News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

To Garb or Not?

Started by Brother Robert of Essex, August 06, 2008, 01:04:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pinn

As far as the case in point.. my name is Pin'n M'Crack.......amusing story behind that, but that is for another time, hopefully face to face ;D

to find out more of us look in the Squires Tavern and find the Clan M'Crack.
I.P.B.
IWG# 3681
Ette
ROL #101
FOKTOP

Brother Robert of Essex

Hey all - thanks for the feedback! That does cast things in a new light, I will have to try this in garb of some sort.

I can get away with something simple my first go around right? Do you think maybe just a robe would work? I can get one of those sent to me before Saturday.  I think building a whole persona and full set of period clothing might take me more than a few days.

And what does one wear under a Monk Robe? I tried looking on the net for this and got a lot of info about Buddhists  lol   Do I just wear street clothes under there?  What do you do with your wallet, cash, credit cards, keys - and even camera?   

theChuck

you could always buy stuff at the faire, you know. stop into one (or more) places and they'll help you get outfitted. after that, just grab your regular clothes, run back to the car and change.
The Renlist - find faires near you!

Pinn

What do you think they wore? ::)
I.P.B.
IWG# 3681
Ette
ROL #101
FOKTOP

Brother Robert of Essex

Quote from: PinnMcrack on August 07, 2008, 10:46:16 AM
What do you think they wore? ::)

It's only obvious to you folks because you have been doing it so long.   You forget what it is like to take your first step into this.  :-\

Do they wear breeches or trews and a shirt under it? Do they wear those leggings/hose like I've seen? Is it some sort of Tunic like the Romans wore? Do they wear nothing under it?

I'm sorry if the questions seem utterly stupid to some of you - I'm just asking about things I couldn't find a obvious answer to elsewhere online. 

I mean in the last few days I've researched a lot of related topics hoping to get an understanding but I'm hoping those with detailed knowledge of the clothes and era can help me along as needed. 

Will Gamwell

I think Pinn was trying to be funny with that comment.  Kind of like how a scot always gets asked what he wears under his kilt.

I know a friend who dressed as a friar and just wore trews/breeches and a period shirt underneath.  If it was hot enough out, just the pants. 

No one is really going to know what is under there, so you could wear whatever will be most comfortable for you.

As for carrying needed items, stop by a leather merchant and buy a pouch (or two).  Most decent sized pouches can fit most of what you will need.

Cheers & good luck!
Sean

Brother Robert of Essex

Quote from: Rafe on August 07, 2008, 11:07:01 AM
I think Pinn was trying to be funny with that comment.  Kind of like how a scot always gets asked what he wears under his kilt.

I know a friend who dressed as a friar and just wore trews/breeches and a period shirt underneath.  If it was hot enough out, just the pants. 

No one is really going to know what is under there, so you could wear whatever will be most comfortable for you.

As for carrying needed items, stop by a leather merchant and buy a pouch (or two).  Most decent sized pouches can fit most of what you will need.

Cheers & good luck!
Sean

OH no offense taken - I just hate to sound as stupid as I know I do lol  -

Will do! Thanks Sean!

Will Gamwell

Quote from: Sir Robert of Essex on August 07, 2008, 11:08:20 AM
OH no offense taken - I just hate to sound as stupid as I know I do lol  -

Will do! Thanks Sean!

LOL!  You definately don't sound stupid.  You are researching & asking the right questions.  ...and you came to the right place to ask them in my opinion.

robert of armstrong

Garbing is definitely the way to go.  I suggest that rather than having a robe ordered to you at the last minute, show up at the Faire before opening, see the gate opening show, and go in, straight to a few vendors.

Do a little planning ahead of time; watch a few movies from the period (Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, any of The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, 'A Knight's Tale'. 'First Knight', 'The Princess Bride', 'Black Knight',  etc.).  Watch the costumes.  Get yourself in the right frame of mind, then think, 'What type of character would suit me, what would I like to be for the day?'  Don't copy any particular character, make your persona your own.  It could be as simple as a peasant, a wandering traveller/woodsman, or regular townsfolk.  Townsfolk/peasent costumes can be as simple as a peasant shirt, dark pants and boots.  A simple vest, doublet or tunic  and bracers could easily be added to dress it up a bit.  All of these will be available at the vendors at the Faire.

Or you could go more specialized, as in a Knight, Viking/Barbarian, Swordsmen, Druid Priest/Monk or even something mystical like an Elf or a Wizard.

As you get more advanced, if you should so choose, you can construct a character for yourself, from top to bottom.  Your imagination is the limit.

Check out websites.  Search out Scottish/Irish/Celtic stores near you, they have nice peasant style shirts and other items.  Check for costume shops, rentals, etc. in your area if cost is a limiting factor for you.

Most of all, have fun with it.

Always on the lookout for my next noble cause.

And because a flail don't need reloading, that's why.

Lady Christina de Pond

it's the air maybe you know your part of the group putting on garb

i know it's different it's just something you have to try going in Garb is like putting on wings and soaring with the birds while birds are nice on the ground when you put on wings your one of them.
Helmswoman of the Fiesty Lady
Lady Ashley of De Coals
Militissa in the Frati della Beata Gloriosa Vergine Mari

Joyce "Delfinia DuSwallow" Howard

To GARB or not to GARB that is the question! GO GARB.Try it you'll like it. :D
MDRF Dandy  "Delfinia DuSwallow"
Sun'n Penny - Clan O'Morda
LandShark #71
Maker of Buttery Nipples

Lady Renee Buchanan

Definitely, faire is more fun when wearing garb.  But I suggest to take it slow.  Most of us here will agree that what we bought to wear the first time at faire is not the garb we currently wear.  As we learn more and more, by talking to and looking at other people, our tastes will evolve, and the black velvet bathrobe with a zipper up the front with the chain belt and a wreath of flowers on my head now doesn't seem as wonderful as it did 28 years ago when I first wore it and thought I was the cat's meow.

Don't break the bank and buy yourself an outfit that you may wear at first and then it sits in the closet, and you are saying to yourself, "My god, what was I thinking??"

Also, you don't need to have a name, character, persona, history, etc. put together in 1 weekend.  There are many of us here that don't have a character, just love to go in garb.  The most important thing is to enjoy yourself, and enter into the fun.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

BrokenArts

Unless you know right off the bat what you want to *garb* in, that takes time to figure out.   I found it fun to watch other people in their costumes, see what interested me. 

Money wise, that takes time too, budget within your means.  Unless you have the cash to drop immediately, which most of us don't. 

Take your time, see what tickles your fancy.  Then slowly add to your collection, piece by piece.  Towards the end of the faires, some vendors are more willing to make a better deal, to get that sale. 

Oh the things to think about.

Lady Annue Brandywine

For me going in garb is half the fun. I have convinced most of my family to do it (they were a little hesitant at first) but even the most skeptical was glad they have garb. It took time though.  My husband wears a poet shirt a tunic and a belt, and than he just has black jeans and black shoes. I think he secretly desires leather armor but $$ is an issue. It may have been a little harder for him to find something he felt comfortable in than it was for the girls. I think going in garb makes it even more fun go for the garb :).  

CountessofPhoenix

My stepdaughter was hard at first to convince to go in garb. Last week she asked if she could have a new dress!!! You don't go to the beach in a tux and you don't go to the theatre in cutoffs, same applies here. When you dress the part you feel as if you are that part. My husband first had a monks robe because it was easy to sew, the day the beautiful girl kneeled in front of him and asked what could she do to atone for her sins, made his day!
Countess of Phoenix
Descendant of Celtic Nobility
Designer Extraordinaire
We are only limited by what we can dream