News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Did Pet Policy Change??

Started by Merlin the Elder, February 18, 2016, 12:04:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Merlin the Elder

I noticed a lot of dogs at Sherwood opening weekend. Some were service dogs, but there were quite a few that were not ID'd as such.  Has there been a change from what is posted on the website?
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

KiltedPrivateer

Supposedly, only service dogs with a vest would be allowed in. The only two that I had seen that did not meet that criteria are the wolf hounds which I believe were "cast".
Member of Clan Procrastination
Crew of the Procrastinator
Lover of Lady Kitara

Merlin the Elder

I saw a number of others. Not complaining, mind you... it just caught me off guard, and I was queried about the policy.

mpullen

Since I provide ADA assistance animal training for the SWFF staff, I believe I can provide a definitive opinion on this matter.

Folks have mentioned not seeing a ADA certified vest on the dogs. Actually, there is no such thing. There is not a government agency that provides these. There are, however, many online companies selling such vests and certificates.

Per the federal and Texas state ADA regulations, we cannot demand any proof that a dog (per Texas law, only dogs can be service animals) is a service animal. We can only ask two questions. Depending on the answers, we must determine if the dog meets the requirements. The dog can be either a service (assistance) animal or a comfort (emotional support) animal. The first can be in the Faire area, the second cannot.

If anyone wants more details, I have the full printout of the Texas ADA service animal regulation. Catch me in Faire and I'll show you, or you can search online (such as Texas ADA service animals).

Enough said.

Merlin the Elder

Thanks, Mike. As I said, it wasn't a complaint, but merely an observation. I had seen service dogs on site before, but never that many. The record attendance may explain that!

PrincessDeEspana

Quote from: mpullen on March 01, 2016, 01:07:05 PM
Since I provide ADA assistance animal training for the SWFF staff, I believe I can provide a definitive opinion on this matter.

Folks have mentioned not seeing a ADA certified vest on the dogs. Actually, there is no such thing. There is not a government agency that provides these. There are, however, many online companies selling such vests and certificates.

Per the federal and Texas state ADA regulations, we cannot demand any proof that a dog (per Texas law, only dogs can be service animals) is a service animal. We can only ask two questions. Depending on the answers, we must determine if the dog meets the requirements. The dog can be either a service (assistance) animal or a comfort (emotional support) animal. The first can be in the Faire area, the second cannot.

If anyone wants more details, I have the full printout of the Texas ADA service animal regulation. Catch me in Faire and I'll show you, or you can search online (such as Texas ADA service animals).

Enough said.
What a well stated reply! Now that I have a service dog of my own I am always ready to explain the ins and outs or at least as much as I can. I am also happy to hear that there is a person dedicated to training the staff at the faire about service animals and ADA laws. Thank you for making my heart happy. I am hoping I will get to take Millie out there this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ginette

Quote from: PrincessDeEspana on January 16, 2017, 04:22:30 AM

Enough said.
What a well stated reply! Now that I have a service dog of my own I am always ready to explain the ins and outs or at least as much as I can. I am also happy to hear that there is a person dedicated to training the staff at the faire about service animals and ADA laws. Thank you for making my heart happy. I am hoping I will get to take Millie out there this year.

Mike,
Is there any way that the front gate staff and ticket booth employees could get a refreshers on the laws, rules and regulations of and about service animals? I know having worked at and with the front gate the last couple years, there are so many new people working there as well, I feel a refreshers on the laws, rules and regulations of and about service animals would be much needed.

Thanks!
Weddings & Events at Sherwood Forest Faire.
PR for life!

mpullen

Quote from: Ginette on July 18, 2018, 09:25:33 AM
Quote from: PrincessDeEspana on January 16, 2017, 04:22:30 AM

Enough said.

Mike,
Is there any way that the front gate staff and ticket booth employees could get a refreshers on the laws, rules and regulations of and about service animals? I know having worked at and with the front gate the last couple years, there are so many new people working there as well, I feel a refreshers on the laws, rules and regulations of and about service animals would be much needed.

Thanks!

Good idea. I'll add that to my 2019 to-do list.

Ginette

And you Mr. Pullen are great!!
Weddings & Events at Sherwood Forest Faire.
PR for life!