News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Thoughts on Character Building

Started by Ser Charlemagne, March 10, 2016, 09:52:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ser Charlemagne

This is sort of a funny thing, as I created my garb just to have garb, without a persona in mind. But my partner and her best friend have sort of personas (I say sort of, because I'm not entirely aware how fleshed out they are.), and she made jokes that she was this roguish mercenary and I was going to look like such a fine lady walking on her arm - SCANDAL.

Which just got me thinking about it. My garb is very nice, true. But I was thinking of obtaining, in time, a small hand harp and teaching myself how to play it. I'm a classically trained musician, and can play a few different instruments as well as sing. Thoughts on that angle? I would be carrying a sword on me (because why buy it if you won't wear it!), and a few other items, mug, belt pouch, etc.

ValickOLaris

I like that idea. My only question is how big is it and will you be able to go hands free?

I am a pirate with Irish ten/penny whistles and carry two of them in a sleeve pouch I made. At about 15 bucks a piece they are considerably cheaper to replace than my guitar if damaged. I keep them to the front opposite of my sword and pistol with my flask on the same side toward my back. It works out very well.

I'm not sure how big it is or what you costume looks like but I would think securing it on your back somehow would be the best place to protect it.

Remember: "Y'all" is singular. "All y'all" is plural. "All y'all's" is plural possessive.

stonebiscuit

Walking around playing an instrument at a ren faire where you are not contracted to be a performer is a quick and easy way to get yourself kicked out.

BLAKDUKE

Quote from: stonebiscuit on May 15, 2016, 08:25:35 PM
Walking around playing an instrument at a ren faire where you are not contracted to be a performer is a quick and easy way to get yourself kicked out.

Not 100% sure but I think only if your are soliciting money in some way shape or form for playing.
Ancient swordsman/royalty
Have Crown/Sword Will Travel

Merlin the Elder

Different faires have different regulations. Simplest to check with the venue beforehand. DEFINITELY do not accept money from patrons. That will get you tossed for sure.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...