News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

French Hood Question

Started by Ser Charlemagne, March 16, 2016, 04:07:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ser Charlemagne

I'm trying to figure out the best, most sturdy way to keep my French Hood on my head at all times. I've seen ties, clips, combs...

What has worked for you, and what would you recommend?

isabelladangelo

Pin it to a coif.  The coif is supposed to be worn under the french hood at all times.  Here's a page on making them

Ser Charlemagne

Quote from: isabelladangelo on March 16, 2016, 04:13:46 PM
Pin it to a coif.  The coif is supposed to be worn under the french hood at all times.  Here's a page on making them

I suppose I'm a little confused. My hood has a veil on the back. I assume the coif is to be worn beneath the veil (which is black) and the hood itself, but the site mentions embroidery and such. Let me see if I can find a picture.

You can sort of see it in this image. Sorry for the  bad selfie, haha :)

isabelladangelo

Here are some images of what a French Hood should look like

Here is a coif

The coif goes beneath the French hood to protect it from the oils in your hair.

The coif wasn't always embroidered but most of the extant ones we have are.  Check out the V&A or even the Met - there are plenty to give you an idea of what it should look like. 

Ser Charlemagne

Quote from: isabelladangelo on March 16, 2016, 04:35:44 PM
Here are some images of what a French Hood should look like

Here is a coif

The coif goes beneath the French hood to protect it from the oils in your hair.

The coif wasn't always embroidered but most of the extant ones we have are.  Check out the V&A or even the Met - there are plenty to give you an idea of what it should look like.

Gotcha. Thanks!

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

The French Hoods I have made in the past for clients have ribbon threaded through loops I made with heavy thread on the inside, then tied underneath the chin or tied behind the head.

"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

Ser Charlemagne

Thank you, Kathleen! I'm considering making a coif just because they're simple, and I believe I have the ribbon I need to tie the hood in such a fashion. :D

stonebiscuit

Mine is built onto a heavy-duty plastic headband with teeth, which I find holds in braided hair extremely well.

gem

Also, the hairstyle worn UNDER the coif plays a *significant* roll in anchoring both pieces to your head. You should have a coronet of braids tied around your head. The coif is anchored to that, and the braids keep the whole ensemble from slipping backward. It doesn't all just sit there happily. Your hair does a lot of the work, and this seems to be THE hairstyle that does it.

If you have THE TUDOR TAILOR, there is a step-by-step photo instructions on how to do the braids. Somewhere online there is a tutorial or perhaps video, but really it's simple--two braids, wrapped around your head, pinned or tied or sewn in place. If your hair isn't long enough, you can lengthen your braids with ribbon... or there are even braided headbands you can buy that will work (altho you'd want to make sure they're well-pinned to your own hair).

http://www.modehistorique.com/research/french_hoods/reconstruction_hoods.htm

Ser Charlemagne

Thanks for the infor, but my hair is the length of a men's haircut for the most part. Braids are out of the question as are most braid hairpieces.

I think I figured out a way to fake it though!

Cilean

Quote from: isabelladangelo on March 16, 2016, 04:13:46 PM
Pin it to a coif.  The coif is supposed to be worn under the french hood at all tI haimes.  Here's a page on making them

I have found it is how I create my French Hood, have you tried Tudor Tailor or Sarah Lorraine's versions?  I have tied the TT version in the back of my neck and it has dealt with pretty nasty rain and wind, and I can still hear, I love Sarah's (once I figured it out), because it lays flat for when you travel and then is ready in a jiffy!

Here is Sarah Lorraine's Information!
http://www.modehistorique.com/research/ReconstructingTheFrenchHood_06-2009.pdf

Here is Tudor Tailor's Information!
https://www.etsy.com/listing/111957260/pattern-for-womens-tudor-french-hoods?ref=shop_home_active_8

Lady Cilean Stirling
"Looking Good is not an Option, It is a Necessity"
My Motto? Never Pay Retail