News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Sewing table preferences

Started by Stolenhalo6, March 19, 2016, 03:17:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stolenhalo6

I'm working on an idea for a homemade sewing cabinet with drop down table but I have a few questions for experienced sewers.

First, what is your preferred table top size? Ideally I'd like to use the table for prepwork, measuring, cutting, etc, and to set my machine on. I know I don't have enough space for both at the same time, so I'd be moving my machine when I'm not actively sewing.

Second, what height do you like your table at relative to your belly button when you're sitting at your table? I usually sew at a combo of two different folding tables and my kitchen table, so I've not found the perfect height yet.

Any other advice you have would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Rachel in "real life"
Wench #3893
Careful, she bites.

isabelladangelo

Honestly?  I cut my fabric out on the floor.  I have wood floor throughout the old part of my house and it's just easier than cutting on a table.  I've only seen one seamstress cut out fabric on a table.  Everyone else, they do what I do and throw the fabric on the floor.  It's long, it's flat, and no matter where your fabric is, your cat/dog/furry creature will decide that you laid it out for them.  (Although both my animals know exactly what "get off the fabric" means.)

As for sewing, I just have a sewing desk I bought years ago at Wally World.  It's maybe a half inch shorter than my computer desk?  I really don't know as I've never bothered to look.  I also have my vintage machine that is in it's own cabinet - it's the average height of any end table.  It's made to look like an end table when the machine is "put away" and it's from the 1950's.

Basically, the whole height thing is something I've never thought about.  I'd do what is comfortable for you. 

Ser Charlemagne

I can't cut fabric on the floor because of an old injury, and we always cut fabric on the tables in the costume shop. :) I try to do all my cutting on a separate table from my sewing table, however, for the space!

My sewing table is really just one of those plastic folding table - but I'm looking into getting an IKEA table or desk to take its place, and turn the plastic table into another sort of work station. IKEA has surfaces that you can match with any number of legs, allowing you some customization in height and appearance!

Gwyndolyn

I do my sewing on an old art table I got at a school auction, it is large enough that I can easily cut out gowns and skirts, the wings are large enough that when I am cutting I place my machines under the table out of the way of my feet.  I have had no luck with sewing on desks and smaller tables as i always end up dumping fabric onto the floor and then my project has cat fur added to the party.

Ser Charlemagne

Quote from: Gwyndolyn on March 21, 2016, 11:05:15 AM
I do my sewing on an old art table I got at a school auction, it is large enough that I can easily cut out gowns and skirts, the wings are large enough that when I am cutting I place my machines under the table out of the way of my feet.  I have had no luck with sewing on desks and smaller tables as i always end up dumping fabric onto the floor and then my project has cat fur added to the party.

Oooh. Picture of your repurposed art table please?