News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Historical or Modern which do you prefer and why?

Started by Capt Gabriela Fullpepper, August 06, 2008, 03:46:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Renee Buchanan

I love my garb, but don't want to wear it every day.  To me, garb means "faire," which is a wondrous, magical time.  I only get to go to faire a limited time during the year, so it is so special a thing to me, that I think if I wore my garb every day, then the magic of dressing up and pretending would become well, for a lack of a better word, mundane.

Outside of our way too short faire season, I have had a couple of times to dress in garb.  We did a Renaissance Christmas holiday feast in the windows of our restaurant last year, and I wore my pirate garb to work on St. Patrick's Day (and won the prize for best dressed, I went as Grace O'Malley, the Irish Pirate Queen).  So the magic was there again, and I was excited to wear the garb.  But if I wore it day in and day out, it would become my regular clothes to me and I would miss the excitement and joy of wearing it to my special place -- faire.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Welsh Wench

I totally agree with Lady Renee.
If I wore garb every day, it would diminish the treat and excitement there is of wearing it.

In mundania, I like shorts and tank tops, jeans and sweaters, and a skirt with a pair of stilettos heels.
Show me your tan lines..and I'll show you mine!

I just want to be Layla.....

LadyDracolich

I agree with much of what has been said here.  I love wearing my garb.  I love wearing a corset!  However, I do ride horses and doubt very much that I'd enjoy wearing garb every time I ride.  However, if I could choose any era of clothing to wear everyday (save faire days) I'd love love love to dress like the 40s.  I am a hat freak, so if I had a hat to wear with everything, I'd be happy!  I love the 40's style too.  Everything was so clean cut and women looked like women. 

So, as much as I love wearing my garb, I don't think so for every day wear.
I don't know what you've heard, none of it is factual, but it's all true.

maelstrom0370

Personally, I love my bodice! And nothing makes me feel more "girly" than....oh wait....ummmm....wrong forum!  :o

Seriously, though, I have an odd inseam, so most off-the-rack jeans/pants/slacks end up too long or too short.  Due to that I tend to live in shorts so a kilt was a no brainer for me when I started shopping for garb.  I love the dang thing and were I a little braver, I'd probably where one all the time.  As it is, I love dragging it out for faire, but for the most part tend to prefer the convenience of modern clothes.

Kate XXXXXX

While I'd love to wear the little garb I get to make for myself, there are fewer opportunities here in the UK unless you belong to a group that holds historical events.  Nevertheless, when I get the chance, it is a lot of fun.

As I usually work at home. I get a VERY wide dress code!  I've been known to get stuck into some research before eight in the morning and not be dressed by lunchtime!   ;D  If I have clients coming, I'm always tidy, and usually try to wear something I have made, though this is less relevant when they are coming for wedding or historical stuff.  As I often need to crawl on the floor or climb into the loft for stuff, I tend to wear comfortable knits with elastic waists.  Teaching and being a mum taught me that everything needs to be washable, too!  ::)  So while it would be fun to greet the clients dressed like this...

...THIS is more likely!

Yes, I do climb the loft ladder in a skirt and high heels if I have to, though I tend to wear trousers if I suspect a loft-ladder day is ahead.  After all, as a kid I climbed trees in dresses!

BonnyHeather

Lady Renee makes a very valid point here. Faire is magical for me as well, and while I agree with some others that the positive attention it garners from people not normally involved in our historical interests is fulfilling and wonderful, I wouldn't want to wear it everyday. I absolutely love the feeling I have when wearing it, not only the more feminine aspect but just the good feeling of being immersed in history through clothing makes me happier than anything. I agree that wearing it daily would take that *high* away and make it not as special.
There is something to be said for wearing skirts though, come wintertime they seem warmer with a pair of stockings then any jeans or other slacks can boast, or at least for me that is. ;)
~BonnyHeather

Love Good Wood

do you think that people in 500 years from now will want to dress up in "20th Century Garb"?... cargo shorts, concert T-shirt, Nike shoes, ball cap (on backwards!!!)... etc.

I just got back into "Faire" after being away from it for 20 years... Garb is great, and when "Playtrons" wear grab it adds to the visual... but I can't see laying around on the couch in a Doublet, ruff shirt, Paned Slops and knee boots. I think most people that say they would wear garb everyday would get bored with it... it wouldn't be "GARB" anymore... it would just be plain old clothes.

there are similar modern clothes like 16th century... i wear cargo shorts every day summer and winter and they are almost the same shape and cut as Venetian pants... and a (modern) leather jacket which is similar to a doublet and your almost living in your modern garb.

but i do have to say... nothing looks better than a woman (any size) in a low cut chemise and tight bodice!!!

thanks