News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Fit of Simplicity 4059 doublet?

Started by gem, May 31, 2012, 07:50:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derrickswife

HI everyone!  i'm new to this site and new sewing doublets.  ok, I'm a Mundane....sorry. :)   I'm making this one for my husband and he wants the sleeves attached so that when he is fencing, the blade does not go in-between the opening and hit skin. Any suggestions??  also I am using an XL.  the shoulders and length will be ok, but i'm worried about the belly area.  he has a beer belly but drinks no beer.  you get my point.  what is the best way to add extra room in the stomach area without changing the shoulder area.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Butch

Welcome!  Please review Gem's posts (above) on how she modified the pattern for her FIL.  The 4059 does fit kind loose, you may want to do a mock up in the XL just to see if it's already big enough.

What about the sleeve?  How to sew it on?  Sleeve right side out, doublet inside out, and wing right side out.  Assemble all 3 (sleeve  inner most, then wing, then doublet) and pin it (lots of pins!). sew ONCE and turn it right side out to make sure it's right (and you put the right sleeve on the right arm hole!).  If satisfied, turn doublet inside out again and reinforce stitches.  Finish inside edges (or don't) as desired.