News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Renaissance working womens' head coverings

Started by songbird2353, May 23, 2016, 02:34:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

songbird2353

This is partly a question, and mostly a space for debate!

Speaking as one the peasant-y types on this site, how do you keep your hair covered and out of the way while playing a lower class character? Muffin cap? Two-piece coif? One-piece coif and forehead cloth? Biggins? Additional flat hat? What do you folks wear and why do you like it?

(Mod, please let me know if this post should be in Garb)

isabelladangelo

It depends on what region the rest of my dress is.  Italian - I just put my hair up in braids around my head and that's it.  I don't cover my head for that unless I need a straw hat for sun protection.  Rarely, I'll use a veil on the back of my head but that's more for upper class stuff.   English- I use the style of coif they actually used in period.  Here is one I did years ago.  I use a plain one for lower class garb.  The muffin cap is pretty much a modern invention as it's currently worn.  I've never heard of a two piece coif.  A biggins is a coif. 

If I'm doing upper class or it's a very sunny day, I will wear another hat over my coif - either a straw hat for the sun or a tall hat if I'm doing upper class.