News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

the Mandela Effect

Started by Lady Mac, May 25, 2016, 07:43:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Mac

If you don't know what it is, google or youtube it. Might be more amazing to
those of us 40 or 50+ yrs of age. I'm still stumped on the Ford and VW logos,
Fruit Loops and Mirror, Mirror on the Wall. Movies have changed, logos, books,
even the Bible and people you thought were dead are still alive. Very strange.
I'm finding new 1s almost everyday. Am I going bonkers? Feedback please!
Lady Mac's Horns, Canes @ Staffs
Every Lord needs a good stick...
Every Lady too.

Merlin the Elder

Stop taking the brown acid...

Seriously, though, I got into an argument with the Bride just the other day about something we had discussed (I thought). Oddly, I distinctly recall the conversation, but she says it never happened. Being the male in the argument, I am supposed to lose, but I swear it was real.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Butch

I remember it as Froot Loops.  I remember BerenstAin Bears.  I do not remember Mandella dying (until recently).  Sorry.

Breandan

This is likely a result of branal schisms, where one universe will have a brief split in probability tracks created by a nexus event, giving birth to a new alternate universe (or partially connecting to an extant one where those events occurred/did not occur), but the paradox is self-healing and the schismed branal bubble universe rejoins the primary, or the "bump" between existing universes ceases. So, according to physical evidence and documentation, nothing changed. However, people's memories- which are tied to something that transcends the limitations of a single universe, and are therefore resistant to the reset mechanics- will have data from BOTH universes, even if only fragmentary.
Author, bladesmith, and fuzzy teddybear.

"I've fought my wars and drank my mead in this life, the afterlife for me will be one endless renaissance festival with an old-school tabletop game store the size of a Costco next door ;D " - me

Lady Mac

Interesting response Breandan, thanks. Ties into some of the explanations I have found so far, as in for symptoms rather than the effect itself. Some of the explanations have been; merging solar systems effecting gravitational waves, (ie* Nibaru), CERN experiments actually opening dimension portals and/or actually crosses lines of reality,  and Harp experiments causing earthquakes (the increase in earthquakes is off the charts on the planet), that are affecting time lines, and increased tech advancement of Quantum computers saying that reality itself is just an illusion. That's just 4 explanations that make a bit of sense. There are more that are even further "out there" than that.

I might leave these 3 things for food, other than the others mentioned up top. These I have found since and I swear, 99.99% are true. In my lifetime I remember Haleys' Comet, my parents and grandparents remember it as Haleys' Comet. When did it become Halleys' Comet?(pronounced like Sally)

Prince had a song called "Let's Go Crazy" I remember singing this song on the radio! "We are gathered here today to celebrate this thing called life" When did this song change to "We are gathered here today to get through this thing called life?" No way, No how!

For the 3rd, I am going by what L'il Mac has told me. He is a James Bond fanatic. He's has and has read all the books, has and has seen all the movies, at least and more than 5 times each. In the movie "Moonraker," after Jaws crashes the ski lift into the control tower, throws an enormous gear of himself, finally comes face to face with the love of his life, Sally. He swears on a stack of bibles that when Sally smiles she is wearing braces, then Jaws smiles back with a mouth full of silver, titanium teeth. He says that's what made the scene stick. It was hilarious. She flashed her silver and then he flashed his, then they walk off together. Now in the scene she has no braces. He says the same thing as me, shaking and scratching his head, No Way, No How!

Adding also, when the heck did a Kit-Kat bar lose the hyphen, always had it in my memory. Now its simply a KitKat bar. Does that look strange to anyone? If any of these you say nuh-uh, then you are or partially in my reality too.
Lady Mac's Horns, Canes @ Staffs
Every Lord needs a good stick...
Every Lady too.

Merlin the Elder

I can confirm the comet name difference, although Wikipedia does offer both pronunciations. I am not certain of the spelling difference, but I think it is shown on a map of the Solar System that my grandmother gave me as a kid... I'll see if I can find that, and report back.

Don't know about the Prince item.

Sally did have braces. Why in the world would that change??

Butch

The comet.  I remember BEFORE it came into our view, it was referred to (phonetically) as HAIL-ease comet.  I distinctly recall, that when it was approaching, it was commonly referred to as HAL-lees comet.  I put that down as the common wisdom changing the common pronounciation (like conch or roof).  I do not recall the spelling, so I do not know if that shifted.

Let's Go Crazy.  I'm not sure, but I seem to remember "get through" vice "celebrate".  I do know that they had two versions that were played, with a difference in the sermon-like intro (the part that contains the words in question).  Kinda like B52s Love Shack, the passage that says "Bang, bang, bang; on the door baby".  Where one version has it 4 times, and one version has it twice.

Moonraker.  Can't say if she had braces or not.  I was about 16 when I saw it in the theatre.  I remember her smiling.  I thought  the memorable thing was that Jaws was so huge, and (Sally?) was so petite, the opposite attraction.

Maybe I've always been in this dimension, and the rest of you are transplants?

KitKat Bar.  I don't remember one way or another.  I do remember a "Sprint" bar, on the market right before then, with the 'bars' going the long way (opposite the KitKat).  I remember Mars Bar being flat with whole almonds on top of the nougat, then covered with chocolate; and I recall them changing it to be like a  Snickers bar.

Here's one:  The Slinky jingle.  I've heard some people singing it different than I remember.

What about that song "The Name Game"? Shirley Shirley bo-birley, banana fanna fo-firley,...THEN WHAT?  Fi-fie-fo-firley (which I've heard a LOT, but I remember different) or Me-mi-mo-mirley (yes!)...SHIRLEY. 

RefMom3

This reminds me a bit of the idea that nothing happens unless it is being observed, and that the act of observing changes how something will behave...although I don't know how that is proven, since if nothing happens without being observed, I don't know how behavior could be different it if hadn't been observed in the first place (this also reminds me that my ex-husband often said if I ever took a philosophy class, my head would explode...).
My favorite author, Terry Pratchett, often played with these sorts of ideas, about memory, time, dimensions, etc. In "Thief of Time," Death realizes the end of the world is near, and is rounding up the gang for the final Ride Out. He calls on War, now married to a Valkyrie, and is trying to persuade him to join. War asks his wife, "Do I ride out, Dear?" she says, No, it brings on your trouble, and the conversation goes on a bit. Death looks between War and Mrs. War, fascinated, because he'd never before heard of keeping your memory in someone else's head (which is a sort of prescient thing for him to have written, considering that Pratchett himself developed a form of Alzheimer's later).

Merlin the Elder

Philosophy WILL make your head explode...