News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

WIP Elf Costume FA In Need of Advice

Started by Kelvanen, June 13, 2016, 11:59:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kelvanen

Good evening, or morning depending on the time zone,

I am new to this forum and would first off like to say hello to the wonderful people out there. I have been into the ren fair/ fantasy look for a long time (LoTR nerd woop woop) though the only one near me has been a good ways away. Having spent 2 years in college I now have enough experience to get a decent enough paying job to be able to afford visiting. As such I have invested time and money into pulling together this little costume.
    The armor is made from craft foam with fake leather stretched and sewn over it, then painted a bit to make it more realistic. All the cloths I got from the thrift store then sew them and edited them to my liking. The bow I made my self, it is a hickory bamboo backed longbow and is 42 lb. The only piece on here I did not make is the sword. As you can imagine I tend to go the affordable rout, and as such the costume it's self cost $40 to make, with then another $20 going into failed attempts in the past ha ha! The bow was another 60 between the stave and then making it by hand with traditional carpentry tools I already had.
    As for advice, I was looking for affordable additions to the costume, or changes people might suggest. The only thing I had planned was to buy or make a quiver, crown or helmet, and boots. The boots have been the most problematic as my budget tends to be on the low end. I modeled this costume after second age elven armor in LoTR, with influences from the mirkwood elves at later dates. I also love deer to death so I have put several deer themed accents about the piece.
     Well anyway any comments or suggestions would be helpful! I am new to this sort of thing, and also the ren fair scene in general. If this is also in the wrong section of the form let me know. I will also be making an OC soon! Thank you and have a wonderful rest of your day/night.

(also enjoy my pro face blurring, and make note there is a long sleeve version lol)

[/URL]

Butch

My son has a pair of these, with no complaints:  https://www.etsy.com/listing/386011210/viking-lace-shoe-leather-mil435?ref=shop_home_active_9
Your garb looks great!  Check with the faire you plan on attending regarding weapons policy.  Different faires have VASTLY different rules on weapons (swords, bows, arrows).
You may be able to find Chukka boots at a thrift store, which only need minor modifications to make them look right for ankle boots.  I have glued fabric onto the outside of a pair of sneakers for someone before, so they resembled jester shoes.  You might try something like that with some suede (or pleather) to resemble LOTR footwear/ankle boots?
Good luck!

Toua Taru

I really like your look! You've done a great job and love the detailing in the "leather"

My suggestion on boots is try your local stores - Target, JC Penneys, the mall, etc. I'm not sure on the men's selection but these are the stores I've found all my boots for faire usually around the fall and winter time. You could also try Amazon. Keep an eye out!! :)

I know deer antlers can be pricey - I've been looking to incorporate them into my garb as well. If you're for odd and end pieces you could try PetCo or PetSmart in their rawhide treat section. They do carry small antlers and horns - they do round out the points. But they seem pretty affordable if you're just looking for an accent.

Maybe you could add in a cape or cloak too?

Keep us updated on your finds!!
Leave a little sparkle wherever you go

House Hufflepuff
Lady of The Eighth House

KitchenWitch

I love it. I am so envious you are crafty and can see.