News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

New music Fest @ Sherwood

Started by scarletnyx, June 29, 2016, 12:29:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scarletnyx

So looks like there is a new music Fest using the Sherwood grounds! Not my cup of tea, and some of the comments give me worry about how they're gonna treat the grounds, but it looks fun nonetheless. Check out http://kxan.com/2016/06/28/lineup-for-austins-first-sound-on-sound-fest-announced
for more info.
2013 RenNado Survivor
Phoenix Risen

Merlin the Elder

???  Interesting move. I guess we'll see the results when it's over.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

scarletnyx

Quote from: Merlin the Elder on June 30, 2016, 06:01:05 AM
???  Interesting move. I guess we'll see the results when it's over.

Yeah I'm waiting to see too. Plus side, more people exposed to ren faires. Down side - hipsters!

As long as they have fun and respect the grounds it should be all good.
2013 RenNado Survivor
Phoenix Risen

RenStarr

I wonder how it's going to work with these folks camping in the clan sites.  The structures that have been built, plants, fences, etc.......   If some damage is sustained to some of that stuff that allot of hard work went into, well you know where I'm going.   :-\

Update:  I see on FB that Zane has addressed this concern.  Free weekend passes for 2 clan members from each clan to act as a camp host's.  So at least there will be someone in each camp to monitor what's going on. 
Spiced rum....hmmmmm
Greetings, try this.
Starr Gazzer.
2013 TRF AHE RenNado.....heck of a night

mpullen

This was addressed at the clan leader meeting this past Saturday.

Clan leaders are to submit to me the two names (not Fairenames, but names on driver's licenses) sometime in October, so that I can consolidate and submit to the event management. More discussions on the clan leader Facebook page.

scarletnyx

Quote from: mpullen on July 04, 2016, 01:01:38 PM
This was addressed at the clan leader meeting this past Saturday.

Clan leaders are to submit to me the two names (not Fairenames, but names on driver's licenses) sometime in October, so that I can consolidate and submit to the event management. More discussions on the clan leader Facebook page.
Huzzah! That seems reasonable.
2013 RenNado Survivor
Phoenix Risen

Ginette

I like that more people are going to learn of Sherwood now and that there is money flowing into Sherwood for up keep.  But we wont know if we don't try.  Eric, Brian and George wouldn't do anything to hurt or harm Sherwood as well.   :)
Weddings & Events at Sherwood Forest Faire.
PR for life!

mpullen

BTW, expected attendance is over 10,000 per day.

scarletnyx

Quote from: mpullen on October 26, 2016, 10:52:25 AM
BTW, expected attendance is over 10,000 per day.
Yeah it looks like it's been an awesome weekend so far! It'd going to be interesting to see if people come back for Sherwood and point to this festival as a reason.
2013 RenNado Survivor
Phoenix Risen

PollyPoPo

Comments on FB by a few clan members say camping is packed, but very calm (certainly as compared to camping during Sherwood Faire).  The grounds are packed with visitors but everything seems very controlled, but enjoyable. 

Curious as to why this music festival apparently does not attract the destructive forces, I took a look at the SOS web site.  Costs (rounded off and including tax) for entrance to the event is about $90 a day or $180 for three days.  Camping is $80 per person and only available for people buying the 3 days pass.  So camping would be $260 per person.  (Seems like parking out front is $30 for 3 days or $15 a day.

There are restrictions on campers, including "no outside alcohol" or fire making materials (no campfires?).  They do have a store, various entertainment, and food available for campers. 

Looks like this event is for serious music/performance fans, not a bunch of kids just wanting to party.  All in all a generally good type of crowd showing up en mass at the forest.

Polly PoPo
(aka Grannie)

KiltedPrivateer

Quote from: PollyPoPo on November 05, 2016, 09:38:20 PM
Looks like this event is for serious music/performance fans, not a bunch of kids just wanting to party.  All in all a generally good type of crowd showing up en mass at the forest.

I think that that is an excellent observation Polly. I believe we all feared the campground would turn into Woodstock 2016 (The Sherwood version). Thankfully that fear did not come to pass.  I'm really glad that our Clan P. musicians were the ones to host our site. Probably a bonus that they have something in common with the other attendees.
Member of Clan Procrastination
Crew of the Procrastinator
Lover of Lady Kitara

scarletnyx

Quote from: KiltedPrivateer on November 06, 2016, 08:40:09 AM

I think that that is an excellent observation Polly. I believe we all feared the campground would turn into Woodstock 2016 (The Sherwood version). Thankfully that fear did not come to pass.  I'm really glad that our Clan P. musicians were the ones to host our site. Probably a bonus that they have something in common with the other attendees.

That makes me so happy! I hope we see some of the music goers back for Sherwood.
2013 RenNado Survivor
Phoenix Risen

Asger

Comments on FB by a few clan members say camping is packed, but very calm (certainly as compared to camping during Sherwood Faire).  The grounds are packed with visitors but everything seems very controlled, but enjoyable. 

Curious as to why this music festival apparently does not attract the destructive forces, I took a look at the SOS web site.  Costs (rounded off and including tax) for entrance to the event is about $90 a day or $180 for three days.  Camping is $80 per person and only available for people buying the 3 days pass.  So camping would be $260 per person.  (Seems like parking out front is $30 for 3 days or $15 a day.

There are restrictions on campers, including "no outside alcohol" or fire making materials (no campfires?).  They do have a store, various entertainment, and food available for campers. 

440 dollars for a weekend of listening to indie/shoe gaze.... with no booze and no fire... .. sounds boring.. But hopefully Sherwood made a killing.

Ginette

Quote from: Asger on November 26, 2016, 11:45:57 AM

440 dollars for a weekend of listening to indie/shoe gaze.... with no booze and no fire... .. sounds boring.. But hopefully Sherwood made a killing.

I hope so too! And I hope there will be more new people out to Sherwood now because of SoS! The little I've heard has all been positive!
Weddings & Events at Sherwood Forest Faire.
PR for life!

LadyJessica

I have heard mostly positive things but I did hear of some destruction taking place in some of the clan camping areas.  Fencing being torn down and holes dug into the ground, for firepits I'm guessing.
Loki GODDESS
Lady-in-Lacing to QOE
FOKTOP
Director of Social Tourture for the Empire
Gneaitheas Gnomie (DG#290)

mpullen

Quote from: LadyJessica on December 19, 2016, 01:24:42 PM
I have heard mostly positive things but I did hear of some destruction taking place in some of the clan camping areas.  Fencing being torn down and holes dug into the ground, for firepits I'm guessing.

Actually no. I caught the folks building in-ground/on-ground fires early Friday and then throughout Saturday. I expended two 10 lb extinguishers in an obvious show that the fires were not allowed. I was happy to explain what a "Fire Ban" really meant.

The rental fee for SOS helped us build the new pub and stage at the previous Vineyard stage location.

Also, this introduced over 2,000 campers to Sherwood Forest Faire, so I expect a record number of camper this year. Going to keep me busy, but I love the idea of packing the campgrounds.

KiltedPrivateer

Yeah, one of those fires was in Clan P.  I was not thrilled when I showed up this past work weekend and found the remnants.
Member of Clan Procrastination
Crew of the Procrastinator
Lover of Lady Kitara