News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

First booth at Faire!

Started by BjornSvalinn, October 17, 2016, 08:00:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BjornSvalinn

Greetings everyone! So as the header stated, my wife and i'saw first booth at a Faire is coming up this January if all goes well in Ft myers, FL :D Being the over preparer that I am Im hoping for some advice and input from veteran and seasoned Faire peers. I've attended many fairest in my life and my wife and I have been making garb and various other things for sale, for the better part of 9 years. I'm not sure where to begin honestly. The application itself is self explanatory. But what should I do to be successful at such a venue??? Camping on site tips???? All advice is welcome! Also, how would knew run debit/credit on site?

Craigmeister

Some faires have a quest for kids.  They ask vendors if they will sign a piece of paper for little ones.  Once so many signatures are on the page, the kids can be made knights or ladies by the faire's royalty.

I used to participate in these to get foot traffic in my booth.  The parents of those on the quest would sometimes stick around my booth for a bit to check out my flyers and maps but most of the time, they were just ready to move on to the next booth so the quest pages could be completed.

I don't do those now.  It does cut down a bit on my visitors but I don't think it's a detriment to reaching patrons very much.  I have more time to focus on those who truly want to be in my tent.

Good luck in Florida and your future faires!

Providing faire information for over 10 years (updated monthly).  Visit www.meistersrealm.com to find all the Renaissance & Celtic-type Festivals in North America.  There's much more to see and do in 'The Realm' as well.

groomporter

Quote from: BjornSvalinn on October 17, 2016, 08:00:08 PM
Greetings everyone! So as the header stated, my wife and i'saw first booth at a Faire is coming up this January if all goes well in Ft myers, FL :D Being the over preparer that I am Im hoping for some advice and input from veteran and seasoned Faire peers. I've attended many fairest in my life and my wife and I have been making garb and various other things for sale, for the better part of 9 years. I'm not sure where to begin honestly. The application itself is self explanatory. But what should I do to be successful at such a venue??? Camping on site tips???? All advice is welcome! Also, how would knew run debit/credit on site?

Most crafters are using https://squareup.com or Paypal widgets with their smart phone or tablet for mobile credit card options these days. I use Square-up, but a friend uses Paypal and has a Paypal debit card connected to the account that they use for purchases on the road.

One thing you will probably need to look into is liability insurance to protect you in case a customer trips in your booth and gets injured. A lot of fairs require that you have liability insurance. Some fairs also require workers' comp insurance if you have actual paid sales help as opposed to volunteer help.
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?