News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Small Faires Participating In Christmas Parades To Advertise?

Started by Craigmeister, November 14, 2016, 08:13:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craigmeister

A nearby Renfaire organizer has entered a garbed group in a nearby Christmas parade to advertise her event.  This seems to be a great way to get the word out about small faires that need more exposure to the mundane world, especially for spring events.

I've also heard of organizers contacting local schools so their groups can visit history and drama classes and spread the word of their faire.

Hope this helps...
Providing faire information for over 10 years (updated monthly).  Visit www.meistersrealm.com to find all the Renaissance & Celtic-type Festivals in North America.  There's much more to see and do in 'The Realm' as well.

Orphena

Up in Ontario - where renfaires are much smaller affairs - the Oxford Renaissance Festival often participates in Christmas parades, Victoria day parades, and comicons to try to boost awareness. Be aware that there CAN be a cost to being part of a parade - for a float, we often pay $500 - for a walking group less. Some parades allow us to have walking fighters, some say we can show live steel, some don't really care.

On average - I do 4 parades - all within 30 minutes of the festival.

You may need more wintery garb - parades can be very cold!

I would say that we do gain exposure from this and it gets people interested.
Luxurious Lady ~ Statuesque Seamstress ~ Winsome Wayfarer
Enjoyer of Elegant Elizabethan Ensembles

Craigmeister

Ah, comicons.  There are some of those around these parts (Oklahoma).  I need to pitch that idea to the local faire.  Gramercy for that good idea.
Providing faire information for over 10 years (updated monthly).  Visit www.meistersrealm.com to find all the Renaissance & Celtic-type Festivals in North America.  There's much more to see and do in 'The Realm' as well.

groomporter

MNRF has a presence in many of the bigger summer parades around the Twin Cities, including the Pride Parade, but I don't think they ever did the "Hollidazzle" in Minneapolis, but then it was an after-dark parade and required all the units to have some sort of lighting, and it ran for a couple weeks so getting people to do that many nights in a row would be hard.
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?