News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

New Blackmore's Night.

Started by Lady Neysa, August 07, 2008, 11:02:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Neysa

Here's a video off their new Album Secret Voyage It rocks out pretty good-catchy tune.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3voGI4_KgmM

RenaissanceInBlood

I love Candace. Such a beautiful woman.

Lumpy

It is a good album. For the most part, I like it very much. When the first song is titled "God Save the Keg", something has got to work! They have a distinct sound which carries through each song, with the exception of one, 'Can't Help Falling in Love'. That's the one song/thing I don't like about it.
Founder, MDRF Friends of Faire
Dread Pirate Lumpy
Lump'n M'Crack

Noble Dreg

Having a bit of trouble with the video link...no doubt I'll by the CD unheard anyway.  Loved their last offering, though a tad dissapointing when it drifted to a more rock sound.  One of my favorites...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ty_0PcWyy0
"Why a spoon cousin? Why not an axe?"
Because it's dull you twit, it'll hurt more. Now SEW, and keep the stitches small

Morgan Dreadlocke

I's not paid much attention to Blackmores music since I didnae care fer deep purple type music at all. Last thursday at an open mic session I was given a Blackmore's Night disc ripped from several different albums. Now come payday I must be buyin' the OEM discs. Sounds a lot like Fleetwood Mac vocals, spanish guitar an gypsy folk tales all rolled up.

Village on the Sand, Way to Mandalay, Loreley, Self Portrait, an Under a Violet Moon, literally jumped offen the disc, flowin' inta me fingertips.

Ya I'm hooked now.
My intentions are to commandeer a venue, sail to Tortuga, then pick, strum and otherwise play me weasily black guts out.

Lady Neysa

Quote from: Morgan Dreadlocke on September 27, 2008, 09:34:21 PM
I's not paid much attention to Blackmores music since I didnae care fer deep purple type music at all. Last thursday at an open mic session I was given a Blackmore's Night disc ripped from several different albums. Now come payday I must be buyin' the OEM discs. Sounds a lot like Fleetwood Mac vocals, spanish guitar an gypsy folk tales all rolled up.

Village on the Sand, Way to Mandalay, Loreley, Self Portrait, an Under a Violet Moon, literally jumped offen the disc, flowin' inta me fingertips.

Ya I'm hooked now.

Another reason to like Blackmore's Night- they encourage patrons to come to their concerts in garb, in which they get up front seating.    I've never been to one of their concerts but I hear they're awesome.  From what I've read they mostly tour overseas in castles and smaller venues, but I think they occasionally do some shows here in the states.  Getting a whole group of folks to go in garb would be so much fun! 

Terry Griffith

During pre-season rehearsals for PRF, I suggested "Under a Violet Moon" as a good opening or closing song.  The ED asked if we would have permission to do it so I called the phone number on their web page.  The band's manager, Carol Snyder, was so happy that we wanted to use it, she said we would have permission to use anything B N had ever recorded.  She even sent me some sampler CDs to give away.  They are truly accommodating and nice people.  She also sent me an MP3 of a new song from the new the "Secret Voyage" CD called "Toast To Tomorrow" and said we might like to use it.  It is a great song with a very gypsy sound.  All the musicians learned it and the belly dancers loved to dance to it.  The whole cast learned the lyrics and it was a great addition to our faire.  It was a big hit at pub sing as well as opening gate show.

They are, in sooth, a great source of good ren music and are truly happy to have us use it.  I like them even more now.
"There's a unicorn that's hangin' in what's known as father's room......"

Lady Neysa

Wow Terry, that's wonderful!  Hearing that makes me like them even more now too!  Sometimes you can really love a band but then become disillusioned if you find out the members don't seem as nice as you thought they were.  I'm so glad that's not the case here!

claymore

They are awesome,saw them in person at 150 seat playhouse in Ct, also that is a great cd.

Lady Renee Buchanan

Since reading this thread, I listened to some of their music.  It is incredible.  I guess I hadn't heard of their music because they are mostly East Coast and we are in the Midwest, and we listen mostly to CDs that we buy from performers at faire.

Definitely on my Christmas wish list.  Can't make up my mind though, if I had to narrow it down to 2 or 3 CDs.  Any suggestions?  I wish they had a "best of," because several of the songs I listened to came from so many different CDs.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

NoBill Lurker

Well Lady Renee Buchanan, my choice's would be...

1-Fires At Midnight

2-Ghost Of A Rose

3-Under A Violet Moon

And for a "Best Of" you could go for...

Past Times With Good Company, which is a live release.  ;D
So what are you doing this weekend?
I'm going to BARF!!!
You're going to...wait...WHAT???

Athena

My favorite is Under a Violet Moon. Renee, to fight ren withdrawal during the winter months, get their live DVD Castles & Dreams. They perform at a German castle (some of the fans are in garb!) and you get a sampling of songs from all their Cd's, plus there's behind the scenes footage and lots of extras.
A book is like a garden carried in the pocket. ~ Chinese Proverb

NorthBayDreamer

I had heard so many folks rave about them so I took the plunge and bought Secret Voyage, Fires at Midnight, and Castles & Dreams.   I love it all.   We just watch both DVDs from Castles and Dreams and my wife was memorized (kept telling me to hush).

Great Stuff.
Lord Lisle (when a Nobel)
Horndog (when a Pirate)
Master Thomas Boddinham (when a middle)
Landshark No. 67

claymore

You can't go wrong with anything Blackmoresnight puts out. Ritchie Blackmore is a perfectionist and won't put out anything unless it's good.

metalcelt

Richie is an unbelievable musician

Loreley is my favorite of the Blackmore's Night stuff