News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Clothing question.

Started by Bid2ask77, September 05, 2016, 09:41:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bid2ask77

My wife and I have been going to the NY RenFair for the last two years just came home after spending the whole weekend there. This year we wanted to start on our clothing for the fair and we want to stick with the theme of pirates. My question is to start off the outfit does this look good.

Thank you for all your help. As I don't know much about this trying to learn and am at the mercy of the sales person at the store.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Toua Taru

Welcome welcome!

I say you're off to a good start. I love the different fabric patterns on your jerkin.

Next you should get some boots (if you haven't already). A few belts of different widths, a sash to wear at your waist, hat, etc if you're looking for that "stereotypical" pirate look. Or something more historical - you can Google photos - Pinterest or check out some of the photo galleries throughout the forum for some inspiration!

Looking forward to seeing your progression and transformation!! :)
Leave a little sparkle wherever you go

House Hufflepuff
Lady of The Eighth House

Merlin the Elder

I would recommend NOT sawing your leg off and adding a peg, but that's just me...

Welcome to the forum.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Quote from: Merlin the Elder on September 07, 2016, 05:52:27 AM
I would recommend NOT sawing your leg off and adding a peg, but that's just me...

Welcome to the forum.

but you got to love the historical accuracy of a peg leg  :P
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Merlin the Elder

I did see a pirate at one of the faires this year that actually DID have the peg leg.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

a6ate

Looks great on you. I like the texture of the fabric, feels authentic.

CalledBirdy

Oh my goodness! I had read this and totally missed the fact that you are already going for "Pirate!" Silly me! I do think that with this look you can get away with a"Barbary Pirate" look as opposed to the typical red, white, black Buccaneer. Tall boots aren't your only option! Short boots or leather sandals would be cool (something like Renaissance Moccasins even). You could also rock a turned up toe. For belts and pouches I always love to peruse Goodwill before investing in something made at faire (so that I can make one large purchase per year). And a drinking vessel! This outfit needs a cool tankard on your belt!

BLAKDUKE

For a boot with a turned up toe(i.e.saracen style)  google Armstreet.com.  They have a great pair
and reasonably price.  I have a pair and they are so comfortable.
Ancient swordsman/royalty
Have Crown/Sword Will Travel