News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Pardon my curiosity, but...

Started by WhistlingAngel, May 30, 2017, 03:21:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhistlingAngel

Okay now please understand, I mean no disrespect to anyone on this forum or in general (ladies)... But I am genuinely curious about this: how strict / lax is the average renfaire dress code when it comes to risqué outfits / partial nudity?

Again, I don't want this question to come across as inappropriate, but the truth is that us guys certainly notice such things. I recently "stumbled across" a blog called 'Ren Faire Boobs' where photos of beautiful bosoms abound. While this blog doesn't seem to sponsor any nudity, I've also run across some of that (nothing below the waste, but some bare breasts for sure - body painting seems to be quite popular [especially among West coasters]).

I'm sure that all faires are different, but am I right to assume that showing off cleavage is generally accepted, even at the more conservative faires?

I would like to point out a few things: I'm still very new to the culture, I think people have a right to be who they are / dress how they please, I always respect others, I do like boobs.

I'm interested to hear opinions on this topic... Doug
"Therefore Christian men be sure, wealth or rank possessing, ye who now will bless the poor shall yourselves find blessing." ~ John Mason Neale & Thomas Helmore, s/t 'Good King Wenceslas'

Merlin the Elder

The bare breasts are not the norm, although plenty of cleavage always abounds. I have heard tales of a couple of faires in the Pacific Northwest that are a bit more ... open.

Some faires are more restrictive than others. The same costume may pass muster at one faire, but fail at another 100 miles away.

Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

WhistlingAngel

Thanks for the experienced input Merlin.

I am by no means a gawker, but it's certainly one of the +'s of faire.  ;) ~ Doug
"Therefore Christian men be sure, wealth or rank possessing, ye who now will bless the poor shall yourselves find blessing." ~ John Mason Neale & Thomas Helmore, s/t 'Good King Wenceslas'

Merlin the Elder

No worries, Lad. I'm not a breast man. One of my coworkers upon hearing me say that, a woman, said, "That's so sad!" referring to my Bride, who is more than amply gifted.

Hausfrau Monica

Faire is one of those wonderful places that are open to a wide variety of expression. Very few remain in our social worlds.  Some people take that to mean exposing a great deal of skin....and they must feel comfortable doing so because it is purely their choice to do so.

There is definitely a lot of cleavage on view.  My thought is that if the person was not comfortable exposing and being looked at, then they wouldn't do so.  If a woman were to demand that people expect others to not look, then she should not expose herself in a dramatic fashion.  They are going to look....now, touching, on the other hand....is another matter entirely.  Now, as to how this was viewed historically, I have no clue.  It has been discussed that breasts were seen as a means to feed a baby and not viewed as sexually back then... but who can say.

It goes for the guys too.....I have also seen men be very exhibitionist as well.  One fellow at CoRF was clearly naked except for a bit of fur draped across the important bits.  Did I look? But, of course I did.  Did I stop and stare and point and photograph......maaaaaaybe.  Well built men in kilts with no shirts on....yes, I am going to have my fill of eye candy, indeed.  The barbarians will have they're fun too (men and women).

I think that people can decide for themselves at what level they chose to expose themselves.  We all have our own comfort levels and some have beautiful bodies to carry off such appearances.  Having said that, I do hope that they keep in mind that these are family events and they should remain in context to the time period and characters that they are representing.

WhistlingAngel

Hausfrau Monica, I think your sentiment really nails it on the head with this one. I agree that one of the best attributes of faire is the unfettered ability to express yourself and your creativity. It's great to see young people able to dress up and enjoy themselves in the real world (as opposed to in the virtual world).

With that said, I also agree with you that a certain level of "family friendliness" should be maintained. ~ Doug 

Hausfrau Monica

Thank you.... pop into the chat room sometime. My husband and I are on most evenings

WhistlingAngel

Will do! I'm usually just a "stalker" on this forum, not really active but I want to increase my presence and hopefully get to know some of you awesome people. ~ Doug

Merlin the Elder

Yes...yes, Doug... We are awesome!   ;D 8)