News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Roughing it

Started by Johnwolfe, February 28, 2017, 08:45:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnwolfe

So I've been playing with the idea of roughing it in the wilderness for sometime now,I have a general location in mind for its natural resources and beauty. I know before getting into this some serious preparation is required such as temporary lodging i.e a tent
Means for food such as hunting by bow and ways to stay warm and to cook  meat I acquire .

I do plan on doing this alone, but as I sit and contemplate I know having a few like minded individuals would help ease responsibilities and chores. I am aware that I just might be the only one willing to give up comforts of modern living to try and catch my dream.

Again this is just a thought and isn't in full swing due to all the preparations needed.but I'd like thoughts and opinions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Johnwolfe

I forgot to mention that said idea is to be in as much period style as I can muster

PollyPoPo

Not my thing at all, but I do have a couple suggestions.

1.  Get in touch with some other off-grid groups and read up on their web sites. Then assume that the ones that have web sites are not actually that much into wilderness.

2.  Do a lot of practicing, such as camping over night in a place that does not have electricity, port-a-potties, etc.  Extend that over-night to a week at a time.  Camp with only what you can carry for a couple miles hiking at a time.  Do not take food or drink supplies other than some raw meat you pick up at the grocery. 

3.  Figure out if there will be people shooting at you in your beautiful wilderness.  Forget the ranger types.  If it is truly that remote, you need to scout first to determine if there are drug operations or someone who wants to really be left alone.

4. Study up on the types of animals you intend to kill to survive.  Are you an experienced hunter now?  Do you often catch and kill fish? 

5.  Do the research into what you personally would actually need to survive and then price out the minimum equipment you would need.  Some men would probably need only the clothes on their back and a hunting knife.  Others would need solar power for their electronics. 

Good luck.

Oops, just saw your new msg that it would be as much period as possible.  No electronics, modern tent, hunting bow, fire arms, etc. 
Polly PoPo
(aka Grannie)

Johnwolfe

Maybe a long bow perhaps a no period tent sir to the price of period tents  and yes I do fish but I would have to definitely work on the bow  hunting . And those are some good ideas

Johnwolfe

Not sure where the sir came from my apologies m'lady

Lord Argyl of Lochdubh

Are you employed right now and if so would you have to quit your job ? please let us know if you have proceeded with this endeavor . I would love to know how it turns out. I would like to do this as well but not sure I could actually go through with it.
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are---
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.