News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Could someone recreate this Royal Family Clothiers vest?

Started by Eric the Ugly, March 22, 2017, 03:08:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric the Ugly

I live in GA and thus am a GARF 'native'. It's a spring only fest, as such it's foolishly run in the earliest part of the hottest and most uncomfortable portion of the GA year. As such, garb has to be excessively forgiving to say the least.
Years ago, Royal Family Clothiers offered this 'vest' but around about '07 or so sold them half off and have not sold them since. At the time I grabbed two. Both green. One a bright 'forest' type of green and the other olive. Both corduroy. The olive one ate major portions of itself in a normal wash.
I wear the bright green one often, as it's so comfortable and versatile and light and cool and comfy.

Now, years later, I worry/wonder about the future as this is no longer officially available. So of course I wonder about conscripting those who can to copy the vest and have my own done 'to order'. To whit: I'm curious how difficult/easy this may be and a price range.
I know exactly nothing concerning sewing so I've little to no idea as to the difficulty. There is no liner. It's one layer but there are 'panes' of other fabric (two on the chest, one of each side and one on the back) there is piping/edging or whatever. The shoulders are not separate epaulets but instead the chest bit is cut in a way as to the shoulders to be angled as such. I know, I know. I'm terrible at describing this being ignorant of the proper terms, etc. Sorry. Hopefully the pics inform.

Here are two I found online plus two decent of my own:

Could anyone noodle out what may possibly be done and at nearly what cost? I suppose I'd need to send one of the vests to the potential maker so they could use the actual item as a template, yes?
Any other info?

Thanks so much in advance.
Cheers!
Eric the Ugly

Lady Renee Buchanan

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted is on this forum and is a professional costumer.  She does magnificent work.  You could message her, and I know she will be happy to talk to you.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich