News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Camping! A Core Part of the Ren Experience?

Started by scarletnyx, April 24, 2017, 04:24:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scarletnyx

So as husband and I slowly start to unwind and pack up from Sherwood, I've been thinking about what the faire experience means to me. And while I've been to faires that don't have camping, I strongly feel that at least some sort of outside gathering area is crucial for faire. Hotels seem alright, and showers are very nice at the end of the day, but it does sorta break the immersion for me if that makes sense?

I just can't shake the feeling that an outdoor "chill out" area is needed. I know we are spoiled here in Texas to have TWO faires that have amazing campgrounds, and that it is rare, so I wanted to see what other people thought about it.

So, is camping needed for the full faire experience? Why or why not?
2013 RenNado Survivor
Phoenix Risen

Merlin the Elder

In our younger days, pre-arthritis and other assorted skeletal issues, camping would have been great. In fact, we did a LOT of camping in the early days of our marriage...45 years ago.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

BLAKDUKE

AYE Merlin, same here..   Of course I look at it a bit differently.  I had a motor home and if I can get another, all I would need is an area large enough to park, as I carry all of my other amenities.  If faires would just allow parking, it would be a boon to a lot of people.
Ancient swordsman/royalty
Have Crown/Sword Will Travel

Lady Renee Buchanan

We worked at our first faire in 1980 and have been working or attending faires since then.  We have never camped at any of them.  We belong to different faire groups, such as this, and have made a lot of friends, so there is usually at least one or two people that we "know" at the different faires we attend.

One way to keep the faire feeling after is meeting up with people after the faire and going out to dinner and/or drinks with them.  We also may meet them in the parking lot in the morning or perhaps the evening before the faire.  So not camping doesn't detract from our experiences at faire, because we find ways to connect with others.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

scarletnyx

Quote from: Lady Renee Buchanan on April 26, 2017, 11:05:24 AM
We worked at our first faire in 1980 and have been working or attending faires since then.  We have never camped at any of them.  We belong to different faire groups, such as this, and have made a lot of friends, so there is usually at least one or two people that we "know" at the different faires we attend.

One way to keep the faire feeling after is meeting up with people after the faire and going out to dinner and/or drinks with them.  We also may meet them in the parking lot in the morning or perhaps the evening before the faire.  So not camping doesn't detract from our experiences at faire, because we find ways to connect with others.

I firmly believe that this is one thing that makes the faire community so much stronger than, say, some other niche communities. It seems to be that if the "easy" option isn't there, say camping in this instance, people drift apart. But, rennies work to make things work ( dinners and such like you mentioned ) and that keeps the spirit going!

Quote from: BLAKDUKE on April 26, 2017, 07:22:37 AM
AYE Merlin, same here..   Of course I look at it a bit differently.  I had a motor home and if I can get another, all I would need is an area large enough to park, as I carry all of my other amenities.  If faires would just allow parking, it would be a boon to a lot of people.

Oh, I like the idea of just offering "parking" or car camping. I know that for some faires they simply can't do camping due to X concern, so maybe parking would be a great middle ground?

Quote from: Merlin the Elder on April 25, 2017, 05:39:09 AM
In our younger days, pre-arthritis and other assorted skeletal issues, camping would have been great. In fact, we did a LOT of camping in the early days of our marriage...45 years ago.

I love the fact that Sherwood offers rooms in the castle for rent for this reason. Not everyone can camp out anymore for X reason, and having a hotel room right on the grounds sounds awesome.
2013 RenNado Survivor
Phoenix Risen

Johnwolfe

Never camped at a faire but I believe it would tremendously add to the experience. If the site is period set then it would be even better . However I don't believe it is necessary

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Captain Jack Wolfe

No. For me, roughing it means having to deal with sub-par housekeeping or a glitchy ice machine.
"I'm not sure about people anymore. They're responsible for some pretty nutty stuff. Individuals I'm crazy about, though." ~ Opus

Johnwolfe

Quote from: Captain Jack Wolfe on May 14, 2017, 07:00:33 PM
No. For me, roughing it means having to deal with sub-par housekeeping or a glitchy ice machine.
Lol one heck of a hard time roughing it huh

Merlin the Elder

I tried building a campfire, and the folks at Hampton Inn got really pissed at me.

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Quote from: Merlin the Elder on May 15, 2017, 07:47:30 AM
I tried building a campfire, and the folks at Hampton Inn got really pissed at me.

I told you to build it in your room, not the lobby !!
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Johnwolfe

I swear Merlin ... you didn't hoodoo voodoo mind wipe them lol

Merlin the Elder

Gauwyn, you're ALWAYS getting me in trouble!

CalledBirdy

You know, I grew up attending Michigan Ren Fest with no camping but I lived just a hop skip and a jump away anyhow. Once I started performing at small festivals in college I loved camping with the other performers. It was indeed a time to build community! My home fair is now Washington and my family LOVES the camping aspect there. It is so darn fun! But, we're a camping family for sure. So, while it isn't essential for us (we visited AZ this winter and stayed Air BNB) it is certainly icing on the cake.

Ginette

Quote from: scarletnyx on April 24, 2017, 04:24:28 PM
So as husband and I slowly start to unwind and pack up from Sherwood, I've been thinking about what the faire experience means to me. And while I've been to faires that don't have camping, I strongly feel that at least some sort of outside gathering area is crucial for faire. Hotels seem alright, and showers are very nice at the end of the day, but it does sorta break the immersion for me if that makes sense?

I just can't shake the feeling that an outdoor "chill out" area is needed. I know we are spoiled here in Texas to have TWO faires that have amazing campgrounds, and that it is rare, so I wanted to see what other people thought about it.

Having camped at TRF one time, I won't do it again any time soon.  But I feel I personally am done with TRF.

Now at Sherwood, having camped in clan as well as over in the participant side, they are very different. On the participant side it has a much quitter aspect to it, most of the time by 11pm, and we know we have work to do before cannon. Where as in clan camping there was always someone to talk to if to walk over to a camp fire, but that's also part of the warm hospitality of clans.

I will fess up that I am going back to my clan in the 2018 season, I have missed everyone like crazy. I am also going back to trash crew as I can't be told to stand still or to stay in a 10 by 20 spot. I miss the friendship of clan camping and have never been on a walk about with Scarletnyx, her Alex, Trinn or Teach.
Weddings & Events at Sherwood Forest Faire.
PR for life!

Laird Fraser of Lovatt

Quote from: Ginette on August 23, 2017, 02:41:10 PM
Quote from: scarletnyx on April 24, 2017, 04:24:28 PM

Having camped at TRF one time, I won't do it again any time soon.  But I feel I personally am done with TRF.

Now at Sherwood, having camped in clan as well as over in the participant side, they are very different. On the participant side it has a much quitter aspect to it, most of the time by 11pm, and we know we have work to do before cannon. Where as in clan camping there was always someone to talk to if to walk over to a camp fire, but that's also part of the warm hospitality of clans.

I will fess up that I am going back to my clan in the 2018 season, I have missed everyone like crazy. I am also going back to trash crew as I can't be told to stand still or to stay in a 10 by 20 spot. I miss the friendship of clan camping and have never been on a walk about with Scarletnyx, her Alex, Trinn or Teach.

I understand your stance on TRF, Ginette.  I no longer go inside unless it's a day trip.

On the other hand, you camped with McLotofus, when things were starting to get out of control.  I left the following season, as well as more than a few others...and Clan McShuggenah took all of us in.  Now, with the way that the cards have fallen, Phoenix Risen, Bayou Scoundrels and McShug butt right up against each other, for a total of just shy of 100 people.  A lot of us don't bother with going in since the main reason we are there is for camp and all of our people gathered in one spot.

It sure makes for one helluva party. ;D
Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh
Alba gu brath
Laird of Dunans Castle
Warrior Poet/Loki God