Market Square > Ren Faire Camping

Camping! A Core Part of the Ren Experience?

(1/3) > >>

scarletnyx:
So as husband and I slowly start to unwind and pack up from Sherwood, I've been thinking about what the faire experience means to me. And while I've been to faires that don't have camping, I strongly feel that at least some sort of outside gathering area is crucial for faire. Hotels seem alright, and showers are very nice at the end of the day, but it does sorta break the immersion for me if that makes sense?

I just can't shake the feeling that an outdoor "chill out" area is needed. I know we are spoiled here in Texas to have TWO faires that have amazing campgrounds, and that it is rare, so I wanted to see what other people thought about it.

So, is camping needed for the full faire experience? Why or why not?

Merlin the Elder:
In our younger days, pre-arthritis and other assorted skeletal issues, camping would have been great. In fact, we did a LOT of camping in the early days of our marriage...45 years ago.

BLAKDUKE:
AYE Merlin, same here..   Of course I look at it a bit differently.  I had a motor home and if I can get another, all I would need is an area large enough to park, as I carry all of my other amenities.  If faires would just allow parking, it would be a boon to a lot of people.

Lady Renee Buchanan:
We worked at our first faire in 1980 and have been working or attending faires since then.  We have never camped at any of them.  We belong to different faire groups, such as this, and have made a lot of friends, so there is usually at least one or two people that we "know" at the different faires we attend.

One way to keep the faire feeling after is meeting up with people after the faire and going out to dinner and/or drinks with them.  We also may meet them in the parking lot in the morning or perhaps the evening before the faire.  So not camping doesn't detract from our experiences at faire, because we find ways to connect with others.

scarletnyx:

--- Quote from: Lady Renee Buchanan on April 26, 2017, 11:05:24 AM ---We worked at our first faire in 1980 and have been working or attending faires since then.  We have never camped at any of them.  We belong to different faire groups, such as this, and have made a lot of friends, so there is usually at least one or two people that we "know" at the different faires we attend.

One way to keep the faire feeling after is meeting up with people after the faire and going out to dinner and/or drinks with them.  We also may meet them in the parking lot in the morning or perhaps the evening before the faire.  So not camping doesn't detract from our experiences at faire, because we find ways to connect with others.

--- End quote ---

I firmly believe that this is one thing that makes the faire community so much stronger than, say, some other niche communities. It seems to be that if the "easy" option isn't there, say camping in this instance, people drift apart. But, rennies work to make things work ( dinners and such like you mentioned ) and that keeps the spirit going!

--- Quote from: BLAKDUKE on April 26, 2017, 07:22:37 AM ---AYE Merlin, same here..   Of course I look at it a bit differently.  I had a motor home and if I can get another, all I would need is an area large enough to park, as I carry all of my other amenities.  If faires would just allow parking, it would be a boon to a lot of people.

--- End quote ---

Oh, I like the idea of just offering "parking" or car camping. I know that for some faires they simply can't do camping due to X concern, so maybe parking would be a great middle ground?

--- Quote from: Merlin the Elder on April 25, 2017, 05:39:09 AM ---In our younger days, pre-arthritis and other assorted skeletal issues, camping would have been great. In fact, we did a LOT of camping in the early days of our marriage...45 years ago.

--- End quote ---

I love the fact that Sherwood offers rooms in the castle for rent for this reason. Not everyone can camp out anymore for X reason, and having a hotel room right on the grounds sounds awesome.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version