News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Bodice, skirts and long ribcage

Started by Eirianbryn, May 15, 2017, 05:37:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eirianbryn

Greetings! This is my first question for you fine folks. I've been reading and searching this forum with no luck. So I pose a question.
I bought a bodice at my local fair, I feel it is too short now that I've had it for a while and have added to my costume.
Although the booth I bought it from the lady said it fits correctly. My problem is I have to tie my skirts around the lower part of my rib cage then put my bodice on.  So there's no gap between bodice and skirt.  I am 5'10" and just wonder if it's because my torso is longer than someone shorter? Is the bodice too short? Or is that how you're supposed to do it?
My second part of this is my bodice rides up throughout the day, so I'm thinking of adding loops to the skirts and buttons to the inside of my bodice to use the weight of the skirt to hold it down.
Thoughts? Opinions? I'll work on getting pics if anyone wants to see the fit.
Thank you in advance  :)

songbird2353

Hi Eirianbryn, welcome to the forum!

Bodices fit higher than modern waistlines, and should hit at the smallest point of your waist. On me it's pretty high, right at my lowest rib. Ladies back in the day had their skirt sewn to their bodice so nothing rode up as they went through their day, but attaching the skirt and bodice with hooks and eyes, ties, or loops and button like you said would work out well! I could probably give you better advice if you could post a photo, if that's possible? I've attached a photo below of my skirt/bodice combo. Every now and then I think "huh, the bodice is kind of short" but then I bend to the side and realize that the boning would poke me if it were any longer.

Eirianbryn

Hi Songbird! I did notice a few weeks ago at a fair we went to that where the bodice ends is actually perfect for moving around! I added hook and eye to my skirt and bodice and so far it seems to work well to keep any gap closed.  I'm wondering if the arm holes are too small?  I'll have my daughter take some pics.
Thank you for the reply!