News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Mead

Started by Johnwolfe, March 10, 2017, 08:11:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnwolfe

I got a new gallon mead kit on the way. Hoping to make my first batch soon. Anyone have tips and advice ?

I can't wait ????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Merlin the Elder

I haven't made mead before, but used to brew beer. Cleanliness. Cleanliness. Cleanliness. ... and more Cleanliness.

Keep detailed notes of the process for each batch. That way, if you get an awesome batch, you can do it again.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Johnwolfe

Good idea  Merlin notes will come in handy i plan on using some oak in for a woodsy flavor

Johnwolfe

here we go wish me luck and hopefully a tasty drink after a while

Johnwolfe

It's getting hard not to open it and try it lol  3 more weeks

bcuda77

That is the hardest part. Just waiting........ and waiting..........

bcuda77

Johnwolfe

Indeed but it's almost there

scarletnyx

Looks good! Is it done yet? If so, how did it come out?

Alex and I may try our hand in making Loki this summer. We gotta research what Merlin said about cleaniness and all that jazz before we do though.
2013 RenNado Survivor
Phoenix Risen

Johnwolfe

It finished wasn't no where near the sweetness I desired had a bit of a brew taste to it  I added twice as much honey in the next batch which should be ready to her in the next few weeks . Also it wasn't that strong surprising I feel like I can chug a bit of it and not get drunk :( not sure if something went wrong or what but here's to round two lol

scarletnyx

Quote from: Johnwolfe on April 24, 2017, 06:59:03 AM
It finished wasn't no where near the sweetness I desired had a bit of a brew taste to it  I added twice as much honey in the next batch which should be ready to her in the next few weeks . Also it wasn't that strong surprising I feel like I can chug a bit of it and not get drunk :( not sure if something went wrong or what but here's to round two lol

I've heard it takes awhile to get it really dialed in. Don't get discouraged!
2013 RenNado Survivor
Phoenix Risen

Johnwolfe

Yea I just can't leave it alone for months to tears at a time I might talk a glass out of the next batch then put it up for aging

Johan77

Hey John.
If the next one is a success - would you be able to post your notes and recepie here?
Was thinking to try a batch when i get back from my vecation :)
Where art thou my fellow?

Johnwolfe

I can

Johnwolfe

here's to the first tasting of the second batch :)

Johnwolfe

Second batch is definitely sweeter not sure of alc content but first tasting was good for me I used two pounds of honey about a half packet of yeast and water . Mix water and honey in a pot and heat till honey is melted the pour into fermenting vessel mine was a gallon recipe  add the  wine yeast fill till about three inches is left to the top  with water let sit for about a month then I usually rack it then let it sit for desired amount of time or drink then