News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Southerners Flying North for summer

Started by Toua Taru, July 17, 2017, 05:36:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toua Taru

Good Day all!

My husband and I are planning to attend MNRF their opening 2017 weekend!

We're looking for some advice since this will be out first time visiting the faire and Minnesota. I figured you all would be the best resources ;)

We are looking at staying at Oak Ridge Hotel & Conference Center - advertise on the faire's site. My husband called the hotel and they said taxis and Uber services are not super reliable in this area.
        - What's our best way of getting to the faire site without having to rent a car?
        - Is there a better hotel closer to the faire site that might offer something like a shuttle service that is reliable?

Also - what are some must sees that we shouldn't pass up? We're pretty sure all the acts will be new to us.

Any kind of guidance would be much appreciated! And I'm hoping meet some of you as well if the chance arises :)

Thanks -
Toua
Leave a little sparkle wherever you go

House Hufflepuff
Lady of The Eighth House

Gauwyn of Bracknell

I think Mystic Lake hotel offers a shuttle to/from faire. 

Also at faire check into the Friend of Faire area (it costs like 5 or 10 for the day, but a good way to meet a lot of folks.

I think the feast is a lot of fun.

Check the website for the entertainment and ask any questions.  (I would give recommendations but don't want to forget a good one and get yelled at :)
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Merlin the Elder

Quote from: Gauwyn of Bracknell on July 18, 2017, 09:10:37 AM
.... Check the website for the entertainment and ask any questions.  (I would give recommendations but don't want to forget a good one and get yelled at :)

It's always best to catch Gauwyn when he's sober.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

groomporter

Check out the insult comedy of Vilification Tennis if you don't mind getting offended, but show up early to get a decent seat.

Look for our new sword swallower Kazimir the Hungry. He received Best New Act award last season.
https://www.facebook.com/kazimirthehungry/

The band The Dregs have been voted the "Best Musical Act more than once. original music, covers of Traditional Folk, Southern Rock, Country and Modern pop tunes as well as improvised comedy and mash-ups of varying styles.
http://www.the-dregs.net/

When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

Toua Taru

Gauwyn - Thanks for the info about the Friends of Faire. I've heard the term here on the forums quite a bit, but I'm unfamiliar with it since I don't think we have that at my home faire in Florida.

Merlin - How wise!  ;D

Groomporter - Thanks for info on these acts! We'll definitely check them out. Hopefully we'll be able to see just about everything over both days we'll be there
Leave a little sparkle wherever you go

House Hufflepuff
Lady of The Eighth House

LeslieKavara

Unfortunately Shakopee is a solid 20 miles from MSP so renting a car will likely be your best bet as taking an Uber (at off peak) would run around $30 and taking an Uber to the Festival would not at all be recommended as the traffic backup gets pretty nasty. Mystic Lake does have shuttles that run pretty regularly to get to the Festival but getting from the airport would still be about 25 miles and unfortunately there is not much for public transit out of the city that far.

Puke & Snot are a Minnesota tradition that is definitely a must see.

groomporter

Oh and here is the "Fest Friends" website. Their "VIP glade" is definitely a pleasant, shaded place to relax during the day although some days it can be a little crowed. And since they have a private "privie" it's cleaner than the regular public ones on site. They still have the 2016 form on the website so it might be worth dropping them an Email to confirm the current day/weekend rate.
http://www.festfriends.org/
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?