News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Long time rennies, first time campers! Advice and inside info?

Started by NugBlazer, August 27, 2017, 05:50:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NugBlazer

Huzzah!  My wife and I are from Minnesota and have worked and played at our beloved Minnesota Renaissance Festival for years.  After hearing over and over how great TRF is, we finally made the journey last year and LOVED IT!  Holy CRAP you guys have a great Fest!  It's the only one we've been to that actually tops ours.  So, naturally, we're coming back for more this year! :D

We want to take the training wheels off this time and that means CAMPING.  But, we have some questions.  So, would you please advise?

After scouring this forum and the official TRF site, we've think we've figured out the basics.  We know that we definitely want to be in the main campground.  We also know that there are many established clans that camp in certain spots year after year and that taking one of their spots is... ill advised.  We know about all the various hazards (fire ants, weather than can be hot or cold, keeping valuables locked in your car, etc).  Here is what we don't know:

1.  How do we know if we're taking an "established" clan's spot?  We don't want to step on any toes.

2.  Are the established clans friendly to outside visitors?  If we see a fun-looking group, can we just walk up, raise a mug and say hello?  Or, is that presumptuous?  (At MRF, we have camping and it's a ton of debaucherous fun, but it's only for people that work there, and some groups can be a bit cliquey.  Not sure if TRF situation is different since it's open to the public.)

3.  The campground is HUGE.  We know that the south end is where the action is, and that's where we'd like to be.  Are there any particular areas that you'd recommend?  We have a map that shows all the rows and everything, as well as some of the clan locations, so feel free to be specific.

4.  RV'S.  Does anyone have experience with renting RV's there?  Is it worth it?  Do a lot of people use them or is it mostly tenters?  Are RV's close to the action, or are they in their own area?  (We're cool with tenting or RV'ing, but thought RV'ing could be potentially fun.)

5.  Is it easy to make friends in the campground?  Fest is ALWAYS more fun with others!  We made a ton of friends at Scarborough Faire the one and only time we went about five years ago, but, last year, we found it a bit tougher at TRF for some reason.  We're thinking that it will be easier in the campground since it's full of people who obviously are pretty die-hard rennies like us.

6.  Lastly and most importantly:  we've got garb and want to party!  We've spent 100+ days at Fest and we know the ropes.  We love Safety Meetings (wink), cold beer and hot wenches.  We're looking forward to having the time of our lives at TRF this year, so any advice you can give will be most appreciated.  We'd be happy to return the favor should you ever make the journey north to MRF!

Thank you kindly!  :)
Well met!  Shall we commence a Safety Meeting at once?

Laird Fraser of Lovatt

Fear not, myself and others will be along soon to advise you.

We're dealing with some high water issues, at present. ;)
Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh
Alba gu brath
Laird of Dunans Castle
Warrior Poet/Loki God

NugBlazer

Yeah, after I got no replies, I realized it was probably because of that fetcher Harvey.  My bad.

Johnwolfe

Hausfrau Monica

Any future prognosis for TRF?  How are the grounds affected?  We're booked to come for AHE and hope it will still happen.

Laird Fraser of Lovatt

Ok...first things first, Nug...what weekend are you planning on coming into town? ???
Alba gu brath
Laird of Dunans Castle
Warrior Poet/Loki God

NugBlazer

Quote from: Hausfrau Monica on August 30, 2017, 08:02:02 PM
Any future prognosis for TRF?  How are the grounds affected?

Yes, we'd REALLY like to know this as well before we book plane tickets and whatnot.  Can Terre or anyone weigh in?

Quote from: Laird Fraser of Lovatt on August 31, 2017, 06:58:10 AM
Ok...first things first, Nug...what weekend are you planning on coming into town? ???

We're flexible!  We can come anytime really, but we've heard that AHE is the most fun weekend, so we're planning on that.  Unless you have other suggestions, in which case we're all ears.

Laird Fraser of Lovatt

AHE is a the best choice for merry making.  It's the largest gathering of the clans...and the freaks come out of the woodwork, that weekend.

TRF should've weathered the storm, fairly well.  They got hit with a ton of rain but most of it was a bit to the south east of it and the land has a higher elevation/better drainage than what you see flooding, on the news.  It's probably muddy as Hell and some shops may have gotten water in them but all should be good... ;D

The campgrounds are "first come, first serve" and most clans have "land grabbers" that get there early, to position themselves.  Most will either ask you to scoot over, give you a heads up that they will be right next to you or set up around you, Lol.  My clan will let you know our numbers and that we are a rated "R" camp but then will invite you in for food and drink.

There are always a few A-holes but generally the clans are good people and are flexible...if you see a good spot, near a group, don't hesitate to ask if it's up for grabs.
Alba gu brath
Laird of Dunans Castle
Warrior Poet/Loki God

Trillium

TRF will survive!   We've made it thru many other hurricanes,  floods,  tornados,  even wild fires!

Sent from my SM-G360T using Tapatalk

Got faerie dust?

Laird Fraser of Lovatt

Quote from: Trillium on August 31, 2017, 01:28:57 PM
TRF will survive!   We've made it thru many other hurricanes,  floods,  tornados,  even wild fires!

Sent from my SM-G360T using Tapatalk

Let's not forget Rennado...and the new campgrounds game "Rennie parasailing"
Alba gu brath
Laird of Dunans Castle
Warrior Poet/Loki God

NugBlazer

Thanks for the replies.  No one has mentioned anything about my RV question.  Can anyone weigh in?

Laird Fraser of Lovatt

There are quite a few "mech units" out at camp...everything from large vans to 45' diesel pushers.  The clans usually use member's RV's for walls/borders (aka "circling the wagons") or as hubs of activity for the tenters in their groups.  Pull one in and set it up...it's all good.

I've never personally rented an RV but members of my clan have, with good results.  Get your order in now, if you are going to go that way.

*I crash in the front seat of my SUV...it makes thing SOOO much easier* ;)

BTW...make sure you lock up EVERYTHING before going into faire.  Things grow legs if left unattended.  My clan has a few people that come to camp, for camp and we make it our business to stroll through the clans that border ours...just to make sure things stay where they are supposed to. 
Alba gu brath
Laird of Dunans Castle
Warrior Poet/Loki God

Sir Martin

midnightrose227

Um, ditto.

My husband I have talked about camping at TRF for the past three years and have yet to pull the trigger. I started out with SCA twenty years ago and have done Pennsic, Baronial Encampments, etc., but this is all new to us. 

I'm not in a household, and I have no idea what we're in for.  I'm going to admit to being rather intimidated.  My longtime SCA friend and her husband from out of state are coming in on Friday 10/20 for my birthday, and we all 4 decided to go for it and come camping.  I'm afraid we're going to set up camp 1. far too late to get a spot that's not shoved next to a busy road, latrine, etc. since we won't be able to get there until Friday evening, well after landgrab; 2. next to someone who's going to have issues with us being there; or 3. next to someone WE'LL have issues with (loud noise til 4 in the morning, stumbling drunk through our tent while holding a lit torch, etc.).

We're adventurous (read: we visit BDSM play parties and nude campgrounds from time to time, but we're not die-hard bondage freaks), but we also don't drink (I'm 3 years sober and nothing turns my stomach like the stank of stale beer or whiskey), and in our forties, we absolutely need some sleep; we can't party like we used to.

I'm scared to find out if we don't bunk in with the families with toddlers, we'll be overrun by a drunken horde of crazy people. I'm spending a huge amount of time in the evenings reading through all the posts, but any advice would be helpful. Thanks!
"That's no lady, that's my WIFE!"

Sir Martin

Quote from: midnightrose227 on October 05, 2017, 08:28:32 PM

We're adventurous (read: we visit BDSM play parties and nude campgrounds from time to time, but we're not die-hard bondage freaks), but we also don't drink (I'm 3 years sober and nothing turns my stomach like the stank of stale beer or whiskey), and in our forties, we absolutely need some sleep; we can't party like we used to.

I'm scared to find out if we don't bunk in with the families with toddlers, we'll be overrun by a drunken horde of crazy people. I'm spending a huge amount of time in the evenings reading through all the posts, but any advice would be helpful. Thanks!

Greetings to thee, midnightrose227.  TRF used to (and may still) have an unofficial "bondage camp" whereby the patrons go to great lengths to ensure the privacy of the participants and also keep a respectable distance from others who are not interested in those activities.  Perhaps you can Google it and find more info, but there is a thread in this forum that has some discussion on the camp.  Terre Albert, the TRF General Manager, stated in the thread that they monitored activities and everyone seemed to have a good time without offending those who were camping in the vicinity.  Here is a link to the discussion:

http://www.renaissancefestival.com/forums/index.php/topic,20533.msg431291.html#msg431291