News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Any one else go to this faire?

Started by Lady Annue Brandywine, August 08, 2008, 10:33:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady_Claira

Well let's see Sir Robert...

As a patron, I like NYRF better. Some of the shows are the same. Some are better some are worse. I think the over all set up and the quality of the shows are far better at NYRF. Or it could be just me being biased. I feel like the CTRF is not as good because it is set up as like a weekend faire thing rather than NYRF which is a permanent site and has buildings and such that are permanent and that made it somewhat more appealing. On the other hand, I could just be biased. It was still a ton of fun and I still loved it.

Though I talked to a good friend who works at both faires and she says from the point of view of someone who works at faire, CTRF is far superior and has no where near as much drama or political junk that revolves around the NYRF behind the scenes.

It was still a fun trip and i still love them both. But I like NYRF better. Only my opinion though.
You see this training pin? It could be yours. You could learn all about wenches! And that's a promise! - My friend Mike

Brother Robert of Essex

Thank you my good lady!

It sounds like I really need to get out there and see it then.  I found some mini Ren-faire around my neighborhood put on by some group and it was pretty bad ( Read: Inflatable castles and Moon walk rides ) - obviously couldn't compare it to a real faire.  So as long as its not that, I'm good!

As a side note - Interesting - you know I hear people mention from time to time - that there is "drama" and 'politics' at the Faires. I have never witnessed either ( knock on wood ) and I always find it kind of humorous that something like a Faire, could actually create its own mini political system and drama.

Lady_Claira

I know what you mean. But the drama and politics are always behind the scenes and not an in character thing. The actors are not going to break character, especially if they know they can be scene by patrons. So unless you had an in to the backstage stuff, you wouldn't know of it. I go to class with someone who works at CTRF and NYRF. So I have an idea of what is going on behind the scenes.

But I still love both faires. Very fun.
You see this training pin? It could be yours. You could learn all about wenches! And that's a promise! - My friend Mike

oignuc

This faire is unique among all the faires i've been to . the interaction with patrons is incredible . i've been a vendor here since 1999 and it has grown and gotten better every year in every way . the owners / management treat everyone with a level respect unmatched anywhere . definatly worth attending , but you may need to come more than once to see all the shows never minds the 100+ vendors .

Frederic

Well, I'll be there this weekend - Sunday working and Monday as a patron.  Looks to be a good weekend.  Weather
is predicted to be sunny and pleasant, and the fall foliage is just about prime.  Good days to be outside.

Looks like German merchant garb on Sunday and the kilt on Columbus Day.

Lady Claira, I'm glad you had a good time with your visit, and maybe I'll see you, Sir Robert, one of these days
Merchant of the Hansa, Procurer to the Queen, and complete scoundrel

oignuc

this would be a great weekend to go , the weather will be excellent . not too cold and not too hot and of course dry !

Lady_Claira

Quote from: Frederic on October 09, 2008, 07:01:08 PMLady Claira, I'm glad you had a good time with your visit, and maybe I'll see you, Sir Robert, one of these days

One of these days we probably will meet up at faire. But probably not this year. I am not returning to faire this year. I am done for the year. *tear*

But next year, it is quite possible!

Jay Byrd

I went the 11th and 12th, last minute decision type of thing.  It was a good faire.  The shows we saw were good, the vendors were good.  Though I must echo Lady Claira's sentiments that it did not have the feel of the NYRF due to the setting.  Like I said I did like this Faire, but at NYRF you can, if you let your imagination run wild, feel like you are at a village from the time period.  The trees,  the permanant structures, the selling of Ale, and just the general layout, all adds to the feel of the faire.  Just goes to show how lucky we are to have what we have in NY.  But I went two days and had a great time both days.  I saw people I recognized, saw shows that I had not seen, and got some cool stuff.  I'll have to go again with adults as I always get a different perspective, as I do whatever my kids want when they are with me.

Jay Byrd

Lady_Claira

CTRF is a great faire. But after this weekend I now know 4 people who work at NYRF and the things that they all said is that the cast of CTRF is far better. They love how the cast of CTRF interacts with the vendors more than at NYRF. They love how there is a strong friendship among the cast of CTRF that doesn't exist among NYRF. So while NYRF seems better because of the atmosphere of it, behind the scenes CTRF surpasses NYRF and gives that cast a run for their money...

On the other hand, they are still both quite enjoyable and I love them both.

Brother Robert of Essex

Quote from: Jay Byrd on October 13, 2008, 08:24:30 AM
I went the 11th and 12th, last minute decision type of thing.  It was a good faire.  The shows we saw were good, the vendors were good.  Though I must echo Lady Claira's sentiments that it did not have the feel of the NYRF due to the setting.  Like I said I did like this Faire, but at NYRF you can, if you let your imagination run wild, feel like you are at a village from the time period.  The trees,  the permanant structures, the selling of Ale, and just the general layout, all adds to the feel of the faire.  Just goes to show how lucky we are to have what we have in NY.  But I went two days and had a great time both days.  I saw people I recognized, saw shows that I had not seen, and got some cool stuff.  I'll have to go again with adults as I always get a different perspective, as I do whatever my kids want when they are with me.

Jay Byrd

Ahh! Well if you go again Jay, perhaps we can coordinate efforts/timetables. With enough notice I can attempt the journey..

Frederic

Just got home from the faire today (13th), and was there yesterday as well (Sunday volunteering, and today with my wife as a patron - huzzah for the free passes!).  I finally met Oignuc (seller of fine incense), and stopped by Scotchswatch's booth - Scotchswatch wasn't there but he had told the folks manning the booth that someone from the Forum would stop by, and they were quite friendly. I had to be there today, and free of duties, as I was in the Men in Kilts contest - I didn't win this year, but a rauchus good time was had by all (especially by the wenches running the thing!)

Not having attended a lot of other big faires, I can't really compare the hidden workings and behind the scenes politics very well, but I was always impressed by the interaction between the cast and patrons, and between the main cast and the 'supporting cast' (aka volunteers).  As a patron, it was the free and amusing interaction with the cast that led me to first volunteer (about 4 seasons ago), and its the interaction with the other members of the cast (both main and support) that helps keep me coming back  - that, the free passes for volunteers, and the food they serve in the cast's 'green room'.  Let me tell you - the guy in charge of feeding the cast is good at his job!  On Sunday it was made-from-scratch onion soup and sheppards pie - oohh, good eating!

One more weekend to go, and I work on Saturday.  I'm looking forward to it.

oignuc

Quote from: Frederic on October 13, 2008, 07:26:43 PM
Just got home from the faire today (13th), and was there yesterday as well (Sunday volunteering, and today with my wife as a patron - huzzah for the free passes!).  I finally met Oignuc (seller of fine incense), and stopped by Scotchswatch's booth - Scotchswatch wasn't there but he had told the folks manning the booth that someone from the Forum would stop by, and they were quite friendly. I had to be there today, and free of duties, as I was in the Men in Kilts contest - I didn't win this year, but a rauchus good time was had by all (especially by the wenches running the thing!)

Not having attended a lot of other big faires, I can't really compare the hidden workings and behind the scenes politics very well, but I was always impressed by the interaction between the cast and patrons, and between the main cast and the 'supporting cast' (aka volunteers).  As a patron, it was the free and amusing interaction with the cast that led me to first volunteer (about 4 seasons ago), and its the interaction with the other members of the cast (both main and support) that helps keep me coming back  - that, the free passes for volunteers, and the food they serve in the cast's 'green room'.  Let me tell you - the guy in charge of feeding the cast is good at his job!  On Sunday it was made-from-scratch onion soup and sheppards pie - oohh, good eating!

One more weekend to go, and I work on Saturday.  I'm looking forward to it.

be sure to visit again ;)

Lady Briana

Hello, I'm new!

I attended this faire on Oct 13 and enjoyed myself thoroughly. I've now been to 3 different faires (PARF, King Richards, and CT RF), and in my opinion, the cast interaction on the streets was superior to the others. The atmosphere, I agree, was lacking...but it's hard to beat the very rustic, wooded grounds and permanent structures that King Richards has. But I found I enjoyed myself more at CT because the characters were engaging and natural.

Also, 4 of our men participated in the Men in Kilts contest, with one tying for first. My friends and I were also lucky enough to be caught on camera by a local journalist: http://www.instantimagegallery.com/iig/p/772/2269483?state:cat/Album=BrO0ABXcgAAAAAgEAByRCb3JkZXIAEG9yaWdpbmFsQ2xpZW50SWRzcgARamF2YS5sYW5nLkludGVnZXIS4qCk94GHOAIAAUkABXZhbHVleHIAEGphdmEubGFuZy5OdW1iZXKGrJUdC5TgiwIAAHhwAAADBHcKAAAHYWxidW1JZHNxAH4AAAABVpo%3D. I'm the one in the red gown.

I look forward to attending again next year.

Frederic

My fair Lady Briana,

Well, if you were at the crowd at the Men in Kilts contest, you saw me - the goofy middle-aged wierdo with the greying beard in
the Morrison plaid (Fred).  I made the first cut, then had to bow out before a taller and younger man.  Oh well ... you wenches just had no appreciation for years of experience and a fine set of hairy calves!ยจ In any case it was a blast - So who were your contestants?  One of them wouldn't have been 'B J' would it?   

Lady Briana

I am very sorry that you did not advance further, but you fared better than 3/4 of our crew, who didn't make the first cut. I can claim wee Conor who departed early from the kiddie (and puppet) competition, his father, Neil, and "Sean Connery as Highlander" as good friends of mine. I think next year we'll have to return so my husband can attend and compete.