News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

What is you most memorable moment at faire?

Started by Sir Michael Geare, March 12, 2018, 03:22:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Michael Geare

Whether you're a patron, playtron or participant (castmember) regardless of how many years you've done faire.  We've all had special moments but if you had to pick just one:  What is your most memorable moment/experience that has happened to you while at faire?

As for me...a few years ago I performed a stage show at Kid's Kingdom, an area at faire  that is geared for children.  This play was performed with my fellow guild mates for a number of years.  One day while strolling around the Front Gate area with another member of the cast, when out of the blue a little girl comes up to me and ask "are you going to lose to the lady again?".  For clarification, I play an evil, snobby landowner for this show which ends in a sword fight with the heroine whereby I lose.  Of course I responded back with "I'm feeling lucky and today just might be the day".  Apparently this little girl comes every year and sees the shows with her dad,

Fast forward a couple of years, I no longer perform that particular show.  Near the end of the day as I was walking down one of the streets I hear a slight whisper behind me. "Daddy, I think that's him".  I turn around and who of all people do I see?  The same little girl who turns to her dad and says "It is him, it's the evil Sir Michael".  One of the reasons I work faire...the priceless memories.
'The exercising of weapons puts away aches, griefs, and diseases, it
increases strength, and sharpens the wits.'

Jay Byrd

I forget the year, all of them were very memorable, because i used to go with my children and spent the whole day together, but one time my daughter won the costume contest and we got to sit up on the Castle front with the Queen.  She was thrilled.

Jay Byrd

groomporter

Maybe not the "most" memorable, but a favorite. Our first year as street characters with a Scottish group the wife and I were taking a break to have some lunch from one of the food booths. We sat down and started talking to another couple while maintaining a bit of a Scottish brogue to stay in character. The other couple seemed to actually think we were Scottish until I mentioned I had to sign on as a mercenary to avoid being charged with "borrowing" cattle from a neighboring clan.
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

KeeperoftheBar

About 10 years ago at TRF I was outside the Prince of Wales Pub when a tiny little girl, about 4, comes up with her family to say hello to StudMuffin.  I chat with them while the child pets my noble steed.  After a bit, her parents decide to leave, take her by the hand and lead her off.  The sweet lass turns three quarters of the way around, waives and says in a loud, charming voice, "Bye Bye StudMuffin".  I about lost it right then.
Landshark # 97
Member, Phoenix Risen

dbaldock

My most memorable moments are all related to music -

Being on the hill, in the midst of the cast, at the end of the day, singing "The Parting Glass" (at Scarborough Ren Fest).

First time I heard "Queen Anne's Lace" sing the song - "Black Is the Color (of My True Love's Hair)" (at Scarborough Ren Fest).

First time I heard Owain Phyfe with "Cantiga" (at Scarborough Ren Fest).

First time I heard the "Gypsy Guerrilla Band" (at Scarborough Ren Fest).

First time I heard "The Rogues" (when they had 3 pipers) (at Scarborough Ren Fest).

EDIT to Add: First time I heard "The Nightingales" singing (at Hawkwood Medieval Fantasy Faire).

First time I heard Jenny O'Connor, in "E Muzeki" (at Excalibur, Rocky Hill Ranch location).

First time I heard "Circa Paleo" (at Texas Ren Fest).

First time I heard "Cast in Bronze" (at Texas Ren Fest).
Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people... -anonymous

BubbleWright

As the Bubble Wright I've had many memorable moments involving my Renaissance Bubble Machine. However, my most memorable moment came in 2009 at the PaRenfaire witnessing Kelly Morris's interaction with a group of patrons. Below is what I posted in the PaRenFaire thread:

It is common knowledge that Kelly Morris, as Queen Elizabeth, took the PaRenFaire by storm last year. She is a consummate actress, a competent musician, and an excellent singer and dancer. The patrons and playtrons were quite pleased when it was announced she would return this year as Queen. I saw a side of Kelly today that totally outshines the work she has done on the Shire.

Besides the set pieces the Queen does, such as Queen's Court and Finale in Song, she also moves about the Shire to meet and greet Her people. She came upon four persons in wheel chairs, all of extremely limited mental capacity. These were people most others would shun and avoid looking upon. In another time they might have been left to die after being born. But Good Queen Bess crouched down in front of each of them to catch their attention, held their hand, and spoke to them as if they were best friends. This was not an actress playing a part but Kelly reaching out with great compassion and kindness to a less endowed human being. I'm sure at some level Kelly touched their spirit. This is the most extraordinary happening I have ever witnessed in all my years of attending RenFaires . I was humbled and edified. What left to say except "God Save The Queen... and Bless Kelly Morris!!!!"

"It is only with the heart that one sees rightly. What is essential is invisible to the eye."
   Antoine de St. Exupery

Lord Argyl of Lochdubh

I got a kilt inspection after the trf kings feast by one of our serving winches. Needless to say the lass was a bit surprised and my girlfriend at the time had a good laugh.
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are---
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

CalledBirdy

As a child patron: My very first trip to the Michigan Renaissance festival my cousin and I took a ride on the dragon swings and I can still remember the feel of that giant swing, the rough rope in my hands, the cool autumn air in my face. I was instantly hooked on everything.

As a teenage playtron: Michigan was my home Faire and my friends and I would sometimes see Owain Phyfe several times in one day. I recall one performance, on another crisp, clear September day, watching the leaves above us rustle in the breeze while listening to that crystal clear voice and smelling the nag champa they would light and stick in the bark of the trees that surrounded the Crown Stage. It was all the feels! That moment has been my "Happy Place" for years and years.

As a college performer: I won a wench contest. It was a small festival and the lines between performers and playtrons was blurred. But I hammed it up pretty good and won $20 and the crowd loved it. I really felt like I helped make it more of a show that day rather than just a craft faire (our dance group was one of the only costumed performances at the one day faire).

As an adult volunteer: My step son volunteered with me last summer at our Towne Gate at the Washington Midsummer Renaissance Faire (my new home Faire).  He was 8 and is just a skinny thing with long hair, dressed in some baggy linen peasant clothes that I made for him.  He was bit by a spider in the night so he had all these welts on his face but the poor kid didn't care. He loved being in costume and helping take tickets. He started bowing to everyone's and saying (in his best little kid BFA) "Welcome to the Faire!" He played the part wonderfully and was just so stinking proud to be so officially part of the Faire. The kid is hooked and I couldn't be more proud.

scarletnyx

I have two that spring to mind right now -

Last season at Sherwood Forest, Alex and I were relaxing at the hookah lounge while playing mancala with dear friends. Wine and Alchemy were playing, and I had just had a good meal of delicious pasta. I ended up falling asleep on the pillows leaning on my husband because I just felt so at peace, loved, and safe there.

Two? Seasons ago, Alex and I just sat down at a picnic table with some hummus, listening to music, and people watching. We have done the same thing numerous times since, but for some reason that day just stands out to me.
2013 RenNado Survivor
Phoenix Risen

Seryn

I have had so many notable memories at faire, both inside the gates and in the campgrounds. Many of them are hilarious stories of debauchery and shenanigans. Some of them are touching moments of friendship, love and loss. But I think, for me, my most memorable moment at faire will always be the first moment I walked in to my very first faire. It was Excalibur Fantasy Faire, and though small, the moment I first walked through the gates and looked around, I was filled with the most amazing sense of wonder and joy. It was like being a kid and walking into Disney World for the first time. And it was also like being home. Like finding the place you were always supposed to be. I will cherish that memory, always.
Seryn
Gndecent Gnomie
Master Baiter on the HSI
Seryn of Chaos

Lady Renee Buchanan

Having attended Faires since 1980, we've seen a lot and had a lot of memorable moments.  However, something I'll never forget and still laugh about is this.

It was a while back when the Braveheart movie was popular.  We saw these guys dressed up in kilts, bare chested, looking like real macho guys.  They were all painted blue, like in the movie.  We were sitting while watching them strut past, like they were gifts to us mere mortals.  A little boy, about 4 or 5 and his mother were also walking past.  Suddenly, the little boy starts jumping up and down really excited, and screams on the top of his lungs, "Look, Mom, SMURFS!"
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Merlin the Elder

Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Seryn

Seryn
Gndecent Gnomie
Master Baiter on the HSI
Seryn of Chaos

Laird Fraser of Lovatt

Traumatizing around 40 Danes, at the AHE Kettle Corn Eating Contest, at TRF.

*Hey...his name is Richard and we were chanting for him to eat...all 20+ of us* :o

I never thought I'd see mothers covering the ears of their children... ;D

" EAT D*** EAT D*** EAT D***..."

Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh
Alba gu brath
Laird of Dunans Castle
Warrior Poet/Loki God

Laird Fraser of Lovatt

Dang...didn't mean to be a thread killer... :o :(

*Funniest part about it was I ending up working with one of those mothers a couple of years later...*
Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh
Alba gu brath
Laird of Dunans Castle
Warrior Poet/Loki God

Merlin the Elder

Does that include the time we made the trip to Scarby, and I only lasted 15 minutes inside the gate because I was assaulted by a hot appendix? No?!?

Well then I'd have to say the gathering of friends, old and new, when my Bride and I renewed our vows at Scarborough, then threw a helluva party, with Tartanic providing the dance music at the reception. That was a celebration of 40 years.  There will be another party for the 50 year mark, coming in April 2022 at Scarborough.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Larrygaga

I was so nervous my first time wearing a costume but I told myself that nobody is going to pay attention to me. 3 beers in and suddenly I'm being asked for pictures and if I'll talk to other people's children. I'm glad I packed a bunch of seashells in my pockets to give out to people, they seemed to love it.

I'm a very, very brightly colored mermaid queen.

Seryn

Quote from: Larrygaga on August 07, 2018, 05:26:02 PM
I was so nervous my first time wearing a costume but I told myself that nobody is going to pay attention to me. 3 beers in and suddenly I'm being asked for pictures and if I'll talk to other people's children. I'm glad I packed a bunch of seashells in my pockets to give out to people, they seemed to love it.

I'm a very, very brightly colored mermaid queen.

Your garb sounds so fun!!
Seryn
Gndecent Gnomie
Master Baiter on the HSI
Seryn of Chaos