News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Renfest faire grounds when faire is over ?

Started by Lord Argyl of Lochdubh, May 12, 2018, 05:05:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Argyl of Lochdubh

I always wondered about the faire grounds and all the elaborate shops after the faire season came to an end. To pass by the faire grounds and to see it empty must be sad. If only there was a faire year round.  TRF had cameras at one time up and running and you would see the faire grounds anytime , even when the faire had ended for the season. I used to checkout the webcams of the festival grounds on cold gloomy days with ren music playing and how it would take me back to the faire's in my mind.  I guess just nostalgic for the days of ole. I really think I was born a few centuries too late. I do appreciate technology and medicines and fast food, but how simple life would be in "A world lit only by fire".  That is a good book to read also..
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are---
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

BubbleWright

The Pennsylvania RenFaire has a lot going for it throughout the year. Since it started as an adjunct to the Mt. Hope Winery, it has expanded it's attendance base with a series of weekend events starting in May going right up to the opening of the Faire, which runs August through October. Then it has theatrical happenings based on Poe and Dickens, ending with a large Christmas Bazaar. Of course, the wine shop is open year round. To see what happens through out the year, check the link below:

www.parenfaire.com/
"It is only with the heart that one sees rightly. What is essential is invisible to the eye."
   Antoine de St. Exupery

Lord Argyl of Lochdubh

Lady Renee Buchanan

Also, the Oklahoma faire has events going on year round, including October for a scary Halloween, and a Boar's Head feast around the holidays.  They have a Christmas celebration that you drive through to see inflatables.  In June-July, the castle is open to sell fireworks.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Lord Argyl of Lochdubh

Merlin the Elder

Sherwood Forest has a lot of things going on the rest of the year, including summer camps.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

groomporter

MNRF has corporate parties and wedding on site over the summer before their season.

An Iowa show had an interesting idea that I don't know how well it worked. If I recall they were going to cover the costs of maintaining booths in return for being able to rent them out to other vendors for other events (halloween, or cowboy themed?) during the year if the Renfair vendor could not attend the other events.
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

CalledBirdy

I've often wished there was a "Disney World" of Ren Faires... something that was open year round. But I guess part of the love for Ren Faire is because it's a treat to have the season come around again after waiting the entire mundane year. But still, if I had a billion dollars...  ;)

Lord Argyl of Lochdubh

yeah I guess part of the magic of renfaire is because we all look forward to it for so long .

CalledBirdy

Quote from: Merlin the Elder on May 14, 2018, 05:17:10 AM
Sherwood Forest has a lot of things going on the rest of the year, including summer camps.

I LOVE that they host a summer camp and I dream of attending someday. It seems like a genius idea for getting more use & income out of the property.

groomporter

I've kinda wondered if hosting an occasional large LARP event might be fun on a Renfair site.
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

Lord Argyl of Lochdubh

Groomporter I think that would be a great idea.

CalledBirdy

Quote from: groomporter on June 06, 2018, 08:09:03 PM
I've kinda wondered if hosting an occasional large LARP event might be fun on a Renfair site.

That would be super cool if festivals would rent out their sites for LARP groups! I'm sure that the festival would have to carry insurance so a rental fee could go towards that. I also suspect that someone of official capacity would need to be on site to ensure safety and security of the participants as well as the booths so those people would need to be paid as well. It might not be a cheap endeavor but an entire LARP group can be rather large, right? With that many people sharing the rental fee it might be cost effective.

Taking that one step further... it would be especially neat if the festival provided on-staff characters to present a story/problem which the group had to work around/solve. Almost like a murder mystery dinner but on a larger scale involving battles & whatnot.

And now that I think of it... costumed MURDER MYSTERY EVENTS for those of us not in a LARP group. I would sign up for one of those in a heartbeat! That would make use of the site as well as give the local cast something to do in the off season.

Lord Argyl of Lochdubh

yeah I love the murder mystery events. If the word got out and some advertising I would be willing to bet a profit could be made . I just wonder how many renfairs have permanent sites and structures !!

CalledBirdy

Quote from: Lord Argyl of Lochdubh on June 07, 2018, 11:33:13 PM
I just wonder how many renfairs have permanent sites and structures !!

Right, these ideas would only apply to the large festivals with permanent structures. But there are quite a few of the really big ones around the country, right?

Also, Michigan does a haunted attraction on their site in October after the festival ends. I've heard it's popular.