News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

is anyone a member of the sca ?

Started by Lord Argyl of Lochdubh, May 28, 2018, 04:06:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Argyl of Lochdubh

I read up a little about it but was hoping someone with first hand experience would be able to comment . I have a general idea about it but need some things cleared up. I don't think one can simply join it for free. my location would be Gleann Abhann ... or something like that .forgive my ignorance in this , I'm a bit behind the times so to speak. Any info would be appreciated .
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are---
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

groomporter

We're not members, but we occasionally attend events as merchants. It's a huge organization that can vary depending on the local group, some groups are more interested in history and authenticity, some are more into the fighting end.

Paid membership is generally not required to attend SCA practices, meetings, and events, although members may receive a discount on event fees. http://www.sca.org/members/about.html
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

Lord Argyl of Lochdubh

groomporter

There are occasional authenticity snobs who occasionally disparage Renfairs for being to much fantasy, but generally we've always found them pretty welcoming.
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

Sir Ironhead

I used to be a member but for a variety of reasons (none bad), I am no longer.  I was once told that you go to a SCA event to learn something and a ren faire to have fun.  I always thought that strange as I had fun at SCA events and have learned a thing to two at a faire.
I believe that the "animosity" between the SCAdians and Rennies is just outright high school BS.  As Groomporter mentioned it really depends on the local group you get involved with.  I had fun while I was involved.
Debaucheteer
IBRSC #1389
Sandbox Inspector
Iron'n M'Crack
Royal Order of Landsharks #41

Lord Argyl of Lochdubh

Thanks for the input Sir Ironhead . I may look into it but guess I want to find out more about the local group and see if it is full of snobs and worth the money.