News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

musings

Started by Lord Argyl of Lochdubh, June 06, 2018, 03:34:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Argyl of Lochdubh

Is it just me that feels a renaissance festival should be held in autumn ? For some reason I attribute cooler weather
and the change of seasons with a renfest. It just seems to feel right . I know down her in La it would be miserable to have a renfaire in the summer. 
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are---
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

CalledBirdy

I wish ours was held in the fall. It's usually pretty hot when we attended last year the wild fires across WA and B.C. were blowing smoke into the area. I think they hold ours in the summer because the land is rented from a farmer who uses it as a hay field. Faire seems to be held in between the summer harvest and the late summer/early fall growing season. But I, too, long for a cooler... perhaps even rainier?... festival! We have weekends like that every few years but I still have t been lucky enough to hit one. My husband and I even went down to the AZ Festival for my birthday two years ago... It was February and hit 80 degrees that weekend! Ugh! Can't win!  ;)

Lord Argyl of Lochdubh

I would think up in the PNW it wouldn't be too bad even in the summer . Although having it in a farmers field would seem to be hot without much shade .

Merlin the Elder

You never know about the weather... This year, opening day (April 7) at Scarborough (Waxahachie, TX), at 3:30 PM the wind chill was 24° F. It had spit snow earlier in the day. We froze our buns!
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

CalledBirdy

Quote from: Merlin the Elder on June 07, 2018, 05:57:08 AM
You never know about the weather... This year, opening day (April 7) at Scarborough (Waxahachie, TX), at 3:30 PM the wind chill was 24° F. It had spit snow earlier in the day. We froze our buns!

Sounds dreamy! (I'm a cold weather gal, myself.) But seriously, I have seen lots of photos of folks at Scarby all wrapped up in cloaks and hats. Is it normally colder than other fairies?

Merlin the Elder

We had the frigid opening day. Usually, season is comfy to warm to begin with, and ends with your face melting.

We like the cold, too, but the mist, strong winds, and cold temp was rough that day.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

BubbleWright

The Pennsylvania RenFaire runs from the beginning of August to the end of October. I've been there in sweltering 100+ degree heat, very comfortable Fall weather, freezing cold and snow, and of course, the occasional gully washer. PARF requires having a number of different garb changes to get through the season, plus a nice warm cloak for the Finale In Song after the Final Joust.
"It is only with the heart that one sees rightly. What is essential is invisible to the eye."
   Antoine de St. Exupery

Lord Argyl of Lochdubh

wow that is some crazy weather variations for the Parf. That must be a pretty big renfest up there in Pa to run for that long.