News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Renaissance Convention?

Started by CalledBirdy, June 09, 2018, 11:52:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CalledBirdy

All this talk of festivals in cooler weather has me wondering: has there ever been a convention geared towards the Renfaire culture? Sure, folks attend other cons in their garb (we have Norwescon here in Seattle that was built around Fantasy & Scifi for example)... but has there ever been a con specifically for Rennies?

If there were one in the future (and this is just wishful thinking from a lady who LOVES to dream up imaginary events) would you be interested in attending? And do you think it would be a popular draw? I'm just curious and dreaming of a winter event for those of us who dislike hot weather. Haha! ;)

Lord Argyl of Lochdubh

I've never heard of a rennie con before. I wish there was one cause I would have to make that pilgrimage . no teling what kind of turn out there would be. I'm surprised none of the mgmt folks that run the big renfests haven't established a con by now. I kinda laugh when I think of all the rennies descending upon a major city dressed in garb with swords and what not . Now that I would pay money to see.
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are---
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

Lady Renee Buchanan

I haven't heard of a Rennie con,  but in the past, when this forum was more active, we had a yearly RenDevous.  Faires were put up for a vote, with the most votes being the location chosen.  A different section of the country was chosen each year, and the Faires in that section would be the options.

On Friday night would be the meet and greet.  There would be a central hotel as the base, so after the meet and greet, people could hang out at the pool.  If the faire allowed it, both days there was breakfast tailgating in the parking lot before the faire opened.   I remember that Scarborough provided a huge tent in the parking lot for the breakfast and also one inside as a special meeting place.  At a certain time of day, we would all meet for a toast and fellowship.

Saturday evening, there was a big dinner at a restaurant.  Everyone came straight from faire in their garb.  We usually had a special room, and everyone mingled.  There was singing and toasts.

I've been to 5 or 6 RenDezvous, and besides being so much fun, it was a great way to meet the people you've been interacting with on the Forum.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

groomporter

For a while there was the Reenactor Fest that was a general convention for reenactors, renfair, SCA, It was outside of Chicago, so it attracted a number of people from Bristol. It was fun they had various panel discussions and presentations during the day. Saturday night there was a ball where various period dances were taught, and when they were done the DJ played the "Time Warp" and things let loose.

It switched to more of a military theme after 2, or 3 years, and I think they announced 2018 was going to be the last one http://www.reenactorfest.com/
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

Lord Argyl of Lochdubh

The RenDezvous  seems like it would have been awesome .I wish that could start back up again . Maybe the powers that be could resurrect another meet and greet RenDezvous. let all those on the book of faces that its happening again and word would spread like wildfire. Then we would see higher numbers of people back on this forum.

Merlin the Elder

I totally miss RenDezvous. We made a lot of lasting friends at those.  Some of us will still do some traveling to link up with others from various parts of the country.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

mehan

I jumped back on here today as the hubs was asking if RenDezvous was still taking place - guess its not.... we too met some lasting friends (and picked up on a pretty fabulous Idle Hands CD) at them.  Shamefully other groups that followed got too big and political that we are back to just enjoying our faire going solo. 

Drake Starsong

Some sort of gathering during non faire season would be great. I have not logged on in a long while and like some of the comments before me was reminded of the RenDezvous from the past. It would be great meet fellow rennies again. Indoors, outdoors, no doors,  you name it !  :P
Yo ho Yo ho!

Lady Renee Buchanan

About the RenDezvous:

It was not an affair put on by the administrators of the Forum.  It was put on by a group of people who were willing to volunteer to set it up in their area of the country, i.e., Northeast, Southeast, Midwest, Southwest, Central States, West Coast, etc.  It had to change every year to keep it fair, and your faire had to wait several years when your area came around again, because the other Faires in the same area had to have a chance to host it.

So if anybody wants to put on a RenDezvous, go ahead and do it.  It is a lot of fun, but it is work, and I think that's why it stopped, for no other reason than no one was willing to do it.  If anyone is interested, I would be happy to talk with them on how to set one up, what's expected, etc.  There are enough new members on here to hopefully have a good turnout.

A real Surf Diva
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 

Lady Renee Buchanan

So, is there no one out there who will take the challenge and sponsor a RenDezvous at your local faire?
A real Surf Diva
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 

Merlin the Elder

I think the reason it stopped is that there are so few of us left here. The admins would choose from the faires that had someone willing to do the legwork, but the admins rarely appear out here anymore.  DB just up and disappeared. He hasn't logged on in over 3 years.

Groups of us will converge on a faire when we can synchronize our visit. Anyone remember Bob of the Lake? I've stayed in touch with him on and off, and we're hoping to make the NYRF sometime next month, and we're going to meet up with Bob. We've never before met face-to-face.

For anyone interested, I've already booked a hotel for Scarborough opening weekend in April 2019. RefMom3, are you up for an adventure?

Laird Fraser of Lovatt

*Need to bribe Merlin to come to TRF...* ;)
Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh
Alba gu brath
Laird of Dunans Castle
Warrior Poet/Loki God

Lord Argyl of Lochdubh

I concur, Merlin and bride should attend Tex renfest. Hell let Merlin bring his whole entourage and make merry with the unwashed at TRF. Many a good spells can be cast .

Merlin the Elder

It would be unlikely that we would return to TRF, but perhaps we could converge on Sherwood. TRF is just too big for my taste. It was huge when we were there 20 years ago.

Not knocking TRF in the least. We all have specific things we look for in a faire.  TRF and the Wiz just aren't a good fit, though I have many good friends from there!

Welsh Wench

Quote from: Lady Renee Buchanan on July 29, 2018, 08:01:25 PM
About the RenDezvous:

It was not an affair put on by the administrators of the Forum.  It was put on by a group of people who were willing to volunteer to set it up in their area of the country, i.e., Northeast, Southeast, Midwest, Southwest, Central States, West Coast, etc.  It had to change every year to keep it fair, and your faire had to wait several years when your area came around again, because the other Faires in the same area had to have a chance to host it.

So if anybody wants to put on a RenDezvous, go ahead and do it.  It is a lot of fun, but it is work, and I think that's why it stopped, for no other reason than no one was willing to do it.  If anyone is interested, I would be happy to talk with them on how to set one up, what's expected, etc.  There are enough new members on here to hopefully have a good turnout.

When Lady Nicolette and I hosted the third Rendezvous in Tennessee, yes it was work but it was a labour of love.

Right before TN, the forum got hacked and evolved into the forum you see today. A lot of old friends didn't make it over and the tone of the forum changed.
The close knit group was gone.
Show me your tan lines..and I'll show you mine!

I just want to be Layla.....

Lady Renee Buchanan

Quote from: Welsh Wench on August 05, 2018, 05:14:28 PM
Quote from: Lady Renee Buchanan on July 29, 2018, 08:01:25 PM
About the RenDezvous:

When Lady Nicolette and I hosted the third Rendezvous in Tennessee, yes it was work but it was a labour of love.

Right before TN, the forum got hacked and evolved into the forum you see today. A lot of old friends didn't make it over and the tone of the forum changed.
The close knit group was gone.

And that RenDezvous was terrific, because of all the hard work you both put in, and it showed!  One of my most fun Ren Faire times ever!
A real Surf Diva
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 

Seryn

I never made it to a RenDevoux and always regretted that. I would love to be able to if we have another!
Seryn
Gndecent Gnomie
Master Baiter on the HSI
Seryn of Chaos

Lady Renee Buchanan

Unless someone (or a group of people from the same faire) steps up to put it together, it won't happen on its own.  Even though the Forum doesn't have as many of the original members, there should be enough new members to make up a big enough group of attendees.  But someone has to do it.
A real Surf Diva
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs