News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

looking for a new camera

Started by ladiedragon, August 09, 2008, 08:44:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ladiedragon

Hey guys, Tod and I are gonna be going out to best buy to look at cameras.. We wre thinking about getting a new one that we could fit into our pockets type thing. I know sleep y had a nice little camera. Any one have any suggestions for us? Db maybe?

Storm

We have a Nixon Coolpix 9. It is the camera model that replaced the one that both DB and Sleepy have, which I believe was the Coolpix 6.

BUT, their cameras are nicer then mine. They have a better control on the back. We really like the camera, because of its size. It is small and slim and fits just about anywhere, but in all honesty we think you sacrifice a little picture quality with it. Ours has a rechargeable battery, and I would NOT recommend getting one like that. If you do make sure you buy a 2nd battery to take with you in case one drains out on you otherwise, you picture taking for the day will be done until you can get home and recharge it. Our next camera will be one that takes AAA's or something so we can get new batteries where ever we are.

Good luck!..

Hatter

Just got an Olympus Stylus 820.  Really like it.  Big view screen,  the rechargeable battery lasts a long time.  8 megapixels Quick easy to use settings for every type of shot.  It is also weather resistant.  If it rains I can still take pics without worry. And...... it is small enough to fit in my pouch along with my other stuff I keep there.

SleepyArcher

I gave my old one to Casey and have upgraded to the Nikon coolpix S52. Not too bad of a camera. Pretty much the same, just better ISO and more megapixels.
Knight, FOP, Pirate, Woodsman...I am a man of many faces.

DeadBishop

What kind of options are you looking for other than being pocketable?  Do you have a specific optical zoom requirement?  Most "pocketable" digital cameras have around a 3-4X optical zoom.  Just about any small Nikon will fit the bill for that.  Plus, most of them have optical image stabilization now, which is a big bonus.

R/F.com member since 2003

ladiedragon

Thanks for you ideas every one. We spent most of the day out of the house.

We actually got the Olympic Stylus 1020. we both really liked the panoramic option on it.  Its also got the 7X optical zoom and 10.1 mp. oh and its BLUE!! Love it!

Lord Figaro

With large group pictures I'll bet that panoramic will work pretty cool.
Those who do not remember their past are condemned to repeat their mistakes.

George Santayana

Rage

I took one today. the picture isn't too good but you get the idea of what it looks like.