News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

How do people join of form clans?

Started by Druidiron, September 11, 2018, 05:08:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Druidiron

Before I get beaten and flogged for not using the search, I assure you I did but the most recent mention of "clan," on this forum, was in 2015. :-[

If the tomato slinging is over, here is my question: How does one join a clan? I mean, for nothing else, group ticket rates sure would be nice! My wife and I have camped at TRF many times, but out of our small circle of friends, we are the only ones who enjoy TRF, or renaissance fairs in general. So creating our own clan is kind of out of the question. On another note, we also enjoyed camping at Sherwood, but if you are not in a clan there, you certainly feel like a peasant.  ???

Although we now live in OK, this will still be a yearly trip for us. We plan on going the last weekend, 23-25 November of this year.

Thanks in advance! :D

Lord Argyl of Lochdubh

I too have wondered about how one joins a clan . Perhaps someone with insight on joining a clan or starting one will post how this works.
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are---
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

Breandan

Most clans are pretty friendly, so my best advice is get to know them, let them get to know you, and go from there  ;D
Author, bladesmith, and fuzzy teddybear.

"I've fought my wars and drank my mead in this life, the afterlife for me will be one endless renaissance festival with an old-school tabletop game store the size of a Costco next door ;D " - me

Yrose

Each clan is different. Make friends, if y'all like each other ask. Some are easy to join. Some have probationary periods or you need a sponsor. It just depends.
Don't forget to smell the roses, but watch out for the thorns!

PollyPoPo

A faire clan is a group of like minded people who agree to do some things together.  There is no one definition or one way to join.  There is no registry or requirements of how to form or maintain a clan. 

Some faire clans are small, maybe an extended family.

Other clans are huge with no actual parameters for who can join.

A group of people who decide to call themselves a clan are a clan. 

If you are on Facebook, there is a site "Sherwood Forest Faire Camping camping events that many clans (who attend Sherwood and TRF as well as other faires and events) have a presence on and which might give you more insight.

There are clans that are adults only, others family based; some only women, others men.  Some are for families only and keep entertainment at a level suitable for their group.  Others come out for the wild orgy (or so I've been told).  Some welcome newcomers; some have rigid requirements requiring a longer initiation period to make sure the newcomer is compatible.  Others welcome everybody who fits their loose rules (no small kids or only 21 and up, etc.).  One rule which seems to be universal is "NO DRAMA!" 

Some clans are at their maximum number for camping area at Sherwood and cannot take in any more campers, so are probably not looking for more clan members.

Clan membership can be fluid with people moving from group to group, especially the large, loosely knit clans.

At TRF camping, clans have basic areas where they try to camp yearly, but it's not like Sherwood where there is designated clan camping.  There are some clans that camp in open camping there because there is not enough cleared land for more clans yet.  At TRF you could walk around getting to meet various clans, but because all area is open camping, it's first come first claimed each weekend, so it's not as easy to find a clan rather than just individual campers.  Sherwood is more compact and clan areas more clearly marked.  And it is definitely easier to get lost at Sherwood.

At Sherwood, after faire, do a walk-around of the clan roads, meeting people (there is a map of the clan areas on the FB site).  Some will welcome you into their midst immediately.  Expect to be stopped near the front of the group when walking into some clans.  If people have children sleeping in tents, they don't want strangers walking past the adults and wandering near the kids' tents.  Most clans have a fire burning where people gather and welcome newcomers to the fire. 

Always ask before entering someone's camp, whether it's clan or a single family.  There may be a few really big clans where anybody can just come and go, but at Sherwood even those have an entryway and there will always be someone watching who's coming and going even if you don't see them.  It's part of being with a clan, knowing that someone is always there for you.

Most clans are watchful and wary of ren-rats who might be coming around casing the areas to see what they can steal when the campers are in faire the next day.  Silly rats don't realize there is almost always someone in camp during the day at Sherwood.  Sherwood doesn't seem to have nearly the problem with thieves as TRF camping has had through the years (better presence of law enforcement helped curb a lot of that at TRF).

Also, at Sherwood, when someone says "you can't go through there," believe them. There are areas where clans, or parking areas, back up to a non-faire neighbor's fence.  There are some places where you think you can just walk from from clan to another, but there is no pathway through the brush.  And if you see more camps, but come across a wired fence, don't assume you can follow it to the end so you can get into that camping area.  It's the participants (workers) camp area and the fence runs all the way back to the main road. 

Just get out and meet the clans.  There will almost sure to be a place for your group to fit in. 
Polly PoPo
(aka Grannie)

Laird Fraser of Lovatt

I found my fairemily, Clan McShugganah, by joining a large, open clan(Mclotofus) and making friends as I went.  When McLotofus started to crumble, I contacted a member of McShug(Lady Jessica) and asked if they minded me and a few others camping with them.

The rest is glorious history.  ;)

Some clans have a waiting period/sponsorship...like Phoenix Risen, where you have to spend time as an "egg". 

Most clans are open to visitors, as long as there is a measure of respect given to their ways.  McShug is pretty easy going...we've sponsored people from  Oklahoma, Florida, Nebraska and as far off as Minnesota...(who will be joining us, again, this year.)  Making and building friendships is key.  Like minded people are usually attracted to like minded people...but remember to have an open mind about things.  (You may see some things that can't be unseen... ;D)

*Here's two things to remember when visiting a clan...don't get a "wenching" if your bitter half is bitter...and don't asked to get flogged by any large man named "Bruno". *

PS...drink as much Loki as you can...
Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh
Alba gu brath
Laird of Dunans Castle
Warrior Poet/Loki God