News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Dresden Files Fans?

Started by maelstrom0370, August 10, 2008, 08:06:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

renfairephotog

The Dresden Files RPG, based on the novels by New York Times best-selling author Jim Butcher.

The actual physical books are shipping out in early July, and you can preorder them on our website at http://www.evilhat.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=65_72

But if you're a fan of books crafted of ectoplasm, not paper, today's announcement is the big one for you: we're now selling the game in PDF-only form on DriveThruRPG!

You can get the complete rulebook, Your Story, for $25; the setting book (complete with a new story from Jim) for $20; or both for $40. Drop on by DriveThruRPG and check out the bundle here: http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?products_id=80986&src=email&affiliate_rem=24139
Twenty seasons of covering renaissance  festivals. Photos/calendar/blog.
Fairy photographer

escherblacksmith

Just finished Changes last week . . . very good.  I like where the series is going.
--

Scribe_Wear

cant wait to read changes but i need to finish inkdeath
Destroying rainforest for economic gain is like burning a Renaissance painting to cook a meal.

Aiacha

Heh...I had decided to re-read the series...one week before Changes came out!  I'm just about to finish Proven Guilty, so I'll be up to Changes shortly. 

That said, I do have my copy of the hardback.  Which I wouldn't have bought, you know, if Jim Butcher hadn't signed it  :)

Bronwyn Blackmantle

As I was reading Changes, I was afraid it might be the last book in the series. But there are so many ways Butcher can take it from here. Glad to know there will be more. I'm a huge fan!
IWG #2904 MCL
Home Faire - PARF

Aiacha

Quote from: Bronwyn Blackmantle on June 14, 2010, 11:49:22 PM
As I was reading Changes, I was afraid it might be the last book in the series. But there are so many ways Butcher can take it from here. Glad to know there will be more. I'm a huge fan!

I don't remember where I heard it, but he has said that he has enough "case files" to write a total of 20 Dresden Case files.

Now that I finished Changes, I've moved on to his Codex Alrea series.  It's OK so far, I like his writing style, but I've heard books 3-6 are great.

Scribe_Wear

I cant wait for the next set of books to come out, aftermath as told from Murphy's point of veiw and then ghost stories
Destroying rainforest for economic gain is like burning a Renaissance painting to cook a meal.

Aiacha

The new book Side Jobs is out and I'm dying to read "Aftermath", but I'm so busy this weekend I won't be able to pick it up until next week!  Ack!

escherblacksmith

Quote from: Aiacha on June 15, 2010, 07:13:01 AM

I don't remember where I heard it, but he has said that he has enough "case files" to write a total of 20 Dresden Case files.

Now that I finished Changes, I've moved on to his Codex Alrea series.  It's OK so far, I like his writing style, but I've heard books 3-6 are great.

So, it has been a couple of months, what do you think about the Codex Alera?  I am up through Princep's Fury, and although I can't put them down, they just are so dark . . .

--

Aiacha

I'm on Cursor's Fury...I don't have much time to read lately.  I'm finding them enjoyable, yet a little predictable.  Until Butcher proves that he has no trouble killing or severly wounding a main character (in this series), I just feel as if everything will always turn out OK.  They are a little dark, and they don't seem to have as much as the occasional light-heartedness that Dresden Files has.  I did find out something about the main character that sort of made me go "Huh, what a bummer", but I'm still planning on getting through them so I can see if the decision was called for. 

That said, I like Tavi, yet sometimes I feel he's too good.  Not in purity, but in skill.  Situations come up that just work out right for him.  Once or twice I feel myself thinking "Oh, come on.  Really?  He should have been caught/found/hurt."  I feel as if Butcher is compensating for him having no furies by being smart and crafty at just about everything else!  But I keep reading because the books are enjoyable.

The idea of the furies has sort of gotten me thinking.  Since this series was a dare of Butcher combining the lost Roman 9th Legion and Pokemon (I believe), I've been thinking about timeframe and it occured to me that this civilization has no real reason to move into out "modern" age.  Where we created technologies for electicity, war and medicine, they have furies that do this already, and someone sufficiently trained to harness these furies can use them with the same outcome.

renfairephotog

http://www.facebook.com/ScienceFictionBookClub?v=app_20678178440

Changes is up for Science Fiction Book club book of the year.
You can vote on facebook.
Twenty seasons of covering renaissance  festivals. Photos/calendar/blog.
Fairy photographer