News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

How many years have you been going to MNRF?

Started by Rage, August 14, 2008, 08:34:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Acuisla

:D
I've been going off and on since 1997, when I first moved up here. No, wait...moved up in '96. Started attending in '97. Now I'm getting the young'uns into it....but they won't be attending this year. It just gets better every year!!!

winterland

Great to hear stories of people going back to the early days. Have been going more often the last 5 years. Also getting garb etc. Otherwise probably 12 years or so. 
I am curious what the "Celebration of Nature, Art, and Life!" was all about if anyone remembers?

Lady L

What I remember about it, is that it was just a few tents set up in a field, near Jonathan. We bought some bread and a leather belt. That was in 1973.
Former Shop Owner at MNRF

Michael

I've been going since the early 90's..I think junior high school age. I'd say 15+ years now. I used to just do one visit per year but the last 3 or 4 years I've done between 2-3 times.

Baron Doune

Since 1982.

Penny Royal was my fav back then.

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

Since the Earl's and my first date was the Northern California Pleasure Faire in September of 1971, we have been attending the Minnesota Renaissance Festival on and off since 1979.  We had lived in New Jersey and North Dakota prior before moving to Minnesota with IBM in 1976.

There were several years in the 80's we did not make it up, but have been regulars hardcore since 1997. I have a photo of Zilch when he was the Grave Digger telling Spoonerism stories. His hair was a  mousy brown. Time flies when you're having fun!
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

Kiss-me-Kate

I remember when Zilch was a grave digger too, and not a torysteller, AND when Carr played the Ratcatcher every weekend!
~ Notouchin' M'Crack
Pucker Up!

groomporter

How about, what was their name "Sack Theater"? they had a big bag or box of props and would stage little plays of fairy tales on the street and recruit audience members to play roles in them.

Did someone already mention "Lancelot the Living Unicorn"?
Lancelot appeared at MNRF in the early 1980's and was a goat whose horn buds were surgically moved to the center of it forehead when it was very young resulting in the grow of a single horn. In 1984 the U.S. patent office granted patent number 4,429,685 to Timothy G. Zell for his development of a surgical procedure to create a "unicorn" from a horned animal. The basis for the patent was "Lancelot the living unicorn" bred by Timothy "Otter" Zell and his wife Morning Glory Zell.
http://www.lair2000.net/Unicorn_Dreams/Unicorns_Man_Made/unicorns_man_made.html
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

Kiss-me-Kate

I remember that unicorn.  I think the PETA peoples would be most upset with it now.
~ Notouchin' M'Crack
Pucker Up!

groomporter

You're probably right considering the to-do it created at the time if you read the article I linked to.
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

KeithR

Does anyone remember Arsine? I think his act was that of a mime magician from France. He used to do his act on the stage that the Tortuga Twins now perform.

Kiss-me-Kate

I vaguely remember Arsine.  I remember when the crown stage had a checker board painted on it too.

Our booth is literally right next to that stage, so I can recite the Tortuga's shows along with them.
Hence my general distaste for their show.  Ironically, I don't get sick of Johnny Phoenix's shows. 
~ Notouchin' M'Crack
Pucker Up!

Little Green Puppy

I have been going to MNRF for 26 years.  My parents used to take me out every year since I was 5!!  I have not missed a year for 26 years!!  Tom and I started going together a couple years before we were married..so 1997 or so??  We have not missed a day it has been open in 6 years, and we have gone to the Feast every year since 2003!!  We have been season pass holders for 6 years, and this year is the first year Tom and I have worked there.  We both LOVE it!!  Tom loves playing for the Terpsicory dancers, and of course I LOVE Foaming Stein!!!  Yay for BEER!!!
I'm gonna get me a geg of Kinness!!  Darn it...I MEANT a GEG of KINNESS!  Haha!  I need another beer!!

Muffin

Quote from: GREENCHICK on September 23, 2008, 12:13:50 PM
I have been going to MNRF for 26 years.  My parents used to take me out every year since I was 5!!  I have not missed a year for 26 years!!  Tom and I started going together a couple years before we were married..so 1997 or so??  We have not missed a day it has been open in 6 years, and we have gone to the Feast every year since 2003!!  We have been season pass holders for 6 years, and this year is the first year Tom and I have worked there.  We both LOVE it!!  Tom loves playing for the Terpsicory dancers, and of course I LOVE Foaming Stein!!!  Yay for BEER!!!

And we loves you Neato!!!  ;D

YAY Beer Wench Chicks!!
A Captains Wench

It's always Beer:30 here....

*sigh* So many kilts, so little time......

Ette