News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

PETA Problems at Fair

Started by brier patch charlie, August 11, 2008, 07:47:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brier patch charlie

I know everybody has there own pet peeves, and us who go to Faire tend not push belief's on to others. And of course at faire you find people who support PETA and many like myself who do not. What brought this up was I saw one of there adds " I rather go nude than wear fur" with one of the Olympic swimmers as the spokes person. And as I was looking at AOL news came a cross were one of the PETA people in the UK had pitched a bucket of blood on a woman who was wearing a fur coat. Has anybody had this kind of problem while wearing there garb, I know a lot of Rennie's wear fur with there garb, I do. The most I have every seen or heard was at TRF and it was to teenage girls in mundanes talking about the fact there was so much fur being worn. So that's ya'lls take on this.
Charles Coleman

Arsinoe Selene

I just think that the idea of wearing fur (real fur) is kind of icky. If you want to, fine, but I won't touch it. I just won't. (I would feel better if I knew the animal wasn't just bludgened out in the backwoods and skinned and just left there, or raised in an overcrowded pen and had a horrible life) I don't know why, but real fur just squicks me out.

Faux-fur, though, I have no problem with. You can get stuff that looks essentially the same as real, without killing an animal.

Though, I have no problem with leather...

Question, though. Where do the PETA people get the blood? Or do they just use red paint, but it is always referred to as blood for dramatic effect? Or is it stage blood?

Celtic Lady

QuoteQuestion, though. Where do the PETA people get the blood? Or do they just use red paint, but it is always referred to as blood for dramatic effect? Or is it stage blood?

That is a real good question. Another one would be: can they be sure that the "fur" that they are dumping blood or spray painting is real and not the faux-fur that is so close to the real thing

SirBlackFox

Sorry. . .but one of the things that I find so silly is the use of fur.  If you're a Bible-thumping Christian than you realize that the animals on the planet were meant for us to rule and use (see Genesis).  If you're a Wiccan/naturalist/pagan then you realize the common natural law of survival of the fittest.

Either way, as the most "fit" of nature/god's creatures, we should use all of the parts of the beast we've killed in the most "green" way.  I.E., meat to eat, fur to wear, bones for tools. . . .  part of nature/god's plan is that we got bigger brains than the other critters and can manufacture such things (I'm still waiting for the true church of the Opposable Thumb).  It's our gift from nature/god to use the dead things to improve our lives. . . like maggots eat dead flesh and birds use dead fur for nests. . .we use the creatures we kill to continue our lives.

Those with the idea that "we know better" are a contradiction.  We're no better than the slug that enjoys the cement we created to better leave his sent for a mate.  We're no better than the asphalt we left in the schoolyard of Chernobyl that's now become a protective seeding ground for the Russian Red Maple (thought to be extinct until MAN made the Chernobyl mistake).

Stupid people think that nature/god is not controlling what we think are mistakes like pollution?  How dumb can you get to think that with just a blink of chaos, all man would become extinct and new forms of life would come to grow out of our ashes.

Everyone wants to live forever and that's the center of all our problems, m'thinks.  You don't live forever.  When you die. . .you die.  Like the moth that died when hitting the lamp on your back porch. . . like the neighbor's dog Fluffy who hung himself jumping off the porch when he saw a rabbit. . .to your cousin Vic who flew 60 feet after hitting his own windshield. 

Only human arrogance of "deserving" or being "entitled" to live after death is the cause of Global Warming.  Check the ice flow data. . . . NASA will tell you that EVERY 10,000 YEARS THE SAME THING HAPPENS.  The ozone depletes. . .  the gamma comes in and kills a lot of stuff. . .then the ozone repairs itself and nature continues.

Fur is like man.  It serves a purpose then it's gone.

sorry. . .it was soapbox time here at the vinyard. . .ooooooo. . . my glass is empty! LOL
Publisher, Faire Magazine, The Concordium, & The Pyrates Way
Founder, FriendsofMDRF

Black'n McCrack

Lady Mikayla of Phoenicia

I chose to not wear fur however I will and do enjoy wearing leather.  It's a personal preference.  I must admit whenever I see someone wearing a real fur coat, I cringe.  Prolly because I know so many animals are killed just to wear their fur and that's where I disagree.  However if the ENTIRE animal is going to be put to good purpose, then it's life has been useful hence my fondness of leather.  It would not be cost effective for cattle farmers to put down a cow without using it's meat too. 
"Embrace those who love you and rid yourself of those who bring you down."

Edward de Johns

PETA....Doesn't that stand for People Eating Tasty Animals?

My belief is that there are too many people that know what is right for everyone else.  Sometimes it is hard for me to believe that I grew up in a time when we were trying to create a better world, at least that was the intention of the Flower children in the 60s...but as with everything else they basically became Domestic Urban terrorists...Unfortunately they never understood that not everyone shares their views or politics.

Sad :(

jcbanner

I havent personally run into problems with PETA at faires, but granted, I don't wear too much fur or leather at faire either. It's too bloody hot!  I would doubt there would be much issue with it though, must people in PETA (that seems kind of redundant, "people in PETA"  :P) aren't running around tossing buckets of blood on coats, the worst I've ever had to really deal with is someone occationaly getting a little preachy about how their tofu burger and saled is better then my steak with gravy.

I have no issue with what they believe, hell, I could even go as far as to say I agree that animals SHOULDN'T be treated inhumainly, even though I'm both a hunter, and son of a small time cattle rancher.  I only have issues when they get in my face about it

DonaCatalina

I have never been confronted about Enrique at a Faire and he is the only fur that I wear. Of Course Enrique is nearly 80 years old.
I don't use real fur in my garb because I prefer not to. I'm a little squeamish about killing an animal just for its fur. If you want to use fur in your garb, there is a lot of fake fur out there that looks very real.

I also don't believe that PETA has the right to through blood or red paint on people wearing fur.
It just makes them a laughingstock, since it spawned the joke about why PETA throws red paint on blue haired ladies in fur coats instead of big hulking bikers in leather pants and jackets.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Lady Neysa

Quote from: Celtic Lady on August 11, 2008, 08:09:18 PM
QuoteQuestion, though. Where do the PETA people get the blood? Or do they just use red paint, but it is always referred to as blood for dramatic effect? Or is it stage blood?

That is a real good question. Another one would be: can they be sure that the "fur" that they are dumping blood or spray painting is real and not the faux-fur that is so close to the real thing

I hope no one here is a PETA member, if I offend you, sorry this is how I feel.
With some of the PETA members it doesn't matter. Some don't even like fake fur because it "seems" real, and therefore you shouldn't even be wearing that.
I personally can't stand PETA. I think they do more harm than good. "Oh how can you  hunt those poor defenseless deer!"-It doesn't matter to them that those deer will starve to death if not thinned out... In some cases the same radicals who would have a fit over a hunter killing a duck, would just as soon turn around and bludgeon that hunter with his own gun.  Or they want to put a stop to some animal testing lab, so they bomb it. So much for the sanctity of life...
So why don't they leave the hunters and the fur wearers alone and go after the old lady down the street with 50 starving cats, or the small hobby farm with the horse showing every rib. Oh wait,  because they won't get any publicity for the small time stuff. If they can't get publicity they don't care.
I'm all for the humane treatment of animals but PETA, in my opinion, are mostly a bunch of wackos. There may be some non radicals in the bunch but you know what they say about a few bad apples.

Besides, I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat veggies!

As far as PETA at faire is concerned, I think it's incrdibly arrogant of them to protest at an event where people are trying to show what life was like in a certain time period.  People used animals and skins, bones, etc, in their everyday lives.  Wasn't it a matter of survival?  I can't imagine anyone back then thinking, hmm..I can't eat this poor defenseless creature, that's mean.   

jcbanner

Lady Neysa, I believe those are the very extreamits I was talking about.  you should see some of the "slaugher house horror" videos they've passed out near schools I've gone to

Lairde Guardn

Actually I would rather have Italian or White Bread than anything on a peta.......

oh, not that kind of peta.......oh well...off to the non-drinking thread next....
Lairde Guard'n
Lairde Highe Chieftain Emeritus
Irish Penny Brigade
Rogue, Teer, Otter
Landshark, Bard, DG, RFC
15.8% FaireFolk pure, 84.2% FaireFolk corrupt

Captain Cornelius Howard Duckman

There's a reason PETA doesn't come to the faires.

Mainly cause the exchange would go-

Peta: HA! You wear fur/leather, I shall bombard you with paint!

Faire-goer(outside the front gates, cause PETA wouldn't get in with a bucket of paint)- SHING! Come any closer and I stab you. In Self defence

Peta: *Wets self and runs away*

Arsinoe Selene

Quote from: sealclubber on August 12, 2008, 02:09:59 PM
There's a reason PETA doesn't come to the faires.

Mainly cause the exchange would go-

Peta: HA! You wear fur/leather, I shall bombard you with paint!

Faire-goer(outside the front gates, cause PETA wouldn't get in with a bucket of paint)- SHING! Come any closer and I stab you. In Self defence

Peta: *Wets self and runs away*

*snort*

eloquentXI

If any PETA member has a problem with someone at faire, they can just leave.
I've never experienced any problems with such but there will be no mercy the day that a PETA member splashes red paint any of Reds (one of the twins of TRF/Scarby and future queen of Songwood) Queen Elizabeth gowns.
Still Meggers, just a little more grown up now. :)

PurpleDragon

Quote from: DonaCatalina on August 12, 2008, 08:38:14 AM
since it spawned the joke about why PETA throws red paint on blue haired ladies in fur coats instead of big hulking bikers in leather pants and jackets.

OH, I know the answer to that.

Because most blue haired old ladies don't carry guns and knives and will most likely not be travelling in packs of 10 or more.
Karl "Dragon" Wolff
The Pirates Cove

Bin Ich SCHLECHT? Ja BIN Ich.