News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

PETA Problems at Fair

Started by brier patch charlie, August 11, 2008, 07:47:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noble Dreg

I love this quote...

"It is as if PETA prefers the idea of animals to animals themselves".

There are hundreds of stories of PETA's poor treatment of animals, enough to make me believe they are a case of "More Holy than Thou"...search and find...

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2005/06/23/EDG11DC9BK1.DTL

Another quote, oh yes PETA kills plenty!..."The organization has been criticized for some of its campaigns and for the number of animals it euthanizes."  See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PETA

Or this:

http://www.doggienews.com/2005/06/more-information-on-peta-animal.htm
"Why a spoon cousin? Why not an axe?"
Because it's dull you twit, it'll hurt more. Now SEW, and keep the stitches small

jcbanner

Have any of you seen the videos that PETA puts out? I've only seen a few and they are truely discusting. They often show animals on farms being abused, beaten and tormented.  They give you the impression that pigs sent for slaughter are disembowed while they are still sometimes alive and slowly die as they bleed out hanging on a hook that is running on a convaier line heading to be cut up.

What is truely grotesque was when I read news articles stating that "PETA often stages those videos themselves because even though they know that it is happening, they can never get video evidence of it, even when they sneak onto the farms with cameras and hide them in the slaughter houses.

Individuals that are members of, or donators to PETA I don't have issue with.  most of them truely do want the best, but are misinformed about what is truely going on, but as a whole, I'm offended by the organisation.

DonaCatalina

Ok. That is just wrong.
My family has slaughtered their own hogs as long as I've been alive. I have never ever seen a hog slaughtered and butchered in the manner that you say is in that PETA video.
There is enough real animal cruelty in the world without these kind of falsehoods.
When word of these kind of false presentations become general knowledge it just makes it harder for legitimate organizations like the SPCA.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Carl Heinz

And shame on us for having dogs and cats sharing their homes with us.

I'm sure they'd really love my hat device which includes an ermine skull and rooster feathers.
Carl Heinz
Guild of St Cuthbert

Sir William Marcus

PETA is way the farg out of control!

All I could wish for is...

1.) To load Ingrid Newkirk and all her PETA members into a large cargo plane.
2.) Then dump them in the most far-out reaches of the northwest territories.
3.) Then see how long it takes them to emerge with a "raccoon on a stick!"

VENI, VIDI, VELCRO! Spelling and grammatical errors are beyond my control, it's the way I'm wired.

Hatter

Since Penn and Teller got their start at the MRF it may be appropriate to reference them.  Their series "bovine poopie" did a segment on PETA.  They documented that PETA supports violent terrorism.  They also documented that of all the animal rights and humane organizations, PETA kills a larger percentage of "rescued" animals than any other.  As for me PETA has no credibility!!

Miguel de Zaragoza

They may have no credibility, but they have power. And, at least someone is trying to look out for critters, however imperfect.

Angus

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, then why did he make them out of meat?"
Chief cook, and bottle washer...

DeadBishop

To me, it looks these animals were given royal treatment...

.....and that is all I have to say on this subject.   ;D

R/F.com member since 2003

brier patch charlie

And they look a might tasty, I might add ;D
Charles Coleman

Sir Martin

Regardless of one's feelings on the wearing of fur or leather, it is wrong to throw blood, paint, etc., on another human being.

Scarlett

Interesting topic.  I, for one, have never had a problem with anyone at faire making negative comments on my leather garb/accessories.  I have no fur.  And I do not agree with ANY type of group forcing their beliefs on others.  In this country, we have the right to choose our religion, eating habits, political affiliations, etc.  It's silly for others to preach what others should wear or eat.  I don't stand in front of a Jewish temple and say their beliefs are wrong.  And I simply ABHOR the fanatics that dress up like Doctor Death and parade in front of abortion clinics, holding up dead fetuses in jars and passing out pamphlets showing severed fetus limbs and parts.  Extremists are everywhere I guess.

And as for the acts committed in the name of animals, I always thought that ALF (Animal Liberation Front) and ARM (Animal Rights Militia) were more radical that PETA, having claimed responsibility for sinking whaling ships, arson, etc. 
Mimosas - They're Not Just For Breakfast Anymore
SWG, Chapter 1, co-founding member

Lady Neysa

Deadbishop you probably just made some Vegan somewhere throw up! Not that there's anything wrong with vegetarianism-I'm just sayin'!  ;D

Have you seen the new Wendy's "meatatarian" commercial?

PurpleDragon

Quote from: Lady Neysa on August 15, 2008, 09:47:45 AM
Have you seen the new Wendy's "meatatarian" commercial?

~stands up~

Hi.  My name is PurpleDragon and I'm a Meatatarian.
Karl "Dragon" Wolff
The Pirates Cove

Bin Ich SCHLECHT? Ja BIN Ich.

Arsinoe Selene

You guys are making me hungry.

Hey, did you know that the frozen chicken nuggets you get at Safeway are actually really good for breakfast? ;D

I support animal rights. As in, anybody that has pets, if you neglect or abuse them, you should be shot, preferably in the head. Hunters, okay, go ahead, as long as you use the majority of the animal; eat the meat, if you don't tan hides, someone out there does. Just try to make sure it suffers as little as possible.

Not my thing, but if you want to, good on ya, go for it.

*mmm, chicken nuggets for breakfast...*