News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

PETA Problems at Fair

Started by brier patch charlie, August 11, 2008, 07:47:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scarletnyx

I haven't ran into PETA at fairs, but when I was just getting into faires and researching into it, I somehow came across a website of a small church somewhere that had set up a booth or whatnot outside of a faire to protest to " New Age / wicca / pagan / " ness of the faire. I can't find the exact website now ( I remember the booth was a tan, and was set in front of trees; vague I know ) but if you google around there's a few websites along that same lines.

Which is sad, I grew up in an Baptist church, and have two very faithful Catholic friends who both love renfaires but are steadfast as they come. Boggles the mind.
2013 RenNado Survivor
Phoenix Risen

Rowan MacD

Quote from: scarletnyx on October 10, 2012, 07:57:08 PM
I haven't ran into PETA at fairs, but when I was just getting into faires and researching into it, I somehow came across a website of a small church somewhere that had set up a booth or whatnot outside of a faire to protest to " New Age / wicca / pagan / " ness of the faire. I can't find the exact website now ( I remember the booth was a tan, and was set in front of trees; vague I know ) but if you google around there's a few websites along that same lines.

Which is sad, I grew up in an Baptist church, and have two very faithful Catholic friends who both love renfaires but are steadfast as they come. Boggles the mind.

That proves the protesters don't know their history.  ;)
   'Renaissance faires' by their very definition portray life and society during one of the most intensely religious times in European history.   The church was a pervasive and dominant presence at all public social gatherings, and fairs and festivals were a favored venue for selling indulgences, religious medals and holy water. In fact, most annual village Faires were held on Saint's Days.

The primarily Fairy/Fantasy festivals are about as close as anything at faire gets to 'pagan', and the festivals that concentrate on that aspect are not technically Renaissance Faires, at least anymore than a Steampunk convention or Comicon is a 'Renaissance Faire'.

What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

scarletnyx

Quote from: Rowen MacD on October 11, 2012, 11:30:55 AM
Quote from: scarletnyx on October 10, 2012, 07:57:08 PM

That proves the protesters don't know their history.  ;)
   'Renaissance faires' by their very definition portray life and society during one of the most intensely religious times in European history.   The church was a pervasive and dominant presence at all public social gatherings, and fairs and festivals were a favored venue for selling indulgences, religious medals and holy water. In fact, most annual village Faires were held on Saint's Days.

The primarily Fairy/Fantasy festivals are about as close as anything at faire gets to 'pagan', and the festivals that concentrate on that aspect are not technically Renaissance Faires, at least anymore than a Steampunk convention or Comicon is a 'Renaissance Faire'.

From my understanding the origin of the word "pagan" pretty much means a country dweller. So, if you go to a Faire, and live in the country, you are a pagan. And I'm sure a lot of people during the Renaissance period that -went- to these fairs ( or any gathering ) probably lived far off from the town center.

Now to play the devil's advocate here, some faires do have tarot card/palm reading booths, and I can understand if you are brought up with no reasoning sense how that could scare you. But! Guess what! just turn your head away and don't look at it! And don't go in! Problem solved.
2013 RenNado Survivor
Phoenix Risen

Auryn

Those are the same people that protest DragonCon every year.
I don't pay them any mind except for laughing at their sillyness
Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec

Rowan MacD

Quote from: Auryn on October 11, 2012, 01:19:00 PM
Those are the same people that protest DragonCon every year.
I don't pay them any mind except for laughing at their sillyness
I do know that the Westboro League of Morons regularly pickets Cons, was this a different group?
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Auryn

Rowen
I have no idea which group it was, noone paid them any attention.
Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec