News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Roll Call for Boothies and Participants- Pre-Show

Started by Blue66669, August 12, 2008, 09:44:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PurpleDragon

Quote from: knarlyknot on August 14, 2008, 08:40:30 AM
Anybody have any ideas for water control?  We're down in swamp alley, ya know, in between the Odean and the joust and last year the sprinklers and the rain made a river through our tent.  Which wasn't so bad until people walked in and created 4 inches of mud.  We're looking for flooring ideas, something relatively light weight, temporary and most important cost effective.  We haven't found anything yet that meets those requirements so we're thinking we'll just deal with it like we did last year.  Any ideas?

I'll be sending you a PM shortly.
Karl "Dragon" Wolff
The Pirates Cove

Bin Ich SCHLECHT? Ja BIN Ich.

Blue66669

Well, my idea would be to take two or three large pallets, reinforce them with 2 X 4's, then cover the whole thing with sheets of plywood. You'll end up with a platform of sorts I think. Now, also remember that I'm no carpenter. Just a girl with lots of eyeliner and nail polish.

Maybe I should leave this up to the men folks...
Blaidd Drwg

PurpleDragon

Quote from: blue66669 on August 14, 2008, 09:45:51 AM
Well, my idea would be to take two or three large pallets, reinforce them with 2 X 4's, then cover the whole thing with sheets of plywood. You'll end up with a platform of sorts I think. Now, also remember that I'm no carpenter. Just a girl with lots of eyeliner and nail polish.

Maybe I should leave this up to the men folks...

Actually, that's a good idea, however 2 pallets would only cover 32 sqare foot (pallets are 4ft x 4ft square). One would actually want enough flooring to cover the interior area of the tent, and perhaps extend out by 6 - 8 inches IF the tent is not one that comes all the way to the ground. 

I sent a few ideas to knarlyknot by way of a PM which hopefully will help out.  Since my booth is also in that area (The Pirates Cove), I know what the runoff is like down there when it rains.  We usually end up with a river flowing past us.
Karl "Dragon" Wolff
The Pirates Cove

Blue66669

Ok, so you get 4 pallets, dem...... Some people are so "touchy"
Blaidd Drwg

knarlyknot

I say we let the men folk worry about the water and Blue and I go shopping for eyeliner and nail polish.  Then even if we have lakefront property we'll look good!

Thanks, Karl and Blue for the ideas!!

Blue66669

Sounds like a plan to me. Meet me at noonish, we'll go shopping in Tomball or Conroe :-*
Blaidd Drwg

HollyAtFairyEffects

Quote from: knarlyknot on August 14, 2008, 08:40:30 AM
Anybody have any ideas for water control?  We're down in swamp alley, ya know, in between the Odean and the joust and last year the sprinklers and the rain made a river through our tent.  Which wasn't so bad until people walked in and created 4 inches of mud.  We're looking for flooring ideas, something relatively light weight, temporary and most important cost effective.  We haven't found anything yet that meets those requirements so we're thinking we'll just deal with it like we did last year.  Any ideas?

I'm not sure that anything less than a deck would suffice.  You have to get high enough off the ground to make a difference.  Last year, when we just had our deck, and the water just ran on either side of us like rivers.  Our deck was 8 inches high, and I'd say the water rose to at least 4-5 inches around us.  The shoppe next door to us has a cobblestone floor and he just opened the back door and let the water run through the store.  And a few years ago, when I was with another booth (by the Pony Rides and Arena), the sprinklers got us every night.  One of the owners eventually got tarps, and everynight we had to wrap the entire tent (Gazebo) with them, so we wouldn't come back to a soaked booth the next day.  It was a pain in the butt, but it worked quite well.

Good luck with your water problem.  You're not the only one!

Blue66669

Well, in case anyone noticed, I didn't make it down last weekend. We were supposed to be painting, but I'm almost pretty sure that it's a bad idea to paint in the rain. Screws the drying cycles. Anywho, I don't know when Greenman and I will be out there, so here's hoping I see you all sometime soon!
Blaidd Drwg

PurpleDragon

I should be out there sometime on Saturday.  :)  Not sure when though.
Karl "Dragon" Wolff
The Pirates Cove

Botch

Already doing rehearsal weekends out there with the Spainyards... Yup I said it, Spainyards, (pronounce as speld)

Don't kill me yet until after last weekend, then have a ball... or a taco.

Botch

PurpleDragon

Quote from: Botch on August 27, 2008, 01:19:03 PM
Already doing rehearsal weekends out there with the Spainyards... Yup I said it, Spainyards, (pronounce as speld)

Don't kill me yet until after last weekend, then have a ball... or a taco.

Botch

How the hell did I miss seeing you there on Saturday?  I was there, picked up some good bargains at the Rummage sale too.
Karl "Dragon" Wolff
The Pirates Cove

Botch

I didn't spend too much time at all up there.  I had actually locked my keys in the ignition over by the MIL camping area.  ... along with my lunch, my hat, my TRF perf. Co. stuff, etc etc.

Tiger John hooked me up witih some "salt cracked pepper" potato chips.  He rocks!

Did you get anything from the sale?

Blue66669

I MISSED A SALE??????

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Blaidd Drwg

PurpleDragon

Quote from: Botch on August 29, 2008, 03:44:50 PM
I didn't spend too much time at all up there.  I had actually locked my keys in the ignition over by the MIL camping area.  ... along with my lunch, my hat, my TRF perf. Co. stuff, etc etc.

Tiger John hooked me up witih some "salt cracked pepper" potato chips.  He rocks!

Did you get anything from the sale?

Did I?  no, I did not,  (The kilt I wanted and would have got was about 1 size too small for my fat arse).

My Wife and Daughter however ... that's a TOTALLY differant story. Daughter ended up with 2 new skirts, one new bodice, bag of stones, and cloak clasp. 

Wife ended up with a mink capelette, some other stuff that I don't remember and a cloak clasp. 

Had I known you had locked your keys in you car, perhaps I could have helped you get into said vehicle. 
Karl "Dragon" Wolff
The Pirates Cove