News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Star Gazing and Earth Watching

Started by Femme Falchion, August 12, 2008, 03:17:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Femme Falchion

Greeting and Merry Met!

I'm hoping that others may be interested in palaver regarding observations you may have of the heavens and of the land and sea...it's magic and effects...

this is amazing...obviously mechanically done but with incredible detail.  Apparently the figure 8 refers to the upcoming lunar eclipse and it details an almost complete lunar cycle.
Domina Virago
Grand Mistress of the Order of the Hatchet
Mother Confessor
Sister of the Spring Fires

analise

Plus it's the symbol for infinity. :) (seriously, that was my first thought looking at it).

But it is definitely amazing.

Femme Falchion

Quote from: analise on August 12, 2008, 03:35:15 PM
Plus it's the symbol for infinity. :) (seriously, that was my first thought looking at it).

yes, me too!  I definitely felt alot of powerful energy afoot on 8/8/08 as well....
Domina Virago
Mother Confessor

nliedel

Creativity beyond belief!!!

Merry meet to you as well :)
My journey from mundane to Ren Actor

Witchylady

yes, how wonderfully magick is the earth and the heavens - one can only listen and heed the sounds of the Spirit as She guides us
As this journey unfolds, I am always awed by the splendour and grandeur of it all - and ever grateful that the Goddess and her entourage have welcomed me so
truly a delight!
t'is the stuff dreams are made of - and as this full Moon approaches, I am compelled to honour Her - and in doing so, I shall weave a whisper for the new friends and sisters and brothers I am meeting here..
blessings of Avalon to you all...
Cheers,
Witchylady xo

Angus

Just FYI:

The Pleiades Meteor shower is tonight in the northern hemi.

This year is predicted to be the best in several years... (up to 50 an hr.)

Early morning hours, (3A-5A) away from city lights is preferred.
Chief cook, and bottle washer...

Lady Mikayla of Phoenicia

I thought it was this morning, got up and out by 4am.  Saw a 1/2 dozen or so over 1 1/2 hrs.
"Embrace those who love you and rid yourself of those who bring you down."

Angus

...consider it a "2 Day Event" and enjoy.

Don't forget a chair and a bottle of wine.

Should a telescope be available to you, there is also a good view of Jupiter and 3 of her moons...

Femme Falchion

This is good to know!  I too thought the opportunity was only Tues am to see this display...

Here we are granted powerful views on top of a lake dam....there are often several small quiet gathering on lounge chairs with telescopes and candles.  A festive atmosphere!

But where is your Jupiter?  Mine is in Leo, "You truly do like outrageous spectacles and grand jolly times and will go out of your way to make them a reality"
    :D :D

So true, so true   ;D
Domina Virago
Mother Confessor

Angus

Actually, tonight it will be in Sagittarius...

Femme Falchion

Quote from: Angus on August 12, 2008, 10:02:10 PM
Actually, tonight it will be in Sagittarius...

I was being self-centered  ;) and speaking of my birth chart...

the skies were blanketed with clouds this morning...no Pleiades peeks for me this year

am hopeful for Jupiter:  Does anyone know what direction to look in?

COLUMBIA — Wednesday night will be one of the best nights of the year to observe the solar system's largest planet, Jupiter. The Central Missouri Astronomical Association is inviting people to view the skies in the Laws Observatory at MU.

Val Germann, president of the association, said Jupiter will be the one of the brightest objects in the night sky. When the sun, Earth and Jupiter align, as they do Wednesday, scientists say Jupiter is in opposition. This means it is closer to the sun and the Earth than any other day of the year.

If you go
WHAT: Jupiter viewing WHEN: 8 to 10 p.m. or later (depending on the view) WHERE: Laws Observatory on the fifth floor of the MU Physics Building
Because of Jupiter's proximity to Earth, astronomers and the public will get the best view of the year. Germann said this opportunity to view the planet could not have come at a better time because Jupiter now has three red spots that will be visible that night. Recently, the spots have moved closer together, an event that happens every few years, but the baby spot creates added interest, Germann said.
Domina Virago
Mother Confessor

RumbaRue

Haven't been able to see a dang thing due to the clouds at night!  :-[
Being Blond means I have the right to walk into any wall.

Angus

I had heard that the "Baby Spot" had merged with the "Great Spot"...

...maybe I missed a memo.