News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Hints for someone new to MDRF?

Started by DacianFalx, August 13, 2008, 02:04:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DacianFalx

Howdy folks!

I'm Geoff (long of Sterling in NY), and I'm headed to work at MDRF for the first time, this year. Haven't been a visitor in about 8 years, and am coming in now as a participant... any suggestions/hints/recommendations for things to know/do through the faire day or during the week?
I'm looking forward to seeing this O so beloved show from the inside...:-)

Thanks so much!   ;D
Those who say a certain something cannot be done, shouldn't interrupt those doing it.

Scotsman

Rule one ... drink water!

When in doubt come early for tailgate  ;)
Kilted Rogue #1411
Irish Penny BDE - Flattn'
Castleteer
Teer for life
RFC #56
Was that my inside voice?

analise

Definitely the tailgate!

Also: if you have the time, check out Fight School (I or II or both!). It's my absolute favorite show there.

Since you're a participant, take advantage of all the "back ways" behind booths to get from place to place through the grounds. Much faster than walking the long way 'round. But you probably already figured on that one. :)

What will you be doing at MDRF? Working in a booth or acting on the cast?

During the week: GO TO ANNAPOLIS. Srsly. Best little town ever. Visit the Naval Academy. See the tomb of John Paul Jones. Sit down by the water and watch the boats go by. There's great people watching to be had. Amazing restaurants. Interesting shopping. Stuff like that. One of my favorite places. :D

Also, go to the National Cryptologic Museum right next to the NSA. It's free and open weekdays from 10 to 4 (and 1st and 3rd Saturdays from 10 to 2).

Lady_Glorianna

Without knowing what you will be doing I'd say, get rest on Fridays, PACE yourself and like Scotsman said be sure to keep hydrated preferably with water ;) throughout the day. If you haven't done so and as soon as you are able, get there early and explore the site. As Analise suggested, get to know the entire village.
Lady Elizabeth Poyntz
Ynez de Leon
Catherine of Austria, Queen consort of Portugal
Molly Blair

DacianFalx

Thanks a lot guys... I used to do Eastern/Midwest circuit for a few years... so, I have many of the normal faire day-to-day things set in mind... but the suggestions on what to see locally are great, thanks!
For myself, I'll be working for Potomac Leather making and marketing all the fun things we have... :-)
Love to make your acquaintances as the season wears on!
Those who say a certain something cannot be done, shouldn't interrupt those doing it.

analise

Sounds like fun!

I'll probably be working part time down at Lloyd Studios (they do bone, antler, and ivory carving. Really beautiful stuff). But the rest of the time I'll be wandering around so I'll try to stop by and say hi!

Lady_Glorianna

I'm on cast as is my husband Sir Dragon. He is part of the living history which is sort of across from the Potomac Leather. No doubt we shall see each other. :D
Lady Elizabeth Poyntz
Ynez de Leon
Catherine of Austria, Queen consort of Portugal
Molly Blair

Lumpy

Quote from: DacianFalx on August 13, 2008, 04:05:55 PM
For myself, I'll be working for Potomac Leather making and marketing all the fun things we have... :-)
Love to make your acquaintances as the season wears on!

Prax and I were cleaning out the Potomac booth just today. It's all clean and woodsy for another season.
See ya soon in Revel Grove.
Founder, MDRF Friends of Faire
Dread Pirate Lumpy
Lump'n M'Crack

Dallan

Welcome my friend. I'm hoping to land the job of Official Keg Drainer this year.  ;D
Fight'n

Scotsman

Well if your at Potomac we will be spending some time there I am sure ... that & Wolfstone  ;D
Kilted Rogue #1411
Irish Penny BDE - Flattn'
Castleteer
Teer for life
RFC #56
Was that my inside voice?

LadySeasan

like Analise said-see fight school! awesome show

and also get the Steak on a Stake. it is sooooooooo yummy!
Clan M'Crack-Season M'Crack

RedRobin

During the week I would definitely check out the Inner Harbor in Baltimore, as well as Fells Point, and the aquarium.  Just make sure you don't try to drive up or back during rush hour.  Same thing with DC.  If you like crazy foods then I would try Ethiopian in DC..... it's probably the craziest thing I have ever tasted, and hard to describe.  Definitely try the Ethiopian beers and wines.

If you plan on coming or going to the faire at all after it has opened make sure you have more than one route mapped out to get you to and from faire.  97 can get pretty backed up during the mid day.

Oh, and if you're looking for a chill spot to grab a burger and beer after faire, and don't feel like dealing with Annapolis, Jaspers in Crofton is pretty darn good.

DacianFalx

Thanks, folks, for all your help and assistance... making this Sterling boy feel welcome!
I'm headed to final weekend of my home show, and then straight to your neck of the woods Monday morning, and setting up camp, on site, by Tuesday noon, I believe. So, I hope to make new (in person) friends with you all and extend my faire family some more...:-)

Love to you all, and see you soon!

queenrogue

well met Geoff, welcome to the potomac leather / wolfstone kilt family! i work at Wolfstone :) (but only on Sat's this year)

Amras Elfwine

Hi there, dishy QueeneRogue!!

And, DacianFalx, welcome...I recommend the house band, "The Pyrate Royale", at 1100 at the Globe.

R/F member since 2004
"They say that men who go warring afield look ever to the next hope of food and of drink." ~Tolkien

"Who are you callin' plushy??" ~ Todd the Squirrel