News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Photos/Avatars for profiles

Started by ladiedragon, May 10, 2008, 08:52:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ladiedragon

I'm curious..are we not allowed to have them here? or what, I've looked all over my profile and cannot find the spot to add an avatar. This forum is identical to another I am on, and I can put an avatar in there. sorry if this has already been posted.

lady serena

I'm not positive but I think DB temporarily shut them off for now.
Guppy # 81
Fins up

ladiedragon

thank you for answering lady Serena. It's frustrating to ask a question-and see that 68 people have looked at it but no one seems to know. And there are..the last time I checked..quite a few moderators on here, so just a bit frustrating.
I guess i could go looky and search but I wouldnt know where to start.

DeadBishop

Hi LD, sorry I didn't post here.  I had about 30 people ask via renmail about this same thing, and thought you were one of them.  We've turned them off to keep any files from being uploaded to the forum's server, as it could pose a security risk, and the last thing we need is more hackers messing with this new forum after all the work I did to get it up and running.  They may be turned on at a later date, but at this point we're just playing it safe.

R/F.com member since 2003

Zoë

Probably a good idea to stick on the side of caution for now, god forbid there's another crash.  *crosses fingers*
Capitaine Zoë D'Arcachon
Elizabeth Covington
Fritzie the Fairy

PyroMaster

Do not burden yourself with the secrets of scary people.

ladiedragon

ok i get it, so bascially at a later time the rest of us maybe will have the opportunuty to have an avatar, like the mods already do right now. thats cool

again not trying to be a pain, just trying to understand. cool

Rage

Quote from: ladiedragon on May 13, 2008, 01:00:06 PM
ok i get it, so bascially at a later time the rest of us maybe will have the opportunuty to have an avatar, like the mods already do right now. thats cool

again not trying to be a pain, just trying to understand. cool

No cupcake, I believe what DB is saying is that we will not be able to use avatars. The people who already have them got them up before the ability to add an avatar was removed.

Would that be correct DB?

Not to sound like a jerk but those of you that already have avatars may want to remove them just so that this question doesn't keep coming up. I understand your reason for removing the ability install avatars.

Princess Amanda

I had a devil of a time getting photos up and now they are so large you can make out my pores and I can't figure out how to size them.  A photos 101 guide (assume mediocre computer skills) would be helpful.

(Awesome job on this site by the way.)

DeadBishop

I haven't completely abandoned the idea of having avatars, they're just on hold for the time being.  I don't want to build a fire just yet if it's going to attract wild animals...

willin

Quote from: Rage on May 13, 2008, 01:26:17 PM
Not to sound like a jerk but those of you that already have avatars may want to remove them just so that this question doesn't keep coming up. I understand your reason for removing the ability install avatars.

we the few who did put avatars/photos in the profiles before the option to do so was removed,
don't have the ability to remove, change or turn them off.  the profile photo field is not there anymore. 

i expect the ability will be restored, & everyone will be able to add their own before too long,
(but hey what do do i know?)  8)
GOT FEET ?

renfairephotog

what software do you have? Most will have image size and web optimization features.
Twenty seasons of covering renaissance  festivals. Photos/calendar/blog.
Fairy photographer

DeadBishop

Yes, you'll have to resize the image yourself.  Some online hosts off the ability to resize during upload or even  afterwards.  I'm alos looking to see if there is a setting here that will default all images to a certain maiximum size to help.

Mistress Charlotte

This clears up a lot.................  I thought I was just stupid.  To bad I've spent an hour trying to figure it out..........
Cause, "Cake or death?" That's a pretty easy question.
Anyone could answer that.
"Cake or death?"
"Eh, cake please."

Lord Figaro

I did the same thing Mistress C, I couldn't figure it out and thought I was missing something. In time I'm sure DB and John will work it all out.
Those who do not remember their past are condemned to repeat their mistakes.

George Santayana