News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

The Acorn Wood

Started by Amras Elfwine, May 10, 2008, 09:50:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elinor Hakebourne

Quote from: Amras Elfwine on June 07, 2008, 04:09:13 PM
We love Side Tangents!!

Hail, oh Elemental Airy one...Spyro has been known to lift his kilt up when he's had one too many shots of macadamia nut liquor at faire...I try not to encourage him!

Oh dear! I'm blushing just THINKING about Spyro lifting his kilt like that! ;)

Fairyfly

Quote from: Dracconia on June 03, 2008, 11:36:50 PM
Amras...I was looking and I can't find the thread...I think we had one at least, on learing to speak/read Elvin...could you point me in the right direction?

This is the link that Calith gave me a while back.

http://www.grey-company.org/Circle/language/phrase.htm

I hope it helps you as much as it has me!
EtteMum
TaskMistress of the Bayou Scoundrel's
Fae'N M'Crack... or at least working on it.
Rani's Divine Whip

appljx

*covers eyes to save her innocence and not see Spyro lift his kilt*

Trillium

Appl...since when were you innocent??   :o ;D
Got faerie dust?

Fairyfly

Tee hee I was thinking the same thing, but opted for keeping my mouth shut.  ;) ;D :P
EtteMum
Rani's Divine Whip

appljx

*giggles*  that's why it's funny!

Fairyfly

*Tosses a bunch of black walnuts all over*

The squirrels back home love those.

Appl, you almost cost my laptop a green tea bath. I don't think there's a single Sis of mine who's innocent. Tee hee That's why you're all my Sisters!  :P :o
EtteMum
Rani's Divine Whip

Amras Elfwine

Fall seems to be gaining momentum here...the leaves were startnig to plummet already...picked up many acorns (for craft purposes) today...they seem to be smaller than normal this year, and should make for some really fine looking art work eventually...the furry ones out back only eat about half of them, and I seem to be welcome to the rest...they love bombing the truck with leaves.

Soon, the two-handed claymoore rake will come out of the scabbard, I'm afraid...
R/F member since 2004
"They say that men who go warring afield look ever to the next hope of food and of drink." ~Tolkien

"Who are you callin' plushy??" ~ Todd the Squirrel

Amras Elfwine

It wasn't one of mine...I swear... ::)

http://www.sj-r.com/homepage/x1776792376/Army-sergeant-details-squirrel-attack-in-Washington-Park

(The cadre of the Squirrel-Mmando Brigade Training School shall not be held liable for the behavior of any of its graduates...yeah, thats the ticket)
R/F member since 2004
"They say that men who go warring afield look ever to the next hope of food and of drink." ~Tolkien

Fairyfly

ROFL!!! In this round...hunter 0, squirrel 1!!! Someone needs to send him a squirrel translation for idiots book for Christmas!!! Tee hee
EtteMum
Rani's Divine Whip

LadyElizabeth

Oh my gosh, that story was hilarious!!  Totally made me laugh and that's always good...  I especially liked this one ladies comment about her husband getting bullied by squirrels on their back porch.  She recommended a squirrel attack support group for the two men.... how hilarious is that!!! 

Personally I think squirrels are pretty cute, but I'd not want to meet a 2 foot one in a back alley, they can be pretty aggressive.  My dad always has squirrel issues cause they are just so smart and they always figure out a way to get into his bird feeders....  He's always dreaming of them scheming behind his back on how to attack and capture the bird seed in his feeders.... it's pretty funny to hear him talk about it!!
Queen Elizabeth the 1st
Champagne the Bubbly
Bubbles the Fairy
Frost the Arctic Barbarian
Red the pirate

Amras Elfwine

Some of the little guys out back are, well, lets say, "nerdier" than others (especially the ones wearing wee glasses), and would probably excell at hiring chipmunks and prairy dogs to do their dirty work for them! 8)
R/F member since 2004

LadyElizabeth

Now that you mention it, I have seen a few squirrels with diagrams and tiny spectacles musing over the drawings!!  They are a crafty bunch!
Queen Elizabeth the 1st
Champagne the Bubbly
Bubbles the Fairy
Frost the Arctic Barbarian
Red the pirate

Anna Iram

Apparently it's not so much what you say to a squirrel as how much you twitch your tail.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/books/news/2004-01-13-animal-talk-part2_x.htm

Taken from the above site:

"Vocalizing like a squirrel requires smacking the tongue against the roof of the mouth in a manner similar to the way a horse would be coaxed to trot, or when a person wants to convey tsk-tsk. Almost immediately the squirrel came from around the tree and stared at me. I was startled but I made a few more of the sounds. The squirrel raised its bushy tail, pointed its ears toward me and began to approach, looking straight at me with genuine curiosity. Within a few seconds it had climbed onto a branch that stretched out nearest to my balcony. (I was not holding food, which would be baiting the experiment.)

The squirrel cautiously investigated the situation; head fully extended, ears still pointed forward, tail raised about halfway twitching only slightly. Faster tail twitching would be a visual signal that conveys aggression or fear, or more likely a mixture of both. I made the sound again, taking care to sound as friendly as possible. Time seemed to stand still. The squirrel appeared to sniff. Its dark eyes were alert as it continued to gaze at me, now less than 10 feet away. Then, having satisfied its curiosity and certain that I had nothing more of interest to offer, the squirrel scampered off."

Amras Elfwine

Thats a pretty good description of the "smacking" sound, Anna...I can call them like that, when they're in the mood, anyway...they have a distress call thatsounds like a long, drawn-out crow call...I have a squirrel call that will make that one...the tail twitches are a language all their own, as complex as any type semaphore done with signal flags...much like prairie dogs out west, they usually leave one on watch here, to warn the others when one of the numerous hawks around here is detected out shopping for lunch.
R/F member since 2004