News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Faire is over... *sniffle sniffle*

Started by Lady_Claira, September 21, 2008, 10:05:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brother Robert of Essex

Quote from: Lady_Claira on September 27, 2008, 01:43:29 PM
I have no idea when I'll be there renfairewench. But I do know it won't be that weekend because that is when I'm going LARPing!

LARPing? Is that another Faire thing?

SirBlackFox

Don't be too sad. . . .  there'll be photos in the first issue of Faire Magazine to see. . .so it'll always be opening day at NYRF when you turn the pages!

www.fairemagazine.com
Publisher, Faire Magazine, The Concordium, & The Pyrates Way
Founder, FriendsofMDRF

Black'n McCrack

theChuck

Quote from: Sir Robert of Essex on September 29, 2008, 08:53:49 AM

live action roleplaying. basically... take D&D, and act it out.
The Renlist - find faires near you!

Brother Robert of Essex

Quote from: theChuck on September 29, 2008, 10:49:00 PM

live action roleplaying. basically... take D&D, and act it out.

Gotcha, interesting.

Lady_Claira

LARPing stands for Live Action Roleplaying. We are spending a weekend in costumes as elves, half elves, humans, triclops, or other creatures and running around 23 acres of woods. Some people will be monsters and others will be good guys. We'll be trying to obtain a mission but will have to work it out with all the bad guys attacking us and spells flying at us and such. Only instead of just saying we are, we have to actually act it out. Which will be so sweet and awesome!
You see this training pin? It could be yours. You could learn all about wenches! And that's a promise! - My friend Mike

Brother Robert of Essex

Quote from: Lady_Claira on September 30, 2008, 06:03:13 PM

LARPing stands for Live Action Roleplaying. We are spending a weekend in costumes as elves, half elves, humans, triclops, or other creatures and running around 23 acres of woods. Some people will be monsters and others will be good guys. We'll be trying to obtain a mission but will have to work it out with all the bad guys attacking us and spells flying at us and such. Only instead of just saying we are, we have to actually act it out. Which will be so sweet and awesome!

Sounds like a lot of fun actually.. How do you determine if something succeeds or fails is there some sort of a referee or is it just decide as you go?

Lady_Claira

Well there is a ref and there is a set of rules and everything. And if I ever get confused, I can shout "Clarify" then I would be able to ask what was going on. When I attack some of my attacks cause damage. Like I can run at you and if we're fighting I can swing my weapon and shout "Critical Strike Damage 5" and that would mean you take 5 damage. Only for me that would be bad if I got attacked like that because I only have 5 life points since I'm level one. So that would kill me. Otherwise, strikes that land are worth 1 damage a piece unless you have a spell or attack that works otherwise. But it all goes by the rule book and if you ever get confused a ref will clarify. And there's rules on how you live and how you die as well. It's insane.

If you want, once I go and tell you all about it... If you're still interested I could send you a link with more information. I'm pretty sure there are people who come from New Jersey and New York and such to join in. And the costumes are cool because it's a fantasy rp so it has a ren feel to it with the costuming.

But I'm gonna wait till I see what it's like before I refer anyone to it, you know?
You see this training pin? It could be yours. You could learn all about wenches! And that's a promise! - My friend Mike

Brother Robert of Essex

Quote from: Lady_Claira on October 01, 2008, 10:45:43 PM
Well there is a ref and there is a set of rules and everything. And if I ever get confused, I can shout "Clarify" then I would be able to ask what was going on. When I attack some of my attacks cause damage. Like I can run at you and if we're fighting I can swing my weapon and shout "Critical Strike Damage 5" and that would mean you take 5 damage. Only for me that would be bad if I got attacked like that because I only have 5 life points since I'm level one. So that would kill me. Otherwise, strikes that land are worth 1 damage a piece unless you have a spell or attack that works otherwise. But it all goes by the rule book and if you ever get confused a ref will clarify. And there's rules on how you live and how you die as well. It's insane.

If you want, once I go and tell you all about it... If you're still interested I could send you a link with more information. I'm pretty sure there are people who come from New Jersey and New York and such to join in. And the costumes are cool because it's a fantasy rp so it has a ren feel to it with the costuming.

But I'm gonna wait till I see what it's like before I refer anyone to it, you know?

Hm sounds interesting - I remember playing a similar fantasy game in Jr High many years ago and I have heard that larp term before, usually in conjunction with the gothic / vampire crowd  so I always assumed it was a reference to something like that. I imagine this means they must have been playing vampire roles then similar to the fantasy role.

In any event, yes let me know how that goes and what you think.   SOmeone at Faire approached me too with something similar to this - called Falo? or some such. But he described it as acting out a role but no rules. I'm thinking if it is the same concept, I'd prefer some sort of rules to it. Sounds like it would be too chaotic and people would be arguing.  ( Getting flash backs to playing 'army man' in elementary school:  "I shot you you're dead"  "Nuh-Uh you missed!"  lol )

SirBlackFox

Publisher, Faire Magazine, The Concordium, & The Pyrates Way
Founder, FriendsofMDRF

Black'n McCrack

Lady_Claira

Brother Robert of Essex

Wow that looks..utterly confusing LOL