News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Kabak Mucver

Started by Marietta Graziella, August 16, 2008, 08:36:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marietta Graziella

Also known as that strange food I made for breakfast.  ;)

Since several people asked for this recipe, I thought I'd just post it here.
This is a Turkish recipe, hence the name.
3 firm courgettes, washed, trimmed, shredded
2-3Tbl  Olive Oil
1 large onion sliced very thinly
4 Garlic cloves, chopped
3 Tbl Flour
3 Eggs, beaten
8 oz Feta, crumbled
1/4 to 1/2 cup EACH  Flat leaf parsley, dill, mint, minced  (I used more parsley and mint, less dill)
1 Fresh red chilli, seeded, chopped  (NOT a bell pepper)
oil for shallow frying
salt and pepper  (go easy on the salt, the feta is pretty salty)
mint leaves to garnish

1.  Put the shredded courgettes into a colander, sprinkle with salt.  Allow to weep for at least 5 minutes.
2.  Squeeze to remove as much liquid as possible.  Heat a couple tablespoons olive oil, stir in courgettes, onion and garlic.  Fry until they begin to colour.  Remove from heat and cool.
3.  In large bowl mix the flour and eggs to form a smooth batter.  Beat in the cooled courgette mixture.  Add feta, herbs, red chilli, season with a bit of black pepper.  Mix well.
4.  Heat enough oil for shallow frying in a heavy pan.  Drop by teaspoons (or tablespoons for larger portions), leaving space between, then fry over medium heat for 5-8 minutes until browned on both sides.
5.  Remove with slotted spoon to plate with paper towels, blot.  Repeat with remaining batter.

*note*  I cooked these up the night before then popped them into a 375 degree oven for 30 minutes to heat them thru.  I also served them with cacik/tszasiki yogurt sauce.
Nothing clever to say here.  Not enough caffine yet.

Escarlata

*frowning* [whiney voice] Want some .... [/whiney voice] At least want to try it, sounds wonderful. I love new foods.
Esc be no lady!
Bringing Good and Bad Dreams...as appropriate
FaireNews-spreading the Joy of Faire, one post at a time

Goody

was good  but now i hafta google courgettes??

Escarlata

*chuckling* S'okay, I did to. I probably shouldn't tell you that when I first read it, my brain translated it to corgi and my first thought was "ewwwwww .... well, at least she found a good use for them"

My apologies to any Corgi lovers out there. Those that I have met were nice people and their dogs were very polite. Somehow, the breed just doesn't appeal to me.
Esc be no lady!
Bringing Good and Bad Dreams...as appropriate
FaireNews-spreading the Joy of Faire, one post at a time

Lady Renee Buchanan

Courgettes are known in America as zucchini.  I learned this the first time I went to England to meet Steve's family in the 70's.

We went to a restaurant on the way home from the airport, and there was this vegetable that I didn't know what it was.  Steve said it was courgettes.  I ate it and thought it was delicious.  Everywhere we went out to eat, I asked for courgettes.

Then, several months later, Steve came to Florida to meet my parents and relatives.  Back in those days, they didn't have huge supermarkets in England, and as a chef, he was fascinated by our supermarkets.  He used to go every Sunday morning with my mother.  One Sunday I went along with them.  In the produce section, he held up a zucchini.  I said, "That's a zucchini, yuk, I hate them." 

When I was growing up on Fridays you couldn't eat meat, so once in a while my mother would fry up zucchini and onions, and scramble some eggs in all together, and I never liked it.  At which point Steve cracked up laughing and said, "Ren, these are courgettes."

So from then on, I ate courgettes/zucchini, and I love them!  Thanks for the recipe, we will surely try it. :)
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Goody

AHHHH! Its all clear now. this yr Mom decided not to grow Zuchs cuz we usually dont do a whole lot with and look I coulda made MG recipe!

Marietta Graziella

Courgettes are my FAVORITE veggie!  So versatile, so tasty.  Yummy!!!

Lady Renee Buchanan

I love zucchini bread! 

The Sinsinawa Dominican Sisters have a bakery at their motherhouse in SW Wisconsin, 11 miles from us.  They sell cinnamon bread, zucchini bread, apple pies, and cinnamon rolls to the public.  All are delicious, but their zucchini bread is out of this world.  Maybe divinely inspired?  lol  :D
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

groomporter

Quote from: Marietta Graziella on August 17, 2008, 08:57:08 PM
Courgettes are my FAVORITE veggie!  So versatile, so tasty.  Yummy!!!

So prolific, so ... suggestive?  ::)
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

Synnovea

Okay, I don't remember how you pronounced this MG but they were FABULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (did I get enough exclamation points in there?) Thanks for posting the recipe.  I will have to take a stab at making them sometime...and yes, I had to google courgettes which was silly cuz I distinctly remember you saying there was zucchini in them and that was the only ingredient mysteriously not listed  :-\ 

I will qualify that with the fact that after Saturday, Sunday was...well...I felt like I had been hit by at least 4 freight trains. 

Lady_Lily

Omg...those were absolutely fantastic. I could've just sat and ate tons of them!! Wow MG AWESOME!!!!!!!!

Marietta Graziella

I'm so very (very!!) glad they were well received.  I like to make something a bit out of the ordinary to get people to try new things.  Huzzah to you all for being brave enough to eat a new mystery food!   ;)

These will freeze nicely so feel free to make an extra big batch and throw them in the freezer for those quick, light meals.

Oh yes, and Groomporter...  You're so naughty!   ;) :o  But so very right.   :P

They are pronounced Kah-bahk Muck-vere (vere as in "where")