News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Jasmine?

Started by Craigmeister, August 17, 2008, 01:31:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craigmeister

Does the scent of jasmine in the air help make a good Ren faire for you?  Maybe I was just spoiled w/ it.  The first couple of faires I attended had it on the wind.  Now I really take notice when I'm at a faire & smell it again.  Huzzah.
Providing faire information for over 10 years (updated monthly).  Visit www.meistersrealm.com to find all the Renaissance & Celtic-type Festivals in North America.  There's much more to see and do in 'The Realm' as well.

Escarlata

I love the smell of it but .... which faires have it, I need to make special precautions when I attend them.

Some scents will set off a migraine for me and jasmine is one of them. Yep, I'm scent intolerant - gardenia, jasmine, honeysuckle, and orange all have that affect on me. Worst part is, the oils from those flowers are used as the base for many perfumes.
Esc be no lady!
Bringing Good and Bad Dreams...as appropriate
FaireNews-spreading the Joy of Faire, one post at a time

wyckdblyss

I am so glad to hear that I am not the only one who is scent sensitive! I also suffer migraines, and have really bad allergies on top of it, so I too have to be very careful about what flowers (and trees) I am expposed too...I can't even have a live Christmas tree anymore. :'(

I too am curious which faires have jasmine...I have never personally encountered it at TRF (of course I tend to be preoccupied), but it would be good to know for future reference.
WyckdBlyss,
Royal Order of Lansharks Guppy No. 70

Craigmeister

I got used to jasmine at the Oklahoma Renaissance Faire several years ago in the gypsy encampment.  I picked up its scent to the left of the entrance at Scarborough 5 years ago.  I've smelled it at the Norman Medieval Faire as well.  Maybe it's a regional thing.

What is sandalwood?  A plant?  A type of wood used in building booths?
Providing faire information for over 10 years (updated monthly).  Visit www.meistersrealm.com to find all the Renaissance & Celtic-type Festivals in North America.  There's much more to see and do in 'The Realm' as well.

analise

Quote from: Craigmeister on August 18, 2008, 02:45:48 PM

What is sandalwood?  A plant?  A type of wood used in building booths?

I believe it's a type of wood.

But it's mostly found as a scent in incense which I've seen very often burning in various places at MDRF, at least.

(It's also one of my favorite scents in BPAL perfumes!)

cyfnos

the smell that automatically bring ups fond thoughts of faire is Honeysuckle.  Tennessee's faire time overlaps with the blossoming of the flower.  The TNRF grounds use to smell stronger of it, but I think there may have been some groundskeeping, and pruning, done last year.  In some areas, one can still catch a whiff- like by the Crosswinds stage, or the paths leading in/out of the parking lot.

I wouldn't have a problem if my faires smelled of Jasmine either... ;D 

GirlChris

Unfortunately, the smell that reminds ME of faire is a combination of sunscreen, cigarette smoke and leather. It clings to my garb and nothing really seems to get it out.

Queen Bonnie

Pachoulli incense smells like faire to me! And the cinnamon roasting nuts!
I love Jasmine- but my favorite is Gardenia!
Wingardium Leviosa!
Tis not the length of the staff- but the magick there in!

DuCoeur

Sandel Wood, Bay rum, and I agree With her Majesty..Cinammon roasted nuts.  Jasmine is beautiful and reminds me of someone....

I would rather endure a thousand biblical hells then live a life of perpetual inconsequence.

Lady Mikayla of Phoenicia

Dragon's Breath or Dragon's Blood is usually burning as you enter CRF, that mixed with the Cinnamon Nuts roasting is a very pleasant smell for me entering my home faire. 
"Embrace those who love you and rid yourself of those who bring you down."

Lady Nicolette

I love jasmine scent, but only wear Shalimar. 

Faire scents to me are dust, Turkish coffee, cinnamon, dew on the grass in the morning and the evening.
"Into every rain a little life must fall." ~ Tom Rapp~Pearls Before Swine

Al-Nimer

At Scarby, for me it's the King's Nuts (roasted almonds) and the fires of the blacksmith & glass blower.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam, Mythbusters

Craigmeister

Quote from: Welsh Wench on August 18, 2008, 09:54:06 AM
I love jasmine and it is my favorite scent. I have a jasmine vine outside my office window and for three weeks of the year, it is heaven on earth.

I don't really recall BARF having a jasmine scent. It lblooms spring/summer and BARF is usually over by that time.

I think my favorite faires scent is sandalwood.

I ran across an incense cart today at the Kansas City Ren Fest.  I found sandalwood & smelled it.  I've never smelled it at a faire but the spa I go to burns it.  It's pretty good.