News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Book about Lady Jane Grey

Started by Toki Bloodaxe, August 18, 2008, 09:51:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toki Bloodaxe

I just read a book called "Innocent Traitor" written by Alison Weir. It is a fictionalized retelling of the tragic story of Lady Jane Grey, the young lady who ruled as England's Queen for just nine days after the death of Henry VIII's son Edward VI. She was essentially a tool of the very powerful Royal Protector, John Dudley, Duke of Northumberland (and her parents) who wanted to desperately hang on to power  when it became apparent that young King Edward was dying. Through many instances of courtly manipulation and intrigue, fifteen year old Jane has the crown forced on her in part because of her reformed Protestant faith, but also because so many of the English Nobles wanted to hang onto their ill-gotten gains siezed from the abbeys and monastaries during King Henry's great Dissolution. Queen Jane believes that she might actually become the means to save England from the Catholic influence of the Pope and of the King of Spain. But, the Lady Mary, who is fervently Catholic, and who should rightly have the crown enjoys great public support and eventually deposes Jane. This story is terribly tragic because, at first, Jane and some of her family, enjoy the Queen Mary's mercy. But, other factors intervene and bring on a truly horrible end for young Jane.
   I have to say that I enjoyed this book immensely. Not only is it well-written with a smooth, well flowing grace and voice. But, though it is fictionalized, so much fact is woven through the story that it really does provide excellent insight into the Tudor Era of English History. If you like this time period, as I do, you will probably enjoy this book as it makes for a fast and easy read. If you are simply a fan of historical fiction in general, or Renaissance romance fiction, this book will make a great addition to your library. be warned, though, it has a very sad ending. Poor Jane. I still feel like weeping for her.

Tammy

I just recently borrowed this book from my local library. It was an incredible read, only took me three days (with life intervening!) to get thru.
I'm sad to say, it's the only Alison Weir book my county library has! Ugh.
Royal Protector of Raccoons, Mistress of the Poi, Best Friend of Windland/Nim, Guppy, Seamstress for The Feisty Lady.

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

Allison Weir, Antonia Fraser, and David Starkey are the best writers regarding the life adn goings on of Tudor/Elizabethan England.

I will have to get that one.

Thanks for the review.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

The Lady Mercedes

I have this book as well as her  new one The Lady Elizabeth. They are both good. I also have her 4 biographies on the Tudors. Her, Carolly Erickson & Antonia Frazer are my fave biography writers.
Why be mundane when you can be a Rennie?!