News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Airtravel with swords

Started by Painted Lady, August 18, 2008, 10:24:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Painted Lady

Does anyone have any experence with traveling by airplane with decorative swords in checked luggage? I was gonna call the airline and the TSA.

But wondering if someone  has real-life tales. Thx PL

CelticOne

Not a sword but I had a dagger the last time I flew. I had it in its scabbard, and had no problems with TSA at all. In fact I had a sticker on my luggage that it had been opened and still had no problems.

According to the TSA website the regs for hunting knives are such.

Hunting Knives and Tools - Hunting knives and certain tools are prohibited from carry-on luggage. These items should be packed in checked luggage. Any sharp objects packed in checked luggage should be sheathed or securely wrapped to prevent injury to baggage handlers and security screeners.

I would imagine this would also cover swords as well. But it might be best to ask.
The mind is like a parachute, its best when open.

Poof Bird

I'm actually quite curious about this myself, as I'm traveling south and need to bring 2 swords with me.  Hmm, always complicated!

Angus

Use a sword case, and check them through.

I used a "padded Rifle hard case" that locked, and I disassembled my Rapier, (disassembly not recommended if you have a wire wrapped handle...) I have a bone handled Rapier, so I had no problem with disassembly. I also placed any other edged weapon in this case as well.

Make certain that you don't damage your weapon should you decide to disassemble it, practice first...

I did have to carry my "ring hilt" and that got some looks, but nothing happened at check in...
This was "post 9-11" as well.

However I would call and make doubly sure, I would hate to have an expensive sword confiscated due to uncertainties.
Chief cook, and bottle washer...

Sir William Marcus

Quote from: Angus on August 20, 2008, 03:28:43 AM
I used a "padded Rifle hard case" that locked,
However I would call and make doubly sure, I would hate to have an expensive sword confiscated due to uncertainties.

Absolutely 100%. Padded rifle cases and call your airline prior to depature.
VENI, VIDI, VELCRO! Spelling and grammatical errors are beyond my control, it's the way I'm wired.

Ragna

We've used hockey bags to transport weapons, well padded.  Declared as theatrical props.  Have never had any issues. 

I would double check with the individual airlines though.  The folks that come over from the UK do things this way....or they ship their weapons over a head of time then we ship them back over after the event.

Hope this helps.

Var Greyshadow

Took the sword, bow, quiver and hunting knife to Minnesota for RenDezvous last year.  I packed it all in a rifle case and checked it.  The baggage check lady asked if I had firearms and actually seemed relieved when I ran off the list of what WAS in the case.  I told her I was going to a renaissance festival and that it was all props for my character.  As I walked away from the baggage check-in, one of the TSA people called me over and asked me to tell her what was in there.  That conversation ended with her saying she might go to TRF that fall.  No problems on the return trip from Minnesota.
"All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost..." ~J.R.R. Tolkien "The Fellowship of the Ring"

Phillip McGuinness

Quote from: Ragna on August 20, 2008, 08:31:14 AM
We've used hockey bags to transport weapons, well padded.  Declared as theatrical props.  Have never had any issues. 
Ditto, except we used golf bags. :)

Just let them know you have swords in your checked luggage, and that they're theatrical props, and I don't forsee any problems.
Got any ale?

www.drunknsailor.com

Painted Lady

Thank you for all the good advice!

LadyAnn

Some of my friends have shipped their weapons to their hotel UPS or FedEx.  With the weight restrictions some of the airlines are imposing it might be cheaper.

~LadyAnn~
"Castleteer"
"Buccaneer Anne Campbell"  ~ "Sailing Master of the Relentless"
"Stitch'n M'Crack"