News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Newbie Question About Theme Weekends

Started by funandfolly, August 19, 2008, 12:54:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

funandfolly

This will be my first year attending the Minnesota Renaissance Festival and currently all my information about it comes from either the website or some vague comments friends have made. I'll probably only be able to go during one or maybe two weekends so I'm trying to figure out which ones are the best. My original plan was to go this coming weekend because the web site promises "Highland Dancers", which I think I'll enjoy, but it seems like everyone I talk to advocates a different weekend. I thought I'd get this forum's take on it. It'd like to know, does the theme of the weekend make a big difference to the atmospheres of the faire? Also, which one or two are your favorite weekends to go and why (doesn't have to be because of the theme, might be some other reason)? If any of you would be kind enough to answer my questions and provide me with your perspective on the matter I would be very grateful.

Lady_Lily

Honestly,
I don't really notice much of a difference between theme weekends and how it affects the overall atmosphere of the festival. If anything, on highland weekend, you see more people kilted than anyother time and more people dressed as belly dancers for the mideast mirage weekend. Otherwise, most of the special events are contained in the wooden pavillion by the joust area and there are a few tents here and there with information and sometimes vendors. For the most part, the festival remains unchanged and things happen the same and per usual everywhere else. Not sure what the actual status is, but I know last year there were highland games happening near the parking lot in a special area of fest, but I do not know if they will officially be there this year or not.

My advice, pick a weekend that you might wish to see some of the special events and check those out, but keep in mind, they definitely won't take up the majority of a day and will totally allow you to see other parts of the festival and such.

Rage

Different weekend pull slightly different crowds. The bulk of the faire doesn't seem to change that much on a given theme weekend.

If there is something specific like the highland dancers then by all means pick that weekend. If you just want to see the general fest then any weekend will work.

I was going to put 10:00 at the mead booth is where we meet and realized there are 3 of them this year. I think we need to post a picture of the booth or directions to it....

Random Girl

Quote from: Lady_Lily on August 19, 2008, 01:01:22 PM
Not sure what the actual status is, but I know last year there were highland games happening near the parking lot in a special area of fest, but I do not know if they will officially be there this year or not.

Yes.

~~Nessa~~
Safety Services Maven of Midnight
Crew member of the S.S. Hookers and Blow
Odissimur Iocos - We hate fun

Ferret

Go early. If you have a great time you can go again soon. If you wait until the last weekend, you'll have to wait almost a year before it starts again.
Once you've gone a few times, then you'll know better if you like a particular theme weekend.
Ferret

Comte de Gilbert

buy a season pass and go to them all.  It's really the right choice  ;D
Those that live by the sword, lose to those that live by the gun

Phelyp, Lord Maydestone

The different themes are nice, but as most people here have said, they don't make a huge overall difference to the Festival as a whole.  If you're close go to them all and then decide!  That's what I would do - but then again I'd love them all!
It's always time for Chardonnay!

Kiss-me-Kate

My favorite weekend is Highland weekend.  But, I am Scottish on my Mother's side, and a Kilt Inspector, so I am biased.
Nothing like a man in a kilt.  *sigh*

Otherwise, I never even notice the themes.

I concur on going soon, so if you LOVE it, you can at least get another fix in before next season.  Also, it will help decide whether or not you would like to purchase a season pass next year.
Also as a side note, I would say most of us go at least every Saturday.

Meet us at the Mead Booth at ten.  It is located on the east side of fest-between MacGregor  Games and the Foaming Stein.   If you see Fitz's cage hanging on the branch turn around and walk about ten feet.
We are hard to miss, there is quite a few of us.
Or if you see a R/F pin on someone, they'll be glad to point you in the correct direction.

Don't be shy, we don't bite.  Much.  Really.
~ Notouchin' M'Crack
Pucker Up!

white trillium

This will be the first year we get out there most weekends (we're going up north for Labor Day), but I am interested to see the different themes and what effect (if any) the themes have on the crowd etc. 
Everything starts as somebody's daydream. ~Larry Niven

Baron Doune

On Labor Day you'll see the largest crowds.  30K +

Come out to the Mead Booth at 10!

Don't be shy but please don't hit me with a stick like those other people do.

Kiss-me-Kate

Quote from: Baron Doune on August 19, 2008, 08:10:28 PM
On Labor Day you'll see the largest crowds.  30K +

Come out to the Mead Booth at 10!

Don't be shy but please don't hit me with a stick like those other people do.

Quit yer b*tchin'!
~ Notouchin' M'Crack
Pucker Up!

renren

Renren
Wench  #  3783
Treasure Guardian and giggling interrogator of the "Feisty Lady"

Guppy # 32 ROoL

Comte de Gilbert

Moi?!...  sacrĂ© bleu.

But seriously Labor day weekend is a good choice, as you will be able to meet all us friendly Arizonans
Those that live by the sword, lose to those that live by the gun

Lord Figaro

The reasons just keep on stacking up don't they????
Those who do not remember their past are condemned to repeat their mistakes.

George Santayana

Marietta Graziella

The best reason to come to Highland Fling?

KILTS!!!

DUH!   ;) :D

although...  I said something about yummy kilts this weekend to a coworker and all she said was "yuck! sweaty men in skirts."  Another coworker had to hold me back from slapping her.  *sigh*   OK, you kind of people just stay home!
Nothing clever to say here.  Not enough caffine yet.

groomporter

Speaking of which, we corrected someone on Saturday who was wearing their kilt backwards in hopes of helping them before someone really teased them about it.

-The pleats go in back. The smooth unpleated section goes in front and is called the "apron"
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

Captain Jack Wolfe

Quote from: Marietta Graziella on August 20, 2008, 07:27:57 AM

KILTS!!!

MG, are you going to try and smuggle in your leaf blower again this year?  ;)
"I'm not sure about people anymore. They're responsible for some pretty nutty stuff. Individuals I'm crazy about, though." ~ Opus

Muffin

Quote from: Marietta Graziella on August 20, 2008, 07:27:57 AM

KILTS!!!

DUH!   ;) :D

although...  I said something about yummy kilts this weekend to a coworker and all she said was "yuck! sweaty men in skirts."  Another coworker had to hold me back from slapping her.  *sigh*   OK, you kind of people just stay home!

*Gasp* I might have to come down there and slap said person for you then!!! Sweaty men in skirts!! Sheesh some people!!!
A Captains Wench

It's always Beer:30 here....

*sigh* So many kilts, so little time......

Ette

Marietta Graziella

Smuggle in a leaf blower?  Me?! ::)  If I want to see, I'll just lift and look.  However, I feel that a little imagination can be far more enticing.  That whole "undiscovered mystery" thing.   :D ;)

I, obviously, didn't convert that one person from work (men in skirts-slap!) but several others took the brochures I brought (about 10 of 'em) and I had gotten discount coupons from the dress press.  Had about 20 of those and they are all gone.  Maybe I'm bringing in some new blood and future junkies enjoyers.  Is that a word? ???

Nothing clever to say here.  Not enough caffine yet.

Lord Figaro

It is now MG, you just made it up. How else do new words come into being?
Those who do not remember their past are condemned to repeat their mistakes.

George Santayana

Baron Doune

ohhhhh....I'm in such big trouble with the Lady of the Wrinkle Feet.....

DeadBishop

R/F.com member since 2003

Baron Doune

Oh!  Did I post that? (Image edited)

Highland Weekend!

Where the women are strong and the sheep are nervous.

Rage

Quote from: Marietta Graziella link=topic=2936.msg50123#msg50123

"yuck! sweaty men in skirts." 

Rotf,

funandfolly

lol, You certainly are a lively bunch. ;-) I can see that I'm going to enjoy this faire whenever I go. Thanks for all the great advice.

Baron Doune

And what's the theme for Labor Day weekend?

Ferret

Royal Ale Fest for Labor Day weekend.
Ferret

GoldenLass

geeeeee, i wonder why the big turnout...... it wouldn't happen to be the ALE, would it?