News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

'Faire approved'

Started by Brother Robert of Essex, August 19, 2008, 03:56:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brother Robert of Essex

In browsing clothing and information for actors at Faire, I discovered something called "Faire Approved" and a few disclaimers that warn many of the big companies that sell 'authentic' garments are in fact not really providing garb that meets this standard.

How do they differentiate between what is "faire approved" and what isn't? If I'm going to invest in garb I'd like it to be as appropriate and close to the standard as possible..

Is there a list or rules for this 'Faire approved' garb somewhere to be found?

groomporter

Costume rules can vary from fair to fair so you would have to speak with the costume director of your local fair, assuming there is one, or ask if there are written guidelines. Or see if your local fair is listed here and check in with other people from that event.

If you're a paying customer there's not really such a thing as "fair approved," you can wear anything that's street legal for the community.
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

jcbanner

"Faire Approved" means something diffrent to each faire. I'm sure the faire I work with isn't the only one out there that has a costuming comittee that goes over fashion trends and makes the guidelines for garb each year, clothing styles changed from location to the next and same as today, there were always the latest fashions to be sorted through.

if persay the faire is representing mid 16th century spain, it wouldn't quite fit with the faire's goal if cast shows up wearing garb that represents 15th century England.   and some times it's as simple as the online sales are correct design, but wrong material.

but I've never seen a faire that will tell the patrons what to wear (beyond common decency)  so if you're vistiting, its fun to try and go for the local faires flavor, but theres no need to adhear to all thier rules.

Master James

Groomporter hit it right on the head.  If you are not on cast, wear whatever is street legal for your area and if somebody gives you noise about your garb, tell them what to do with their attitude and move on and enjoy yourself.  If you are on cast though, THAT is an entirely different ball of wax and you should have been given or will be given directions on that.
Why can't reality be more like faire?
Clan M'Crack
RenVet
Royal Order of Landsharks #59
FoMDRF
RFC #51

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

I am  aware that Bristol and Kansas City Ren Faires have guidlines for their "cast" members regarding fabrics, colors for certain classes, techniques to be used, etc. The have Costume Directors who see to that.

As a playtron myself, I feel more comfortable wearing garb that adheres to the codes for casts. Though there are times I do like to work outside the box when I am not wearing the Garb of a Noble.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

nliedel

Like others said, it varies from faire to faire. Some faires are very strict with cast, no elastic at all. Others say that if you can't see it, it don't matter. If you always want to be "appropriate" go for Historically accurate and you're fine. I'm not talking all the way, but stick as close as you can and you'll always be in style.
My journey from mundane to Ren Actor

gem

Quote from: Lady Kathleen of Olmsted on August 19, 2008, 10:00:23 PM
I am  aware that Bristol and Kansas City Ren Faires have guidlines for their "cast" members regarding fabrics, colors for certain classes, techniques to be used, etc. The have Costume Directors who see to that.

KCRF is my home fair, and I know that in some cases, they have allowed cast to wear mass-market garb:  One year we saw a woman on cast wearing the exact same gown we'd bought my MIL from Museum Replicas!  On the one hand, I was totally surprised that the CD passed it, but on the other, I felt darn proud of my MIL! LOL

DonaCatalina

Advertising something as 'Faire Approved' usually means no more
than 'New and Improved' on a box of laundry detergent.  ::)

If you're serious about H/A garb, check with your local faire on their cast garb standards for a starting point.

Otherwise, if you're a paying visitor; go with whatever your pocketbook will bear.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess