News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Picture of the Day!

Started by DeadBishop, May 04, 2008, 04:30:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Once Debauched

A new sign up at GSTLRF!

*evil giggle*
IWG  #3527 Local 29
IFRP #1228 Loblolly Lass, HMS Lying Bastard
FOKTOP
ROoL #29
Tequila:  The interactive shot

DeadBishop

Quote from: Once Debauched on May 26, 2008, 10:04:01 PM
A new sign up at GSTLRF!

*evil giggle*

Hey!   :P

LOL...what on earth is that from?

R/F.com member since 2003

Once Debauched

The sign is just hanging on an out of the way wall to the right of one of the staff doors.  I just happened to see it and walked over to take a look.  It's one of the many small things that have been added to enhance the fairgrounds. 

At least you know if you croak while at the St. Louis Faire you'll be "properly disposed" of.

IWG  #3527 Local 29
IFRP #1228 Loblolly Lass, HMS Lying Bastard
FOKTOP
ROoL #29
Tequila:  The interactive shot

DT_Masters

From Scarby, 24 May 2008 (DSLR evaluation run)

A Rose of the Forest

Twig

Shots: 131 digital (should be primarily worked up tonight), estimated 264 35 mm (developed over the next few weeks).

AbleArcher

SO which DLSR were you evaluating? And what was your conclusion?

Quote from: DT_Masters on May 27, 2008, 01:23:57 AM
From Scarby, 24 May 2008 (DSLR evaluation run)

A Rose of the Forest

Twig

Shots: 131 digital (should be primarily worked up tonight), estimated 264 35 mm (developed over the next few weeks).

DT_Masters

Quote from: AbleArcher on May 27, 2008, 07:58:42 PM
SO which DLSR were you evaluating? And what was your conclusion?

Canon EOS, Rebel XT.

From modelmayhem.com, photographer section, where I exist under the same name, what I wrote about it there:

I've had the camera for a month or two, but this was the first time I was actually able to use it. Had it in the square default basic mode and was at Scarborough Ren Fest.

Had a 2 GB chip in it, for a possible of 520, got about 133 ("curved L" mode) before running into a failure which I took at running out of power. I am not sure if that was the problem but after that, I switched back to the 35 mm Rebel for the rest of the day.

The DSLR worked perfectly with the telephoto that was purchased years before for the 35 mm. Quality of pictures were essentially excellent as shown by:

(Picture of "A Rose in the Forest" (Acorn)(see above))

The auto feature of going to the pop up built flash when in the shadows was a little bit irritating but on the other hand, the shadow on Twig's face

suggests that my next purchase might need to be a larger flash.

I'm still in the shoot it all now, look at it later mode. When I was looking at the back of the camera after a shot, it was to check camera status (pics left, etc.), not to look at the image. I'm not sure if I will ever be doing that since memory is cheap and easy, relatively speaking. It's power that's the issue and once taken, the power is gone regardless if the picture is kept or not.

Other items to note: the neck strap on the 35 mm broke that day. Fortunally, since I was carrying two housings, I just shifted one to another but in the future, it might be practical to carry a spare strap or pull ties...just in case.

The DLSR has the advantage that once can go a long time before having to tend to the camera, unlike the 35 mm with a 24 shot roll. The potential problem to this, however, is that in a hot environment like a faire, it could be that those frequent film changes allow one something of a "scheduled" rest while the DSLR may lead to unintentional over exertion.

Food for thought. (end of modelmayhem account)

This was my second Rebel, the first being a 35 mm which accounts for most of the pictures on my myspace site (http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=118158178) 2006-2007(Early 90's TX Ren Fests were done with a Pentax 35 mm, the S-3 Viking was done in the 70's with a 110 or even worse ... a 135!). I went with the digital Rebel for two main reasons. First of all, I liked the 35mm and hoped the digital was similar. So far, I've found it is. Secondly, I didn't want to have to buy new lenses and I didn't have to.

This was my second experience with a digital camera. I borrowed in 2006 Mom's pocket digital for a biology type sampling trip. It was okay, made nice pictures ...... but I am a SLR type photographer. I want to use the telephoto range, reach across the crowd, and get the picture. 

I bought it, I'm rather stuck with it ............... but I'm pretty satisfied so far with what I bought.

Joyce "Delfinia DuSwallow" Howard

VARF 2008 last weekend, Myself and niece.

MDRF Dandy  "Delfinia DuSwallow"
Sun'n Penny - Clan O'Morda
LandShark #71
Maker of Buttery Nipples

SleepyArcher

Took the new camera to the park....

Knight, FOP, Pirate, Woodsman...I am a man of many faces.

AbleArcher

Two that will hopefully bring a smile to your face.

I am very much looking forward to this Fall, when CRF will be in full swing.  Can't wait to try out my new equipment.  Maybe I'll learn how to use it by then ;D ???

Sir Martin

What new equipment did you add to your arsenal?   :)

Quote from: AbleArcher on June 04, 2008, 10:29:45 PM
I am very much looking forward to this Fall, when CRF will be in full swing.  Can't wait to try out my new equipment.  Maybe I'll learn how to use it by then ;D ???

susannah

Todd Key's Flying Debris Show...with special guest child...too cute!!

Susannah
Wench Raised in the South/ Loki Musketeer

renfairephotog

Searching Old files and found.

TN Highland games 2006
Twenty seasons of covering renaissance  festivals. Photos/calendar/blog.
Fairy photographer

AbleArcher

I have switched back to Nikon since shooting CRF last Fall.  I just purchased a brand new 70-200m 2.8 VR last week.  It's seems to be a pretty solid piece of equipment.  Might add a TC to it for the Joust, but it should be fine for walking around.

Quote from: Sir Martin on June 06, 2008, 12:02:43 AM
What new equipment did you add to your arsenal?   :)

Quote from: AbleArcher on June 04, 2008, 10:29:45 PM

susannah

AbleArcher...I'm saving up to buy that lens as we speak (or chat). Please share your thoughts about the lens and your pics taken with the lens when you can...I'd greatly appreciate it.
And now a picture for today....
Susannah
Wench Raised in the South/ Loki Musketeer

AbleArcher

Quote from: susannah on June 12, 2008, 07:35:30 AM
AbleArcher...I'm saving up to buy that lens as we speak (or chat). Please share your thoughts about the lens and your pics taken with the lens when you can...I'd greatly appreciate it.

It is just awesome.  I haven't used it a whole lot since I got it, but from what I have sen, it was well worth the coin.  Build quality is awesome.  AF speed is lightning quick.  It's sharp from 2.8 on up.  it's simply amazing.

I have tried substitues over the years...the Sigma 70-200mm 2.8, the Sigma 50-150mm 2.8, the Nikon 80-200mm 2.8.... All are pretty decent for the money.  But, If you ever expect to need the AF speed and the VR, there simply ins't anything that comes close. It's a lot of money, like I said, but I think it wil pay for itself in the long run.

Now, let me add my photo of the day.